SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
asheltiemom

My dog scratches at the floor to 'fluff' it up

asheltiemom
16 years ago

I have the most amazing 13 year old sheltie that I adopted 1-1/2 years ago. He used to be a showdog when he was young, so he's been very well trained.

However, he has this tendency to scratch at the floor or his bed to "fluff" it up before he lies down. It's a digging motion that he does. (DH trims our dog's nails down to the quick every two weeks, so I don't think that he's trying to file them down.) He did this with carpet at our old house and our apartment, and he's tried to fluff up our concrete patio on more than one occasion.

This wasn't really a problem before (except for waking us at night because he digs right in front of our bedroom door) because we had a house with older carpet that was going to be replaced anyway, and our apartment is, well, an apartment with cheap carpet because they know they're renting to pet owners. Now, we're buying a new house with dark hardwood floors and very nice carpet. I thought about buying beds for every possible nook and corner our dog would like to sleep, so he'd scratch at the bed and not the floor. But, I've seen him scratch 'n' sleep right next to his bed, so it's likely buying a dozen dog beds wouldn't work.

I bought Muttluks Hott Dogger boots this week for his front paws to see how they would work, but the boots fall off unless I put the Velcro on very tightly, and the dog picks at the Velcro because I think either they keep his feet too hot, or it's restricting blood flow and making them feel weird. Our dog is normally very tolerant of wearing stuff..... he wears a diaper because of a prostate problem, and he's worn doggie clothing before without bothering it.

Does anyone else have experience with their dogs doing this? I'm thinking of buying the more expensive all-weather Muttluks that have an elastic ankle to see if those work. That, or buying first aid self-cling vet wrap to wrap up his toes with. When the cheaper Muttluks were on his front paws, they did work, he didn't dig at the floor, so I think the trick is to cover up his front toes.

Any advice you have is appreciated.... we move into the new house in less than a month, and I'd like to gradually introduce, or train, my dog to not dig before we move.

Comments (19)