16 years ago

Enjoy.

Lacquered Chicken

3 to 4 pound chicken, cut into 8 pieces

½ cup soy sauce

2 tablespoons honey

grated zest of ½ navel orange and juice from the whole orange

1 tablespoon finely grated ginger

6 scallions, white and light green parts, 5 coarsely chopped, remaining scallion cut into slender matchsticks

2 cloves garlic, minced

1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil

Half a pound thin spaghetti or soba noodles, optional

You could also serve this with white rice.

Place chicken pieces in a large heavy-duty plastic bag. Put the soy sauce, honey, orange juice and zest, ginger, chopped scallions and the garlic in a food processor and whir until puréed. Add the sesame oil and pulse just to blend. Pour marinade over the chicken and allow to marinate in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour and up to 3 hours.

Preheat oven to 350°F.

Place the chicken in a single layer, skin side up in a small roasting pan or baking dish (I use a sauté pan that can go in the oven). Pour three quarters of the marinade over the chicken. Reserve the remaining marinade for the noodles, if serving.

Roast chicken, basting frequently for 45 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. When chicken is cooked, turn on the broiler and put the chicken under it for about 5 minutes*, continuing to baste frequently or until the chicken is beautifully lacquered.

Again, if serving this with noodles, bring the reserved marinade to a boil and boil for 1 minute. Pour this over the freshly-cooked noodles and toss well. Adjust S & P seasonings.

*I cooked the chicken on top of the stove, and once the chicken was almost cooked, I turned up the heat to Medium-High to reduce the sauce to a rich glaze. Basting the chicken frequently while the sauce reduced.

My adaptation of a recipe found in Café Boulud Cookbook.

Sol

Comments (9)