SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
doucanoe

What's For Dinner #248

doucanoe
16 years ago

Well, the last one FINALLY hit the 100 mark so let's see if this one moves any faster! LOL

Tried a new recipe tonight, Chicken Caesar Lasagne. We liked it alot, it is healthy and full of good for you stuff. The indiviual serving pics were blurry, so here is one of the entire panful. Served with multigrain bread and garlic butter.

{{!gwi}}

Figured I may as well show off my weekend bounty as long as I was downloading photos.

{{!gwi}}

14 pints of Annie's Salsa, 4 pints of Sharon's Stewed Tomatoes. I also made Ginger Pear Preserves, but they turned out way too lemony for me....not sure what to do with the 4 jars of it. Glad I didn't make more!

Linda

Comments (101)

• Terri_PacNW
    16 years ago

Thanks AM...I'll look at that link better. We have alot of vehicle travelling too.
    The little ones just got home. (30 minutes late~new bus driver apparently) They have to scarf down a snack, Kellan has to get ready for football practice and we have to leave in about 20 minutes. I drop him off, head to the HS to pick up the oldest from his football practice, then back to Kellan's practice until 7:30. Home, dinner, homework..bed...

This lost bus driver took some crucial time away!!!

oh and dinner will be sweet and sour pork..

• Gina_W
    16 years ago

I haven't been cooking as much as I'd like to. Well, really I would love to be able to cook every night. Sigh. Just going to have to wait a bit longer. I read some post I made here on the wayback machine eons ago stating how I was looking to retire in a couple years. Ack! I'm behind schedule!

Recently I've been out of town and now I'm playing ping pong like a maniac, so dinners are on the run at best. Yesterday I managed to make dinner - seared scallops, caprese salad and a green salad. Belgian chocolates for dessert.

After work we're playing ping pong for an hour, then going home to grill some lamb chops, with green beans and salad.

• Related Discussions

Final debate. What’s for dinner?

Q

Comments (22)
    Split Pea Soup with chunks of ham. No debate for me....just can't....DH on zoom call with a friend he has a martini with every Thursday eve. All virtual since COVID except for once in our backyard with social distancing. They've done this for years. It's my quiet time :)
    ...See More

What’s for Dinner #387

Q

Comments (102)
    Shambo, I'm so sorry to hear about your husband. I know he had some health issues and you were cooking low salt and healthy meals for him. I'm sending hugs and strong thoughts and prayers to your and your family. Jack, we are kindred spirits, I swear. When I make twice baked potatoes I'll make a whole sheet pan full of them, mine usually just has cheese, butter and sour cream, occasionally I'll add bacon. I freeze them and then package them usually two per package, Mother loves them and they're easy to heat up. Of course someone is always digging through my freezer to see if I have any, all of the grandkids and the kids love them and they make a fast and easy supper. Jasdip, as you know, I love potatoes in just about any form, so being able to grab a package quickly is a luxury. They are quite durable too, LOL. Neely, I have a pile of butternut squash in storage, if only I had a pile of prawns too! sleevendog, that looks pretty to me! Delicious too. No pictures here, today we had hamburgers! Tomorrow we're making sandwiches and having cake and ice cream for Madison's 9th birthday. No party this year, of course, but we bought her a hoverboard, so she'll be happy, even with just her folks and Elery and I. I baked a strawberry cake too, with sea turtles on top, her choice. I'll try to remember to take pictures, and hopefully she won't break an arm or a leg, riding the thing around the kitchen island or something... Annie
    ...See More

FYI: 4/14/22: 25.3 F --- 4/15/22: 24.8 F

Q

Comments (4)
    Pretty sure my minimum this winter was 20.7F on February 23 but plants were fully dormant then. This April freeze was kind of a big deal --at least in my garden-- because there had been major heat before now causing many of my plants to flush into new growth, which was then destroyed by the frost. Interestingly, my Eucalyptus pauciflora niphophila which was planted in late winter has tremendous new growth, more than anything else, and seems completely unfazed by the freeze.
    ...See More

What’s for Dinner #408 Late Fall 2023

Q

Comments (97)
    No interesting cooking for people over here, but I’ve been cooking tasty food for dogs :-) We’re in Berkeley taking care of our friends’ very elderly and reportedly on his last legs little dog. I am, of course, determined that he will not expire on my watch, and when he eats enthusiastically I feel better. So, what to feed him? The base is a tasty homemade chicken stock, made from a roasted chicken, carrots, celery, onion - just like you’d make a chicken stock for yourself. We cook a batch of rice with that stock. Other chicken is browned then simmered, and minced up. His kibble is soaked in more stock. Then some more cooked chicken and carrots get pureed with stock into a sort of gravy-paste. Rice, kibble, and gravy are mixed, then briefly warmed in the microwave. Finally, crisp bacon is crumbled on top. I am pleased to say that Elderly Dog positively gobbles his food, cleaning his bowl reliably enough that I can give him his pills crushed in the food. I’d happily eat it myself, actually, except that there’s no salt or spice. Well, I don’t really like kibble. All the fixings are in stored in Tupperware so feeding doesn’t take long.
    ...See More
  • doucanoe
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sharon good to have you (and your lovely photos) back!

Annie...nice tomatoes! I love BLT's.

Sol ya really oughtta try one! Oh, and I love how you cut the letters out of your pot pie crust!

Kathleen, you are so lucky to have a man that bakes! Tim will cook, on occasion, but it's usually some kind of heart attack on a plate dish! LOL He never bakes.

Maureen, so glad you did not suffer any serious injury in the car crash! Hit and run is a serious offense, I hope they find the driver of the other car!

There's a cold front moving thru, last night was chilly so I made chili (hehe). Tonight will be "leftover buffet night" We have leftover Swedish Meatballs, Lasagne, Chili, and I also have some Baked Penne with Pesto and Sausage that I made a while back and froze the leftovers. So we'll just graze on whatever sounds good at the time we feel hungry!

Linda

• kathleen_li
    16 years ago

Thank you Chase, for the recipe. I am the wimp here, my Irish insides can't take the peppers. And DH is a good cleaner upper too, lol. He is a very good cook, and baker too. Plus he can fix things...I'll keep him...37 yrs so far.
    Linda, DH is the make sure you have your greens man here, always a healthy eater....I am not crazy about veggies, other than salad...
    Thank you, AM, the pitcher was a gift...DH made me a shelf for above my curtain by the table in the kitchen, so I have a little collection. And you know when people think you collect things, that's what they give you! No more though, dh doesn't want shelves above all the windows!!!

Gardengrl, if you scroll back to end of July you will see we had a sausagethon. Some recipes and pics posted there. I made them for the first time then...had the attach and stuffer for years and finally tried it!

• wizardnm
    16 years ago

Sol, Kim saw your pic of the Pot Pie, now I have to make one....thanks, I think :P

Chase, I just copied the sausage recipe, I'll make my own next time too.

Annie....I'm just so dang happy for you and El... can't wait for you both to come for dinner next month. The news sure did put me in a good mood. I love it when friends are happy!

Terri...you sure do have a busy schedule.

AM...I read your blog, you're another busy MOM!

Dinner last night was Ham and Swiss grilled sammies...
    Dinner tonight was Sloppy Joe's, I haven't had one in ages. Made FF's too. No pic's....hehe

Sunday I fooled around making a special salsa, Cherry Peach..all fruit, no tomatoes. My sample tasted good, but it needs to set a bit, then we'll see how it really is..

Nancy

• gardengrl
    16 years ago

Maureen, here's that lasagne recipe. It was good, but a bit of a pain to make. Anywhoo...

Zucchini and Pesto Lasagne

1/2 lb. dried lasagne noodles (I used WW)
    1 cup pesto
    16 oz. ricotta cheese (I used skim, lowfat)
    1/2 cup plain, non-fat yogurt
    6 medium zucchini
    1 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes
    3 cloves garlic, peeled & chopped
    2 T olive oil
    salt
    pepper
    freshed grated Parmesan
    8 - 10 fresh basil leaves, cut into julienne

Saute garlic in olive oil until garlic is pale gold (don't let burn). Add tomatoes, salt & pepper to taste and simmer for 25 minutes. Note: you could probably skip this step if you already have some good tomato sauce at hand.

Cook lasagne according to directions, set aside.

Blanch zucchini in salted water 6 - 8 minutes, then shock in a bowl of ice water. When cool, slice zucchini in 1/4 inch slices lengthwise (I used a mandoline).

Combine pesto, ricotta, and yogurt in a separate bowl, mix till smooth.

In a greased 9 x 13 in. casserole dish, spread a small amount of tomato sauce on bottom, top with lasagne noodles, then pesto/ricotta mixture, then strips of zucchini. Repeat layers with zucchini as the last layer on top (I had 2 layers total). Sprinkle with parmesan cheese and fresh basil, cover with tin foil, and bake at 400 for 20 - 25 minutes. Remove foil, and bake for another 10 -15 minutes till golden brown on top. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Serve with remaining tomato sauce.

• celticmoon
    16 years ago

Annie, we did the BLT's also the other day!! Yum!

Sol, your incredible pictures blow my mind.

Here last night was salmon roasted with greenbeans, basil & little red and yellow tomatoes. I make it every couple weeks. Evolved out of a Jamie Oliver thing I saw in a Chicago paper while waiting for my car to be retrieved from whereever the heck the hotel stashed it for days.

Tonight was an improvised bake o sliced zucchini, tomatoes, basil, olives, and cous cous. A garden feast. Layered it all:

Then layered it more to the top:

Topped with more cheese and olives, covered with a plate and MW'd the heck out of it to cook the veggies and cous cous and melt the cheeses:

Sinks a bit as it cooks. Tasty, but next time I'll remember the onion and garlic.... Duh.

• msafirstein
    16 years ago

Cooper, could you post your recipe for the Green Fried tomatoes? I've wanted to try these for the longest time but just never get around to it.

Sol, your labeled Chicken Pot Pie is adorable! You have so much fun! I looked up Schiacciata and it "means crushed, flattened or squashed in Italian, and is the name for flatbread in Tuscany." Your Schiacciata looks delicous!

Maureen, did you ever find something for your little pears?

AM, I thoroughly enjoy your blog!

Kathleen, I have a pitcher collection too! Somehow it got started and I just kept at it. Not sure what I'm going to do with all my pitchers now as my kitchen cabs go to the ceiling so no shelf there any more!

Nancy, you are killing me with the Cherry Peach Salsa....what a gorgeous color!!!!! Do share the recipe please.

Tonight we are having Ann's Salisbury Steak. The green peppercorns what a taste explosion...excellent. Any ways, DH complained about having chicken so much, 3 times in 10 days. So tonight I am making beef and forgot that DH is working late. Oh well, tomorrow we're having Linda's Chicken Caesar Lasagna!

Going through my beef recipes I ran across Sharon's Beef Stroganoff recipe. It is perfect weather here for Stroganoff and I am making this next week.

Michelle

• kathleen_li
    16 years ago

Dinner last night was OUT, at a casual steakhouse on the North Fork. Good steaks and ribs, and good prices, if you can get over the paper napkins! (but they bring a lot of them!)
    I had steak, baked sweet potato with cinnamon butter, free rib appet to share, lobster bisque and dh had cheesecake with oreo topping and coffee. All included..12.99, I couldn't have bought the steaks for that price!
    The best part...there were 4 Army guys from a nearby base having dinner. One of them took the 76 oz steak challenge. It took up the whole platter. He had to eat it in an hour. Everyone cheered and clapped when he finished..it was a light moment on a very dark 9/11 anniversary day here in NY...
    {{!gwi}}

{{gwi:1437074}}
    {{gwi:1437075}}

• msazadi
    16 years ago

Kathleen, which base do you all have on the island? God bless ?rank Riviere! LOL his future cardiologist will have a word with him...;-)

Michelle, I wasn't all that keen on the pickled seckels so Dick has been eating the little gems. Today (!!!) I found a recipe that suits me in The Joy of Pickling. I had that book on the end table but I had only looked thru the other 4 I got at the library. This one pickles them whole but with cinnamon and sugar etc. I'll copy it for next year or if I find any more seckels. Maybe Balt on Sunday...

Does anyone use this book? She says she is a Master Food Preserver, and I'd say that is not a title to be flung round easily.

I got more energy work today, and boy when she touched the base of my skull...ouch. I hadn't felt any aches or pains anywhere but Janie's touch sure worked on clearing out a lot of potential. My car should be ready by Friday...

Just leftovers today to clear out the fridge. Tomorrow it's Boys Night In and I'm thinking...only thing for sure is peanut butter choc chip bars. Priorities!

Btw Sol, I meant to say...that pie is 'precious' with the little letter cutouts...EVEN too!! Geeze, you're good. Maureen

• msazadi
    16 years ago

Just in case you wonder how small...

• Terri_PacNW
    16 years ago

That's some great shots Kathleen..Did he get it for free?

Maureen..I believe he's a Seargent First Class.

• kathleen_li
    16 years ago

Yes, he got it for free, that is why we all clapped and cheered.
    Maureen, there is a sm. base in Westhampton/Calverton area. I am not sure which one they were from. There is also an armory in the area. And yes, I thought about the cadiologist too, but that is because we are not young! I didn't even know what a cardiologist was when I was his age, LOL. But to make you feel better, he didn't have dessert!

Tonight we had chicken marsala, mashed potatoes, and sauteed sesame asparagus.

• doucanoe
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh...I am so ashamed! Tonight I had a craving and I just HAD to do it! We had grilled ham and cheese sammies and deep fried beer battered onion rings!

I can't remember the last time I deep fried anything, but now I have some idea why it has been so long...P.U.! My house smells like a dive bar! LOL

Ah well, that oughtta take care of it for at least another 20 years!(and I bet the smell will linger that long as well...)

Kathleen, your dinner looks fab. DANG! If I lived in NY I could have come over for that and wouldn't have had to eat fried foods! LOL

Linda

• kathleen_li
    16 years ago

Nancy, I LOVE beer battered onion rings! And after not having fried foods for 8 yrs, I am now gallbladder free and indulge on occasion, why not?? A dive bar, HAHA. Your dinner sounds yummy to me!

• kathleen_li
    16 years ago

Linda, not Nancy, sorry.

• Terri_PacNW
    16 years ago

Kathleen, Yummy!
    Linda..your dinner sounds devine too..

We had sloppy joes on "my" honey wheat rolls, homemade flour tortilla chips and salsa and I had some beets I roasted earlier that I forgot about in the fridge...

I'll post a picture tomorrow..

And Tomorrow's dinner I think will be sausage in cream sauce.

• msazadi
    16 years ago

Ooops...there's another household with a pot of beets waiting to be skinned in the fridge. (Thanks Terri!)

I made peanut butter bars for dessert tonight. Simple recipe given to me, but my chocchips were not in the mood to melt on top. They ARE old since I have had to hide them from you know who, and I did forget how many I had.

The chicken legs are in the oven roasting with Northwoods, lemon and garlic on them. I'll finish them up on top of some potatoes to be roasted and a chard gratin. That's a guy meal I think.

My neighbor gave us a batch of veggies yesterday...small round eggplants, hot banana peppers and some tiny cayenne looking green ones, and some purple sweet peppers. I thought it was a lot of eggplant at first! I may do a small dish of ratatouille type relish too. A bit more color to the table.

Maureen

• Terri_PacNW
    16 years ago

{{!gwi}}

Turkey Sloppy Joes served with home fried flour tortilla chips and roasted beets.

• daria
    16 years ago

The other night I made skewers of sea scallops, homegrown cherry tomatoes, and bacon. I skewered a slice of bacon at the end, put on a scallop, folded the bacon over it, popped a cherry tomato on, folded the bacon over, etc. until the skewer was full (I put 2 slices of bacon on some). I grilled them on the gas grill for about 10 minutes per side (I have a grill pan which helped). They were yummy!

• Terri_PacNW
    16 years ago

Daria, What a great idea to "ribbon" the bacon over and around the other igredients..

• canarybird01
    16 years ago

We went out for our midday dinner on Tuesday as I was a bit busy and our nearest supermarket was closed to do inventory that day (any excuse to go out) and the weather was too fine to stay in the kitchen. We went to the inexpensive but good little patio restaurant facing the Botanical Garden. Wolf had German meatloaf - leberkaese - with bratkartoffeln, egg and salad and I had chicken breast escalope with the same potatoes and salad. Great value...with wine, water, beer and coffee, the total bill was 15 Euros....around US $20.

• kathleen_li
    16 years ago

Sharon, beautiful pics and outstanding meals. It all looks so beautiful! And very reasonable too!
    Tonight we had babyback ribs and pepper steak and rice, minus the peppers. I had some beef I wanted to use up, before the weekend.. And a happy one to you too, Cb!

The hydrangea are turning pinkish green, time for a wreath for the candle....

• homesforsale
    16 years ago

Sharon..nice to see your pics again!

Love looking at what everyone's eating:) And doing!

• Terri_PacNW
    16 years ago

OOOH Kathleen...I love your wreath..dinner looks good too..
    Getting ready to go start on mine..
    Gonna make sausage with cream sauce, minus the tomatoes...
    Lori's or Monique's recipe...although I think they are basically the same..gotta look closer at them.

• msafirstein
    16 years ago

Maureen, look at those cute, little pears! I know I would buy these just because they are so cute!

Kathleen your Chicken Marsala looks so good and I am starving. But I think you are showing off a bit with the BBQ ribs AND pepper steak...LOL! Just kidding as both look fabulous and I am sure they tasted good too!

Terri, the sloppy joe, could it be any bigger? LOL!

Daria, your sea scallops sound wonderful and nice touch wrapping the bacon too!

Sharon, the Hake Fish looks and sounds just so good. I don't miss living in FL but I sure miss the fresh seafood!

It was perfect weather to can so I fired up the BWB and finished up my pears with Pear/Apple Chutney and Plum-Kissed Pear Butter. I found a new respect for my Crock Pot. I put the Plum-kissed Pear Butter in it this morning, ignored it most of the day except for a stir now and again and by 3:00 pm the butter was nice and thick. From now on all butters are in the crock pot!

Michelle

• kathleen_li
    16 years ago

Ahem, Michelle, who's showing off...look at all those beautiful jars of goodness, and on such a pretty plate, too! Your pantry must be full of all those lovely goodies, and mine just has mustard and ketchup, etc.!
    My dinner was something old, something new, the beef was reinvented eyeround I wanted to get rid of, so I slipped in some ribs so it didn't just seem like leftovers!

• Terri_PacNW
    16 years ago

Well done Kathleen..reinventing leftovers is a good thing...
    I've vowed to do just that! I'm tired of throwing things out every week!

Michelle..that's some picture! Green with Envy am I!
    My pears are still not ready, but it's quite obvious that this year since I didn't water them..they are going to stay small..I ate one while mowing the back yard..CRISP! LOL but not much pearness..not sour though.

Well Michelle if you're gonna eat one..might as well eat a big one. LOL (really not that big) just looks like it...I had one for lunch today..enough fixin's leftover for one more tomorrow. LUCKY ME!

Dinner is halfway done tonight..just have to wait a bit to "throw" it together so Hubby and #2 are eating fresh food too.

• stacy3
    16 years ago

I'm jealous of all those with picker uppers. I sometimes avoid cooking because of the picking up. :-0

Gorgeous photos, I wish I had time to do some canning yet, but the PTO is crazy at the beginning of the year. Plus b'day parties, etc.

Anyway, my friend Lori's daughter Syd asked me to help her with a surprise party for her mom on Tuesday, so I baked cupcakes that Syd and Will decorated - vanilla cake with cream cheese frosting. No - she's not 29 - that was a joke. I was sucking up. :-)

And after being told it was Lori's favorite - I made her a chocolate swirl cheesecake. It was last minute and I ended up baking it a little long - to try to get it to set - since it wouldn't have enough chillin time. She loved it - cracks and all. :-)

And Sherry - thank you thank you thank you for the spinach brownie recipe that I just got to trying! I will be making these often as they are quite simple and were a huge hit! With children and grownups alike. I actually goofed and baked them close to 30 minutes and kind of liked the crispiness! Oh and I did them in the mini muffin pans.

kathleen - it looks like your blueberry muffin is smiling...

Sol, I'm speechless. I may have to start putting words on my food - just so that everyone knows what it is...:-)

Terri, I have to say, that in skimming through - I sometimes play a little game of guessing whose photo it is - and this is the second time that I've id'd yours as AnnT's! Gorgeous! (the pork chops)

happy weekend everyone.

Stacy

• kathleen_li
    16 years ago

Stacy, one of each please!
    Those spinach brownies look like a great appy..recipe please?? And I just went back to look at the muffin, you are right! lol
    Woohoo, Terri, that is some compliment!!

• kathleen_li
    16 years ago

Found it...
    Spinach Brownies -- sheshebop
    1 pkg. (10 oz) frozen chopped spinach, thawed
    16 oz. cheddar cheese, shredded
    1/2 cup chopped onion
    1 tsp. salt
    1 tsp. baking powder
    1 cup flour
    2 eggs, beaten
    4 T. butter, melted
    1 cup milk
    I also added 1/8 tsp nutmeg
    Preheat oven to 350. Spray 8 x 12 baking pan with cooking spray.
    Drain spinach in colander and squeeze out excess moisture. Combine cheese, spinach, and onion in large bowl. Mix. Stir salt and baking powder into flour and mix with the spinach. Mix eggs, butter, milk and stir into other ingredients. Pour into pan. Bake for 30 minutes

• dixiedog_2007
    16 years ago

I'm trying for my first time with posting a picture. I made this last night for dinner. Not the best picture and I see that my handle is getting a little old looking but it was my Grandma's pot and I love it and it works really well for chili.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• dixiedog_2007
    16 years ago

kathleen thank you for finding the recipe. I was going to ask for it. They look wonderful.

How would you reheat them or are they OK the next day at room temp? This would be something great for me to make next week for a bake sale at my company.

• Terri_PacNW
    16 years ago

~blush~ Thanks Stacy...

Your cheesecake looks good to me..I don't mind cracks!
    Dixie~That Chili looks good...I was thinking this am..that I should make chili today....but I think I'll wait a bit longer...

I didn't get a chance to snap a picture of the Rigitoni Sausage and Cream sauce(minus tomatoes) last night..but it was a huge hit...~happy dance..

I kinda combined the ideas of Loris and Moniques...
    I added a pat of butter a glug of EVOO tossed in 1/3 of a sweet onion minced, 3 cloves of garlic minced, couple good shakes of red pepper flakes and 2 lbs of sweet italian sausage I removed from the casings. Didn't have any white wine, so used a bit of water and half of a large chicken boullion cube, let simmer a bit. Added in about a cup of heavy cream, simmered and tossed in the almost al dente rigitoni (it was going to have to sit on the stovetop covered for a bit) noticed that because of this I'd need a bit more liquid, so since the pan was on low and full, I added a few good splashes of milk (2%)..and 3/4 c grated parm and 2 large handfuls of baby spinach leaves...
    It was so good..and hubby ate 2 pasta plates full, Kamren went back for seconds and Kellan asked for more pasta (he's not much of a meat eater.) I had enough for HB's lunch and another container for a lunch for me or the boys this weekend.
    Another CF HIT! Thanks GUYS!!!

• stacy3
    16 years ago

Terri, I love that pasta dish, too. I've been making something like it each week, I think.

dixie, I agree, your chili looks really good. I have had a hankering for some and since tomorrow is going to be in the 50's, it will probably happen. And I love your Grandma's pot.

I am kind of unsure about reheating the spinach brownies. I do know that they are really good at room temp! But I might be tempted to throw them into a hot mini muffin tin to crisp them a bit. I just made more last night, as I took all the first batch to the party.

We have another party tonight and I am taking warm rosemary spiced bar nuts and wine. I hope they have food! lol. I have been sworn to leave those spinach bites at home for the guys. :-)

Stacy

• Terri_PacNW
    16 years ago

Well chili it is..LOL Went to the freezer..and pulled out some other things for the weekend..so I decided today was as good a day as any to make my "clean it out" chili..(not your BOWELS, but my fridge/freezer)
    I browned 1 pkg of ground turkey, 1/2lb of cubed up pork sirloin with onion and garlic.
    Then tossed in the final pork chop from last Sunday diced, a diced hamburger pattie I tucked in the freezer and a leftover steak as well. I like to freeze the last bits of meat for my Clean It Out Chili...never the same way twice.
    Today's batch also has a bunch of things from the spice drawer, 1 large can of tomato paste(guys don't like to see tomatoes)1 can of beef broth, several cans of water and 1/2 a cube of chicken bouillion.
    I'll let it sit on low the rest of the day, and add the beans about 3 since dinner isn't until 7 tonight. I'll toss in one can of kidney's...so it will be more con carne than anything else.
    Big Daddy Biscuits and I'm still thinking on the dessert.

Stacy, can you share the recipe for the rosemary nuts? I've got rosemary up the wazoooooooooooooo....I don't have a rosemary plant I have a rosemary shrub!!!!!

• stacy3
    16 years ago

oh yeah Terri - but these come with a warning....you may have to go into nut rehab as these are extremely addictive...I buy a big 2lb 8 oz container of salted mixed nuts from a wholesale club and omit (or reduce) the salt in the recipe.....YUMMMMM!!!!!!!!

Bar Nuts
    From The Union Square Cafe Cookbook, HarperCollins, 1994

These nuts won The New York Press award for "best bar nuts in New York." Every afternoon at about 4:45, a piping hot batch emerges from our ovens and is sent out to the bar, where the sweet rosemary fragrance wafts throughout the restaurant. Though they don't have a television set at they're bar, these nuts would probably be a hit in your living room accompanied by a football game and some ice-cold beer.
    Yields 5 cups

Ingredients
    Â 1/4 pound each peeled peanuts, cashews, brazil nuts, hazelnuts, walnuts, pecans, and whole unpeeled almonds or 1 pounds unsalted, assorted nuts.
    Â 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh rosemary
    Â 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
    Â 2 teaspoons dark brown sugar
    Â 2 teaspoons kosher salt
    Â 1 tablespoon butter, melted
    1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
    2. Toss the nuts in a large bowl to combine and spread them out on a cookie sheet. Toast in the oven until they become light golden brown, about 10 minutes.
    3. In the large bowl, combine the rosemary, cayenne, brown sugar, salt, and melted butter.
    4. Thoroughly toss the warm toasted nuts with the spiced butter and serve warm.
    From the The Union Square Cafe Cookbook, ©1994

• Terri_PacNW
    16 years ago

Warnings are meant to be ignored. LOL right? specially with good food? I requested the recipe to add to gift packages this holiday season. So I can give them all away if need be.

Thank you ever so much!

Chili is still simmering..Big Daddy Biscuits are resting in the fridge..and all the dry ingredients are together for corn muffins..

Still no dessert...think I've decided they can eat either Brown Sugar CC cookie bars or Chocolate Cream Filled cake leftovers...

• canarybird01
    16 years ago

Dixie your chili looks so appetizing that I'm reminded it's time I made one as well next week! Haven't done a chili in ages.

Stacy your baked goods look wonderful! Especially that cheesecake.

Today I made Weed's pork tenderloin in dijon cream sauce and it was heavenly. Wolf loves mustard sauce and as the meat was so tender he really enjoyed his lunch. I made a big platter salad to go with it and some basmati rice. Weather still lovely and sunny so we ate outside and had the rest of the white wine that I opened for the sauce of the pork recipe.

• kathleen_li
    16 years ago

Whole wheat pizza and a green salad

• doucanoe
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well, I had some shrimp I needed to use, and was thinking of Greek Pasta With Shrimp, but then remembered I have been meaning to try CindyMac's Shrimp Etouffee since I saved it several years ago! So Etouffeee it was! Served with rice and crusty bread, it was a tasty and hearty meal!

{{!gwi}}

Weatherman says we are going to get a hard freeze tonight, so I harvested all of my basil and parsley. Looks like I have my work cut out for me tonight, huh?

{{!gwi}}

Linda

• kathleen_li
    16 years ago

Linda, that shrimp looks great! And lots of herbs for you to freeze. I will search that recipe.
    Sharon, I will try that pork recipe, looks delicious..
    Dixiedog, dh is the chili maker here, I don't like the beans, so I pick them out! I love your grandmother's pot. What a lovely heirloom, one that gets use too!
    I think I will make those spinach brownies next week for a luncheon. I'll let you know how I do!

• hawk307
    16 years ago

Didn't have much to eat or much time last night,
    so I'll put it in tonight.
    We had Broiled Crab Cakes, Salad and Corn on the Cob.

{{!gwi}}

Tonight I took 2 Chicken Breasts, stood them on end, in a
    thin alluminum Pie plate and

Skewered them together, leaving one end opened for Stuffing

I laid strips of Bacon over this and baked them with some potatoes, in a Waterless Roasting pan with a lid.
    Cooked uncovered for about 30 min. to brown a little.

Served this with Cranberry Sauce and some Vegies.

For Dessert we had my Fluffy Cheesecake topped with Strawberry Preserves.

LOU

{{gwi:1508223}}

• Terri_PacNW
    16 years ago

Lou, those chicken breasts look very good.

Here's my dish of chili....(Ooh darn I missed wiping the rim!) LOL
    Just click on it~

{{!gwi}}

• msafirstein
    16 years ago

Kathleen, you know me and jars! I just can't seem to get enough of them and have to fill 'em up with something! But the Plum-kissed Pear Butter is really good and I'm thinking about adding it to the "Great Hit Recipes" thread over on Harvest. Of course I have NPFJP (No Patience for Jell Point) so I make butter instead of jam.

Lou, the skewered chicken breasts are such a great idea. Also putting bacon on top...how wonderful and Joe would love it!

OH Stacy!! Your Spinach Brownies are for sure a keeper!! Kathleen thanks for finding and posting the recipe!!

Dixie, Oh how I wish I had a pot or 2 of my Great Grama's. You are so fortunate! Memories add such a unique flavor!!!!!!!!!

Kathleen, the pizza is perfection!!!!

Sharoncb...oh my, your pork tenderloin looks so good and this is one recipe I've been meaning to try too.

Nancy, how are you going to preserve the basil? Pesto? I tried Maryanne's salt method for some basil about a month ago and so far so good.

I have to admit, I made some of Nancy's Peach Cherry Salsa last night and OMG is it good. Sorry Nancy I could not wait for you to post the recipe so I winged it. But all I can say, is OMG...OMG...OMG! You've got to think up a catchy name for this one! How about Nancy's "Wild about Cherry Peach Salsa" or "Cherry Wiz Salsa"?

I've got my apples cooking for Apple Maple Butter and I found more delicous MI peaches yesterday so the fruit flies are back.

Michelle

• san_
    16 years ago

the hydrangea wreath is totally beautiful, kathleen. stacy--your cheesecake looks FABULOUS and i love the platter under the cupcakes--pewter, perhaps? and sharon's salads and veggie dishes consistently look wonderful! but lou's crab cakes really caught my eye. it's been awhile and they just sound really good.

i think we've been living on cleaning out the fridge food for the last week. some chicken caccitore, ham and bean soup, kind of a hot creamy chicken salad dish. nothing very memorable... but that cleared out some room in the fridge and i brought home a fine, fat chicken for roasting tonight or tomorrow! i also brought home a bottle of "brumalle" lambrusco which we opened last night. it was quite good--not very sweet and just a bit of effervescence. think i need to bring home a few more bottles of that!

• Marigene
    16 years ago

Way too many posts to catch up on; miss a few days and you are sunk.... This thread moved a lot faster than the previous one. Guess all are off their diets!

Shopping last so no "real" dinner. I had baked bread so when I got home I cut one of the baguettes, slapped on a little black olive tapenade, sliced cherry tomatoes and freshly grated Parmesan and called it dinner.

• kathleen_li
    16 years ago

Terri, the chili looks,,,HOT! DH is making his as I type..
    Marigene, your bread looks wonderful!
    Thank you, San..
    Michelle, the pizza was good, but I am crushed that Lou didn't comment, he's the Pizza Man! I think he is mad at me cause I didn't make his fluffy cheesecake, LOL;) Last time I made it I put panko on the edges, it was nice and crunchy. Forgot this time!
    What does cherry peach salsa taste like..it is spicy like reg salsa, which I don't like, or sweet???

• wizardnm
    16 years ago

Kathleen, hard to decribe the taste, but it can be as hot or mild as you like, one of the benefits of making your own. Same with the sweetness.

Michelle, here's the recipe I used, posted in the Harvest Forum by Katie. It's the same recipe that is in the Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving. Iused 2 C of sour cherries and 4 C of peaches. I also added sugar to taste, I wanted it sweeter.

Peach Salsa

Recipe By :Katie
    Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Preserving

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    6 cups peaches -- diced
    1 1/4 cups red onion -- chopped
    4 jalapeno peppers -- chopped
    1 red bell pepper -- chopped
    1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro -- loosely packed
    1/2 cup white vinegar
    2 tablespoons honey -- or sugar
    3 cloves garlic -- finely chopped
    2 teaspoons cumin
    1/2 teaspoon cayenne

Simmer for 5 minutes. Pack into hot jars and process in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes (0-1000 ft.), 15 minutes (1001-6000 ft.), and 20 minutes (above 6000 ft.).

Nancy

• Terri_PacNW
    16 years ago

Michelle, I hope you've put a few things in the freezer to have on hand when the canning bug hits you again in say February..when you've emptied a few jars and feel the need to fill them. LOL That salsa looks like chutney. Bet it would be so good on pork!

Kathleen I too loved the look of your pizza..Panko on the edges huh? Interesting concept.

Marigene, I think there wasn't much dieting going on....but we were just busy..I think with school back on track and the days getting shorter, it brings us all back to the center hub..the kitchen and eating at the table....
    Your bread looks yummy...

San, I vowed a few weeks ago.. that I was done tossing out leftovers and bits and pieces..so now comes the reinventing of foods...It's a good thing. :o)

Well dinner tonight will be....
    Brats and ???...

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting