SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jessyf_gw

Thank you phone buddy for the recipe help!

jessyf
15 years ago

I was gifted with too many fuyu persimmons. They started going soft (the hachiyas HAVE to turn soft before they are edible. Fuyus are best eaten firm out of hand but do turn into something quite transformable when soft). I processed most of them into persimmon sauce and started on one pudding recipe which called for 4 cups mushed persimmon and 4 cups sugar. Midway through I changed my mind and wanted a 'quick bread' more than a 'pudding'.

How to fix the recipe? I figured out from a bunch of web recipes that I had too much sugar for most breads, and the sugar would have been better creamed with butter. Too late.

I emailed LindaC my chosen transformation recipe, Spiced Persimmon Bread from Dianasdesserts.com (great website), and asked her to help me change directions. I ended up calling her instead because sometimes I want an immediate answer and I need to clarify on the spot. We ended up keeping the Dianasdesserts recipe as is and omitting the buttermilk and other non-egg liquids.

The results (hey Marigene, note the plate from your swap box!): two 9x5 loaves, and 12 muffins, nine of which fit nicely:

Thanks Linda! It is nice to have you in my cell phone directory, along with a lot of other CFers, bwhahaa! (how many of you have I called from the market to ask for looking up a recipe?)

Comments (2)