SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
azzalea_gw

Hobby Lobby? Not what I expected at ALL!

azzalea
12 years ago

Well, we finally got a Hobby Lobby in our area. I'd been looking forward to it opening, was really excited because I'd heard so many good things about it.

It's a huge store (in the building where a large supermarket closed). BUT I thought it was a crafts store that had a lot of supplies at good prices. Not at all. Most of the store (at least 80 percent) was home decor stuff--not functional things like pretty sheets and fluffy towels, but useless wall art, cheaply made accent furniture, basically pretty tacky stuff that was way way way overpriced.

There were some fabrics--that were super expensive compared to other places I shop, and a few very short aisles of crafts. I was looking for something to cross stitch. It was really hard to find anything for less than $18-20 for the kit. Needless to say, I didn't end up buying anything but a package of cake boards (which, surprisingly, weren't too highly priced.)

Guess I had the wrong idea about the place to start with, or I wouldn't have been so disappointed.

On the upside, there was a new Dollar Tree in the same shopping center, and it was a good one--way better than the one at the other end of the city, so that was nice.

Comments (27)

• maire_cate
    12 years ago

Azzalea - After reading about Hobby Lobby here for years I've often wondered what is was like.

I just checked their web site and entered my zip code - but nothing came up. Is this Hobby Lobby near your country home or city home?

• maire_cate
    12 years ago

Oh I found it - I clicked on nearest store and found out it's near your country place. Well it doesn't sound like it's worth driving to check it out.

• Related Discussions

Bird stuck in Hobby Lobby

Q

Comments (1)
    There was a bird in our grocery store I reached in shelf to get something .It flew out scared me half to death.He was there forweeks.They had food on shelf I saw but Im thinking poison.
    ...See More

Hobby Lobby sale...

Q

Comments (12)
    Here's my stuff. Two bunches each of the fall foliage, 3 bunches of the greenery, 6 bunches of the berrys, 4 of each of the garland, 5 candles, and the candle rings were a Big Lots purchase from their clearanced fall decor. I use copper in my Christmas/Winter decorations, so I can use everything but the 4 bunches of fall leaves. I'm going to go fancy on the garlands like the one Mommacass posted from a blog. I loved Kathleen_li's use of the candle rings around the soup bowls on her table setting. I can't wait to try that!
    ...See More

Glass blocks @ Hobby Lobby -

Q

Comments (2)
    I'm also sorry you were disappointed with your glass blocks from Hobby Lobby. I recently bot 25 of them (50% off) none were chipped. As far as the Christmas stuff, I've already stated my Christmas crafts, since I have move time in the summer and I'm not rushed the last month or so. I like the idea of being able to go to hobby lobby and get my supplies. I know the hobby lobby in Arizona (Avondale)is really great to shop at, and the people are helpful and really friendly.
    ...See More

Hobby Lobby Glass Sale

Q

Comments (15)
    Hi ! I have been reading this board for about a month now, ever since my sister told me about it . ( After all..... what are sisters for ? ) She kept it a secret as long as she could before telling me . After reading the post about HL stores having a sale, I had to check it out for myself. The selection was still pretty decent, but underneath one of those sale ads that they post on the shelves where the sale item is, I found 2 pieces of light green glass, that had been marked down to $ 2.49. Wow ! Was I ever excited ! My husband came looking for me and he ask what I was doing, I told him I was checking every slot to see if they had any more glass marked down ! He thought I was nuts, and just went on about his merry way. I was in heaven for the rest of the day. Love all the creations that everyone does, and especially the pictures. I just registered today, and this is my first post, but just had to let you in on the secret of a HL sale !
    ...See More
  • iowagirl2006
    12 years ago

Watch for the sales - you can find some neat things there - and generally at %50 (which tells you it was prices too high to start with)

One of the things I love from Hobby Lobby is their wrapping paper. It is nice and heavy and has the cut lines on the back.

I have also found that some Hobby Lobby's are really neat and some are not. They might even have the same stuff in them, but I guess it is how they are put together...some are better than others.

And....don't go on Sunday - they aren't open! :)

• marie_ndcal
    12 years ago

I agree, some are better that others. They also run ads in the paper with 40% coupon, but ours run lots of sales. That is what you watch for.

• glenda_al
    12 years ago

I enjoy Hobby Lobby, for their buys on sale door decotrations, plus other items.

Love love love Dollar Tree

• gabriell_gw
    12 years ago

I love Hobby LobbyThe one in my town is wonderful.Almost every week there is 40% off coupon in local newspaper.Most things are discounted 50% so sometimes don't need the coupon. I buy yarn there and think they have a really good selection. It's one of my favorite stores.

• minnie_tx
    12 years ago

They often havea 40% off one item in the paper . Also if you are on their email list one will come in the mail It takes time to know a store and they have lots of sale

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    12 years ago

Love Hobby Lobby! I started out going to the original store it was totally different from the ones now. It truly was a great craft store. When they began to expand into other locations they began to change. I remember when the first one came to Plano and we went we were amazed, I told my husband oh wow Hobby Lobby went Plano! The ones here are the same. But they constantly have 50% off sales which are great plus those coupons.
    I do miss the big original store some time.
    If you find any imperfections the management is awesome at discounting them.
    I buy a lot of my jewelry making supplies there.
    The sale after Christmas is the best! Great Christmas decorations and stuff at deep discounts.

I had the pleasure of meeting the original owner, he attended a red tie event I attended every year, very nice down to earth guy, gave wonderful donations to the event. They are very religious which is why all their stores are closed on Sunday. They own a few other store chains including Mardel and Hemisphere. Every one that I knew that worked for them always had good things to say.

• OklaMoni
    12 years ago

correct me if I am wrong... but I think, Hobby Lobby started in Oklahoma City. It was a GREAT place to shop for all kinds of art supplies.

It really is like Azzalea describes it now. Yes, they have coupons in the paper, and yes, you can go to Hobby Lobby online, and print out coupons.

But you can't ever use them if their stuff is "on sale". I never buy "regular price" items there. Just to expensive.

I do go there over and over with 40 % off coupons printed off on my computer to buy yarn I want.. till I have all I need. :)

Moni

• FlamingO in AR
    12 years ago

We have wonderful Hobby Lobby stores here. The center of the store is decor items and the entire perimeter has an aisle or 2 for almost every imaginable craft and seasonal items. They seem to keep up with what is popular and phase out things that aren't, or have had their day (like cross-stitch, it's just not as popular as it was in the 80's/90's, I hardly ever see a Xstitch shop anymore, but embroidery is hugely popular) and they don't carry as much fabric as they used to, but they expanded several other depts to keep up with demand, like beading/jewelry. I can usually find whatever it is I'm needing, or at least something to substitute for it.

The sales are wonderful and being able to print out 40% coupons is nice, too. I hardly ever pay full price for anything anymore. The staff is very helpful and there are a lot of them.

I like Jo-ann's, too, I was in both stores in Fayetteville AR yesterday and I got great deals at both of them. Jo-ann's had more sewing stuff and books on crafts. I had a fun 2 hours.

• jannie
    12 years ago

Don't have a Hobby Lobby near me. (Long Island NY)

• Caran79
    12 years ago

I love Hobby Lobby -- and we have a wonderful one. And
    have been to another in another State and it is
    wonderful. Not sure what you were looking for.

But... no, they don't have sheets and towels - maybe
    a different type of store is what you need. They
    aren't like Dollar Tree though.

• arkansas girl
    12 years ago

I think they price their goods with the expectation that people will buy when they are 50% off or with a 40% off coupon. I wish they would just have good prices and stop with the 50% off games.

• azzalea
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Let's see--

Yes, it's sort of near the country house (about 6 miles, since I'm at the other end of town from the shopping).

I'm interested to see that a number of people do agree with me about the store's merchandise.

Will keep an eye out for coupons. At the moment, being between the 2 houses, I don't actually get a paper at either.

I wasn't particularly looking for sheets, just making a comment that the home decor stuff wasn't the USEFUL kind of thing, just decorative--and really, how much of that stuff can you really use in one's home?

I will go back--I do need to take a closer look at the craft supplies, and now that I have the 'lay of the land', will know what areas of the store to avoid (it's a huge place, loads of pointless walking if you don't know where things are).

Will mention that the checker was VERY pleasant.

Guess the big thing was, I was really expecting a large, extensive craft store. But crafts alone? Michael's and AC Moore's (both of which have several stores around the area) have much, much more, from my first impression of HL.

• susanjf_gw
    12 years ago

it can be overwhelming..but i must say when we were shopping to replace christmas stockings that were lost (that's another story) they were sure cheaper than bronners (aweful selection and pricey) or another local christmas place here in detroit...

the funny thing? in the community that's closest to me, between ikea on one end and hobby lobby near the end of this street, the area has become one of the busiest streets in se mi, lol...and all the stores who have located between the 2, are busy all the time...in fact so much so they trying to figure out how to handle the traffic for locals, much better...i only wish they'd consider one of the empty kmarts to help our community...

• Marilyn Sue McClintock
    12 years ago

I have always liked the Hobby Lobby stores I have been to. I don't think much of the little furniture items they have, but I don't need any furniture. I always buy what is on sale or use a coupon. I do enjoy looking at the decorations they have and we buy all of our artificial flowers there to make floral arrangements for church. Somethings were bought there for the recent birthday party we had for Alyssa and Kolston. The ones I have been in are always nice and clean. I too like Dollar Tree and Deals, but they are entirely different kinds of stores.

Sue in Central Indiana

• emagineer
    12 years ago

I've loved the store for years. It has changed a bit, but more due to what crafts are popular now. And I never pay full price, when things are 50% off is when I buy. They have so much inventory, usually waiting means you won't lose out buying what is wanted.

If you have a specific item wanted, just go and enjoy wandering around. Forget paying full price, bunches go on sale every week. My last best buy was a tall storage unit on wheels with 2 dozen drawers. $29 because it had a drawer that needed gluing together. Now I'm seeing this same piece for $300. Pays to dig around.

Upholstery Fabric is always 30% off the tagged price. Still a bit high though.

Glad to know they are expanding, when living in the west I sure missed them.

• susan_on
    12 years ago

If you don't get a newspaper to get coupons, you can go to their site and print off coupons. We don't have a Hobby Lobby here, but we have Michael's Craft Stores, and for people who have a smart phone, you can just show them your coupon on your phone- you don't even have to print anything out. Maybe Hobby Lobby does that too.

• pekemom
    12 years ago

Haven't gone in a while, I have a lot of decorative stuff already...but I always tried to get the 50% off things when I did go.

• pattico_gw
    12 years ago

The fabrics in our Hobby Lobby are priced high too...but...there is always at least 30% off. I don't know why they don't just lower the price. Maybe they thing we will be getting a good buy or something.
    I do know the fabrics are better quality than Walmart.

Hancock fabrics are high priced too and they have a lot of the furniture type items too.

And it seems like the seasonal items are always 40% off right from the start of the season. I'd rather they just post the price it will end up being than having to take the time to figure out how much it will be after the 40%.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    12 years ago

Yes the entire family is from Oklahoma and the original store was up on the North side in OKC. I have not been back to OKC since I moved away in '97 so no idea if it is still there or how much it has changed. For a long time they were only in Oklahoma. I really missed the stores when I moved to Texas then they started putting them in but like I said they were very different and had lots of furniture and dishes and stuff.

I have bought a couple of little tables just the right small size to set beside the sofa on each side for a drink or cup of coffee, very well made. And I got a table that goes behind the sofa, beautiful, metal work with a fleur de lis in the center, it had one of the bracer boards on the back side that had come undone, I asked the manager for a discount he gave me the table for $35!! amazing price. We took it home and my husband put wood glue and a clamp on it and now it is fine. Everyone comments on how beautiful it is. I collect fleur de lis items and Hobby Lobby has been a treasure trove for me!! My husband has put me on a Fleur de lis limit LOL But I had a lot of wall space that needed decorating. You can get really beautiful door knobs and drawer pulls and even face plates for the light switches. We replaced all the cheap plastic ones here with beautiful cast metal ones that have have a vine design and tiny fleur de lis. We got all of them heavily discounted at HL.

It is one of the stores that my husband loves to go to, we never leave empty handed.

• linda_in_iowa
    12 years ago

After hearing about HL for years on the KT, I was so excited when I moved to Iowa and found HL in my town. I have bought some yardage there but haven't even been in the store for a couple of years. It is very overpriced and the furniture and home decor remind me of Cost Plus but more expensive.

• Lily316
    12 years ago

I have never heard of Hobby Lobby stores. The coupon thing sounds like Michael's and AC Moore. They always have 40/50% off coupons in the paper but then most of their stuff is on sale anyway.

• vannie
    12 years ago

Our Hobby Lobby is always very busy. It's always clean, and the staff are very helpful. I respect them for closing on Sundays. Our Chick-fil-As also close on Sunday. That's very admirable to me.

• tami_ohio
    12 years ago

Azzalea, just go on line for the coupons and ads. No newspaper needed! My HL is an hour away, so, even tho I get the newspapers, I don't get one that has their ads in it. If I am going that way, I just go on line and look at the ad, & print the coupon.

• Adella Bedella
    12 years ago

None of the craft stores are really all that great now. So much is cheap imports and overpriced stuff. I used to love to go to the fabric stores. I can't find many of those now. Michaels carries a lot of little stuff, but not a lot I need. Joannes is out of my way. Hobby Lobby has the most stuff, but not neccesarily a lot of selection. I get my pictures framed there during the 1/2 off sales.

• emagineer
    12 years ago

The sales pricing is more of a marketing deal. They get us to go in and hope our "bargain gene" kicks in. Knowing they will always discount something, I never pay full price. When they say sale, I really think it means there is a ton of stuff sitting in back and allows them to rotate quickly. If you do find something you want multiples of, ask and they will go get it or will order in at the sale's price. I do like their employees and customer service. It must be a horrendous job to keep things in order, dusted and unbroken with customers digging around.