SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wizardnm

What's for Dinner #260

wizardnm
16 years ago

Last night we cwlebrated Kim's 50th Birthday. She picked the menu, Lake Perch sauteed in butter and EVOO, FF's, Suger Snap Peas and Pink Slaw.

Lake perch straight from the fish market.

My plate

Kim choose a Fallen Chocolate Cake with Cherries Jubilee fot her "B-Day Cake.

Here's the Birthday Girl... she's gonna kill me for posting this... :))

Nancy

Comments (102)

• msafirstein
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

WOW...how strange and my apologies for the double posting. And there's half hour difference in the posted time too.

Michelle

• annie1992
    16 years ago

Stacy, I have one waffle iron, I got it via ebay a couple of years ago. They had the same one at Williams Sonoma for $90 then and there was absolutely no way I would have paid that for a waffle iron!

It's a VillaWare Farm Waffle Iron, it's still on Amazon for $79.99. For a waffle iron, go figure.....

Michelle, I remember that orange creamsicle fruit salad, I'll have to make that for the girls, they'd love it.

Oh, and those panties? Ashley filled in some of them later with a different color. Well, actually she made pink, blue, green and yellow, I just took that picture while she was "in the process". :-)

Sharon, I'm so glad to see Bunny outside again. And every time you post of picture of it I think how good that cafe cortado looks.

OK, I'm off to look for that souvlaki recipe of Ann T's. I was talking to Elery last night and he pointed out that the Greek food I've had so far has been lamb. Since I don't like lamb, I probably wouldn't like things made of lamb. Instead of saying I don't like Greek food, I ought to try some that isn't lamb. Dang, I hate it when he's sensible like that! LOL

Annie

• Related Discussions

Idyll 260-Pieces of April

Q

Comments (100)
    Happy Birthday, Drema! Happy Birthday, Babs! Im running behind this am. I want to get crackin in the garden. So Ill catch up on the last couple posts later. Sue, thanks for the info on "Snow Fairy". I thot that was the case but didnt know. Hows the foster puppy doing? I cant imagine you being able to give him away after youve bonded and spent so much TLC on him. As for how I managed such unexpected plant combos, I moved almost everything in my garden last fall. Ive never divided or moved the bulbs in the back sine they were planted many yrs. ago. Many were so jam- packed that they had nowhere to grow but deeper in the soil. In some cases, some were as deep as 18-20" and I still missed some. As for the delphinium in the peony, I moved the delphinium and must have left a small piece and planted a peony on top of it. Deanne, youre my enabler, lol. Ive admired your Heliopsis Loraine Sunshine for years and never saw it at any of our nurseries here. I was going to get one by mail order this spring, so when I saw it at a nearby nursery, I just had to indulge. I cant wait to see how it does for me. And you know Ive been in love with Heuchera Peach Flambe since I saw a pic of it last year. It looks to be redder than Peach Melba so Im anxious to see how it does, too. Oh dear, that Ajuga is incredible! Yep, I have to have some of those, too! Re your question, Bullet has a hissy fit when Timmy visits. Timmy ignores Bullets "No other animals allowed" rule for our deck. So theres all manner of growling, hissing, spitting and batting the doorwall when Timmy visits. Timmy only wants to be friends. Marian, Im so glad youre feeling much better. I worry about you being so far out in the boonies. Do you have friends and neighbors to check on you? A gal from the senior center calls to check on my Mom every day. Do you have something similar thru your town or church. I hope so. Mary, hope your back is feeling better, too. Sheesh, back problems do seem to be the ailment of the season. Hi Cindy, Norma, Martie, Wendy, Eden and everyone else. And, Babs, I feel so badly for poor Ryan being afraid of storms. Honestly, Im a wreck during t-storms and tornado watches/warnings. Michelle, I cant imagine how bad that storm had to be to get hail thru the roof! OMG! We didnt have them where I grew up out east so they just terrify me. Its all I can do to keep from hiding under the bed with Bullet! Thanks for the encouragement re Toms job. I think this is going to be a long drawn out saga. Whats so scary is that so many folks are also looking for jobs now and there are fewer and fewer of them. About the deer, Ive decided not to let them dictate what I plant. Ruth and I spray monthly with Liquid Fence and the deer mostly leave us alone. Occasionally, one will take a bite or two and spit it out. Theyre pretty much trained now. And LF also deters wabbits and groundhogs. However, a the home show yesterday, we saw these really neat battery run unobtrusive posts that lure the deer in with a great smell and then shocks them when they touch it. See link below. Theyre powered by 2 AA batteries and are placed every 20 or so. I might try them. Later, friends. Honey
    ...See More

Super-long roses cost $260 a dozen

Q

Comments (3)
    On my Yves Piaget, I waited nearly 3 months for a bud to fully developed and it finally opened recently. I believe it was due to the chilly weather. So for a rose at said elevation, that may be a factor in slow growth.
    ...See More

Stihl MS260 vs. MS260 Pro?

Q

Comments (3)
    Here's a quote from the Stihl website re the MS260 Pro: "An added decompression valve for easier starts, and an adjustable automatic bar and chain oiler for firewood cutting is what puts the "pro" in this professional chain saw." My local dealer website shows a $40 difference in the two saws. ($470 vs $510 with 16" bar). Both the 260 and 260 Pro are listed in the group of "Professional Use" saws.
    ...See More

Stihl Chainsaw MS 260 Pro vs MS 361

Q

Comments (60)
    Yes the cutters all have a natural slope to them by design but all my chain cutters had two slopes. I removed the chain as nothing seemed to work to get the chips to fly. I showed the chain to the guys who sold me my saw. They said I would never get the chain to cut as the "second" slope was due to a rock. They reground the chain and it works fine. Yeah...I know...I swore I never hit anything. After my chain was ground I washed it in kero to remove any fine grains of metal that could wear out my bar prematurally. I dried and dunked it in bar oil before replacing. The rakes are supposed to set a cut depth of .026". I ordered a depth gauge along with a guide and plenty of files both flat and round for my chain. I also bought a second chain (yellow) cause I need a backup the way things are going. Upon further examination of the stump I was cutting close to the ground I noticed weeds growing out of the side of the stump. Digging with a screwdriver revealed dirt and rocks in a 2 inch hole. Chalk it up to inexperience. I placed my 13/64 file in the cutter of my new chain to see how it fit. Now I can see what I have to aim for when touching up a chain. I would need a bar or bench jig to get it that perfect. I also realized that it is important to check the automatic oiler on the MS361 once in a while. Packed sawdust causes the oiler to put out only a minimum amount of oil. Cleaning make a huge difference in oil output.
    ...See More
  • stacy3
    16 years ago

Hey Annie, here it is - yum.

Chicken Souvlaki
    ================
    Chicken breasts
    Fresh minced garlic
    dried oregano
    lemons
    olive oil
    Salt
    Pepper
    . Cut chicken breasts into 1 inch cubes
    Place on wooden Skewers that have been soaked in water (prevents sticks
    from burning.. or on metal skewers.
    Rub with fresh minced garlic and dried oregano
    Squeese fresh lemons over chicken and some olive oil
    Salt and pepper
    Marinate for up to 1 hour. If marinating longer do not add lemon juice
    until the last hour. Lemon juice "cooks" the flesh and changes the texture.
    Place on hot grill and turn often until done. Serve with Greek salad and
    rice.
    (Ann's) NOTE: This recipe works well with Pork (I use Pork Tenderloin) and with
    Lamb
    Home Cookin 4.9 Chapter: Recipes From Thibeault's Table

Michelle, thanks for that cookie recipe - I think I will try it!

• woodie
    16 years ago

Good thing we've got Elery to keep you in line, Annie, your Father certainly can't. There's lots of good greek food that is made with chicken, shrimp, veggies and other stuff!

The cookie on the upper left with the thong gave me a twinge, but I think they're great, LOL!

• Solsthumper
    16 years ago

The Quinoa recipe is the one I've posted several times in the past. Not one I created, but my adaptation of a recipe from the Ancient Harvest brand Quinoa.

It seems the colder it gets, the more I want to bake. If this keeps up, I'll have to summon Richard Simmons.
    This morning I had a hankering for my Almond Cakelets, so I have some in the oven as we speak. I'll copy/paste the recipe and picture as it appeared almost two years ago, 'cause I'm feeling lazy this morning. But this time, I've shaped them differently from the ones in the old photo below.

----------------------------------

Posted by solsthumper (My Page) on Mon, May 8, 06 at 11:48

I baked these in single serving molds, but you can use a 9" Springform pan. I also covered them with a simple confectioner's glaze, although, the cakes are wonderfully moist and flavorful enough on their own.
    Btw, tomorrow, my house will be enlarged by two feet (my mom's coming to stay with us for a week), so if you have any questions, and I'm not around, you'll know why.

{{gwi:1478465}}

1 cup (8 ounces) almond paste
    1¼ cups sugar
    1¼ cups butter, at room temperature
    1 tablespoon vanilla
    6 eggs
    1 cup AP flour
    1½ teaspoons baking powder
    ¼ teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 325ºF. Grease and flour a 9-inch springform pan, or 14 blossom molds. Combine the almond paste and sugar in a food processor and pulse until blended. Add the butter and vanilla; pulse until well combined. Add the eggs, one at a time, and pulse until just combined. Do not overmix.
    Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt. Add the dry ingredients to the almond mixture and pulse to blend.
    Transfer the batter to the prepared pan. Place the pan on a baking sheet and bake for 1 to 1½ hours in the springform, or 20-25 minutes in the single-serving molds, or until cakes are golden on top.

---------------------------------------

AB, those panty (okay, butt) cookies are hilarious and I dare say, downright SEXY!
    Makayla and Bud must be two of the happiest kids; they have a grandma who loves to bake with them and even makes them aminal shaped waffles.

Terri, your dinner looks like pure comfort to me.

Maggie, how/when do you find the time to make all of those goodies? I have two kids (well, the oldest has been living on her own for several weeks now) and I barely get anything done. Sometimes though, I'll go to work, just to relax.

Maureen, your Stifado looks delicious. That's a dish I've heard about but never made. I think, for me, 2008 will be the year to try some new dishes.

Tonight, I'm making Torta Rustica for dinner. Let's face it, Torta Rustica is basically an upper crust (;-Þ), deep dish pizza, and one I'm considering making for the virtual pizza party. I'll post the recipe on the pizza party thread, once I make it.

Sol

• fearlessem
    16 years ago

Just chiming in here in support of those Martha Stewart black pepper cookies -- I've made them before and they are fantastic!

Last night was my favorite beet / beet green / feta / walnut salad and a caramelized onion and gruyere bread pudding. So good!

I'm thinking tonight will be meatball subs, but that's only if I can get myself out of the house for long enough to go get some meatloaf mix at the store...

Emily

• User
    16 years ago

Elery is right Annie. There are probably many Greek dishes that you would love. And many of the Greek recipes that contain lamb, can be made with beef or even pork. I often substitute beef/pork in Moussaka.

Here are a few of my favourite Greek recipes and none of them contain Lamb.

Home Cookin Chapter: Recipes From Thibeault's Table

Cabbage Rolls Regular or Greek Style
    =============
    1 large Savoy cabbage
    large pot of boiling water

1 Tablespoon olive oil
    2 onions, peeled and sliced
    extra garlic cloves

2 cups hot chicken stock
    1 can chopped tomatoes

For the Stuffing

1 onion chopped
    1/4 cup chopped parsley
    2 tablespoons butter or margarine or olive oil
    1-1/4 pound ground pork (can use Beef or veal)
    2 cloves minced garlic
    rosemary and thyme to taste
    3/4 cup to 1 cup of raw rice, Cooked until almost tender.

bring some water to boil in a large pot. Add the cabbage and steam for
    minutes to soften leaves.

Remove leaves and return cabbage to pot if needed. Continue removing
    leaves.

Saute onion until soft and add chopped garlic, and parsley.

Mix the ground pork with the rice, onions, garlic and parsley,, season
    with
    salt and pepper and herbs.

Fry a small piece to test for seasoning. Add more if needed.

Cut onions into slices and place in bottom om covered roasting pan. Add
    some cracked garlic cloves.

Add 2 cups of chicken broth and one can of tomatoes coarsely chopped.

Place cabbage rolls on top of onion mixture and cover tightly. I cover
    with
    foil and then the lid.

Bake in oven until cooked approximately 1 1/2 hours at 350° to 375°.

Serve with some of the juices from the pan and some sour cream.

Option for Greek Cabbage Rolls

Replace rosemary and thyme with with fresh chopped dill and lemon zest
    to taste.

Cook in chicken broth. Add three or four garlic cloves to the pan.
    Cover cabbage rolls and bake until tender.

serve with an Avgolemono sauce. Add some fresh chopped dill to the
    sauce just before serving.

Greek Ribs
    ==========
    1 or 2 Racks of Baby Back Ribs
    2 to 3 garlic cloves
    dried oregano
    Juice of 1 to 2 lemons
    Lemon zest (Optional)
    salt and pepper
    . Mince garlic and press with back of knife to turn into a paste. (or use
    a microplane)

Rub ribs with garlic, rub on oregano, salt and pepper and lemon zest if
    using. Squeeze juice of whole lemons over ribs a few hours before
    cooking.

Note: These can be marinated earlier in the day or overnight, but do
    not add the lemon juice until a few hours before grilling or the lemon
    will change the texture of the meat.

Heat grill to high (both sides)

Place ribs on one side of grill and turn that side off. Cook, turning
    occasionally until ribs are tender.

On my grill they take about 45 minutes to an hour depending on the size
    of the ribs but could take longer depending on grill being used.

Greek Meatballs With Avgolemono Sauce
    =====================================
    These are extremely tender and flavourful meatballs

1 1/4 lbs Lean Ground Beef
    1/2 lb lean ground pork
    2 slices of bread, made into crumbs and soaked with milk
    3 garlic cloves
    1 small grated onion
    2 tablespoons chopped parsely
    1/2 to 1 cup chopped spinach, squeezed dry
    1 tablespoon chopped mint
    2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
    1 teaspoons dried oregano
    2 eggs
    1/3 cup uncooked rice
    salt and pepper to taste

Option: Add some fresh chopped dill as well

5 cups chicken broth

Sauce

2 egg yolks
    1 whole egg
    juice of 1 large lemon (1/4 cup)
    1 1/2 cups of broth (from cooking meatballs)

Makes approximately 48 meatballs.

As an alternative to the egg/lemon sauce, try doing this instead:
    Make a roux with butter and flour, add the chicken stock that you cooked the meatballs in, simmer, add some of the hot sauce to an egg yolk and then slowly stir the mixture back into the remaining sauce. Add lemon juice. Add the meatballs and simmer on low for a few minutes. Do not boil if using the egg yolk.

Mix the two meats together well and add the rest of the ingredients and
    mix well using hands.

Saute a small amount to taste for seasoning and adjust seasoning as
    needed.

Form into meatballs the size of walnuts and saute until brown. Drain on
    paper towels and then add to a pot of chicken broth.

Simmer for 40 minutes until tender.

Remove meatballs from broth. Strain broth and reserve 1 1/2 cups.
    Return broth to stove and bring to a boil.

Beat egg yolks and egg with lemon juice and slowly whisk the hot broth
    into egg mixture.

Return sauce to sauce pan and heat on low stirring until sauce
    thickens. Do not bring to a boil.

Add meatballs and continue to heat until meatballs are hot and coated
    with sauce.

Green Bean, Zucchini and Potato Stew (Fassolakia Iadera
    =======================================================

Adapted from: Krinos Foods

(The original recipe called for a large can of tomatoes and did not include garlic or oregano.)

Green Bean, Zucchini and Potato Stew (Fassolakia Iadera)This is a traditional vegetable mixture that is often eaten cold, accompanied by hunks of country bread and feta cheese

1/4 cup olive oil
    1 cup chopped onion
    1 clove of garlic, minced
    1 pound fresh green beans, trimmed, halved crosswise
    1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    8 ounces zucchini, cut into 1-inch-thick slices
    8 ounces russet potatoes, peeled, cut into 1-inch cubes
    3/4 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
    1 to 2 tablespoons fresh oregano chopped (or dried)
    1 14 ounce can of Italian-style tomatoes, chopped.
    1/2 cup chicken broth
    . Heat oil in heavy large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add
    onion and sauté 5 minutes.Add Garlic and green beans and sauté until
    onion is translucent, about 3 minutes. Add zucchini, potatoes, cayenne
    pepper, parsley and oregano. Pour tomatoes and their juices over
    vegetables. Add chicken broth. Bring to boil. Reduce heat. Cover and
    simmer until potatoes are tender, stirring frequently, about 45
    minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat. Can be prepared
    1 day ahead -- cover and refrigerate. Serve warm or at room
    temperature. 6 To 8 Servings

Moussaka
    =========

Moussaka
    ========

Source unknown
    edited

2 eggplants cut into 1/4 inch round slices.
    3 large potatoes, peeled and sliced into 1/4-inch thick long slices
    1/2 cup flour, seasoned with salt and pepper.
    vegetable oil. (1 to 2 inches deep)

For the beef tomato sauce:
    2 pounds lean ground beef/veal/pork or lamb.
    1 large onion, medium diced
    2 tablespoons minced garlic
    Salt
    Freshly ground black pepper
    1 to 2 teaspoons ground allspice
    1 teaspoon dried oregano
    1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
    1 large can tomatoes, chopped

For the Bechamel:
    4 tablespoons butter
    4 tablespoons flour
    4 cups milk
    garlic clove cracked (not minced)
    1/4teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
    1 tablespoon lemon juice
    3 egg yolks
    1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
    Salt
    Freshly ground black pepper

To Finish:
    3/4 cup breadcrumbs
    1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
    . Slice eggplant and salt. Let sit for 10 to 15 minutes. Wipe dry.

Season flour with salt and pepper.
    dip eggplant into flour and fry in hot oil turning when golden. Dry on
    paper towels.

Fry potato slices until lightly golden. Remove the potatoes to a paper
    towel.

For the ground beef Tomato Sauce mixture:

Saute the ground beef for 2 minutes, until it
    begins to turn brown. Add the onions and garlic and saute for 5 more
    minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Drain off any excess fat from the
    pan. Season the mixture with allspice, oregano, and cinnamon and cook
    for 3 more minutes. Add the tomatoes. Cook, stirring occasionally
    until the mixture is a thick tomato sauce consistency, about 30
    minutes. Check for seasoning. Remove from the heat and cool.

For the Bechamel:

In a saucepan, melt the butter. Add the flour to make a roux. Cook the
    roux over medium heat for 3 or 4 minutes, or until it becomes a very
    pale tan color. Slowly add the milk, whisking constantly. Add the garlic clove, the
    nutmeg and the lemon juice. Simmer, stirring constantly, over low heat
    for 15 minutes. The mixture should be fairly thick. Remove the garlic clove. In a separate bowl,
    whisk the eggs together. Take 1/2 cup of the hot milk mixture and whisk
    it into the beaten eggs. This will temper the eggs. Whisk the egg/milk
    mixture back into the milk mixture. Add the Parmesan cheese and stir.
    Over very low heat, cook this mixture for 3 more minutes. Be careful
    not to let the mixture simmer. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from
    the heat and cool.

To finish: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Sprinkle the bottom of a
    baking dish with 1/4 cup of breadcrumbs. Place a layer of the eggplant
    over the breadcrumbs. Place a layer of the potatoes over the eggplant.
    Place 1/2 of the beef tomato sauce mixture over the potatoes. Add
    another layer of eggplant and another layer of potatoes. Top with the
    remaining lamb mixture. Place one more layer of eggplant and potatoes
    over the beef mixture. Top with bechamel. Sprinkle with
    the Parmesan cheese. Place in the oven
    and bake for 45 minutes, or until the top is golden brown. Remove from
    the oven and let sit for 10 minutes before serving.

• artsyshell
    16 years ago

OMG..everyone's food photos has me drooling all over my keyboard. I love this time of year on the cooking forum. Everyone is finished with christmas and back to some wonderful creative cooking!

Michelle, thanks for the kind sentiments! Also thanks for the custard recipe and the chocolate black pepper cookies..I have copied and pasted.

Stacy your goulash looks heavenly.

Kathleen, I love your plates and your heart shaped meatloaf. Funny my husband doesn't like meatloaf either, and every now and then I have to sneak one in, as I love it.

Emily, lucky you, I could handle eight days in Mexico, or anywhere for that matter.

Msazadi, I love delicata squash, your meal looks wonderful, as does your chowder.

AnnT, your souvlaki looks mouthwatering. I love how the oil glistens off of the tomatoes in your photos.

Sol your bread photo is stunning! How do you find the time to manipulate your food into such stunning pictures?

Annie, Ashley's cookies are adorable! She has quite the talent for decorating. I also love the barnyard waffles. Must be quite the waffle maker, I have never seen anything like those before.

Sharon, your photos are always a feast for the eyes..just beautiful.

I am so mad. Last night I actually moved my camera into the kitchen so I would remember to take photos of dinner, and I still forgot! . Anyways, last nights was the best I have made in a long time. We had a Pork loin rib rack of pork, which i coated in a mixture of grainy mustard, mixed with a bit of olive oil and just enough mayple syrup to take the edge off the mustard. Then liberally coated that with my brandied peppercorn melange and sea salt. Roasted it at 475 for ten minutes, then 325 for fourty and then 375 til it reached med on my meat thermometer. Let it rest ten and then sliced between the bones. It was fantastic. Sides were a potato/onion, white cheddar sage gratin, savoy cabbage,bacon,onions sauteed and then cooked in a apple juice/vermouth/chicken stock mixture with some thyme and a pinch of dried mint, (was supposed to be a fresh sprig of savoury, but that was nowhere to be found). Both of the sides were absolutely wonderful and will definately be making them again. Finished off the rest of the tomatoes florentine which were just as wonderful as when they were made.
    Tonight is leftovers from the pork dinner and the salmon cakes. Might just throw in a butternut/fennel/pear roast.

Shelley

• annie1992
    16 years ago

Thank you, Ann, the Fassolakia Iadera looks especially good.

I know how picky I am and if I try something twice and don't like it either time, I pretty much cross it off the list until the Renee's 7 year rule comes up and I'll try it again. I need to remind myself that all greek food isn't covered with lemon sauce, made from lamb or containing fresh mint!

Of course, I think Elery just wants dinner in Greektown. (grin)

Annie

• maggie2094
    16 years ago

Sol - your pulling my leg, right? I made cupcakes out of cake mix and a can of pumpkin:) Either way there is not enough time in the day! Hope everything is okay.

Woodie - you made me scroll back up to look at Ashley's cookies. I didn't realize one was a thong or dental floss as we call it! LOL!!! Too funny, Annie! Reminds me of the time I was at my Dads and his gf called and left a message to remind Dad to bring his thongs that weekend! I almost died! Ewww - Anyway - she was talking about flip flops!

Sharon - I am so glad Bunny is doing better.

Well, due to the writer's cook's strike we are in re-runs tonight...BUT I did make these Chinese Almond Cookies...

{{gwi:1478557}}

• Terri_PacNW
    16 years ago

Maggie,,here, in my house, we call flip flops/thongs ..flippers..no problem knowing which is which..LOL
    Your almond cookies look yummy!

Ann brought out the Greek Parade..and I'm going to CP the whole thing!

Annie, I don't like lamb or mint much either..But I don't mind chicken or beef gyros. I think if it's got Oregano in it as the "green" I'm good..I've had the Mousakka at one of our Greek Restaurants..it was tasty..
    I might have to try Ann's recipe, and disguise the eggplant from the fellas..

Dinner tonight..I dunno....I really don't..I have wings in the fridge, that aren't totally thawed..I also have ground turkey that is not thawed..
    I'm tempted to feed the boys Chicken Dinosaurs (Costco's chicken nuggets)..and I'll eat some eggs...Hubby has basketball so he'll be home about Project Runway time.

• craftyrn
    16 years ago

Kathleen-- those plates are adorable, esp that "mitten"-- Granny Smith's would work fine I think-- I often use them for apple pies when I can't find 20 ouncers/pepins.
    Emily-- of those once-a-week-new recipes you tried last year, how many are "keepers"?
    OK Michelle-- I've been tagged by my SIL to do the cookies for her Testimonial (VFW) Dinner & I bet the man would love those Pepper cookies, thx for posting the recipe..
    Sol-- that bread looks sooooo good-- Esp this week as DH & I just started on our 3 wks of nothing made with flour ! I'm a carb junky & doing without my bread etc fix
    is killing me !!!!!
    Maggie-- I have a container of that museli going in the frig almost constantly since you posted it last winter--- love the stuff !
    Gosh Annie-- those "panty" cookies are adorable-- missed the original post-- hope the search engine is back up.

Suppers this week:
    Ground dark meat turkey & cabbage soup

Mushroom omelet made with Eggbeaters & 2 reg eggs, Cabot's 50 % fat reduced cheddar , onions & peppers--- home canned Rosemary Lemon pickled green beans( Carol's recipe)

Venison Salisbury Steak ( made with whizzed oatmeal instead of bread crumbs & an eggbeater), simple Romaine salad & mixed (frozen) peas & french cut green beans

• wizardnm
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Annie, please tell Ashley I think the pantie cookies are adorable. I'm with you on the Greek foods, I try but there's just too many things in Greek cooking I really don't like. But don't stay home from Greektown, you'll find something to eat.

Diane, I know I couldn't go wheat free, that would be sheer torture for me. But I could cut back...

Terri...I understand the 'dinner blahs'.
    I wandered around the grocery store this afternoon. Finally bought a pkg of cubed pork cutlets...just had them. Chicken fried with smashed potatoes, B sprouts, applesauce. It's one of my easy go to dinners when I don't know what else to make. I'll hit the bigger grocery store tomorrow.

Nancy

• Terri_PacNW
    16 years ago

Nancy and Diane, I'm doing wheat free, but certainly not flour free..LOL That I couldn't do either!

Yeah Nancy I guess that's what it is..Just turned on the oven for the chicken dinos for the boys..they love them..and they are made with "white" meat. LOL

I've been making candles for the last 2 hours or so..so it's scent over load in here...nothing really sounds good..
    maybe I'll warm up some brie and schmear it on rice crackers with some Hab Gold? Or Peach Brown Sugar Rum Jam?

Still don't know...

Candle scents~floating about the house
    Masala Chai, Sultry Angel (basically a sugar cookie with soft musky tones), Cranberry Spice..last two will be Love Spell (yes the Victoria Secret Dupe) and A blend I do of my own. Lemon Berry Zinger.

• kathleen_li
    16 years ago

Maggie, I am cracking up over that THONG story...glad to hear it was flip flops!
    And I brought over the pie, went in changed into my sweater and sneakers , won't you be my neighbor..oh wait , you said Ina, I thought you meant Mr. Rogers!!

Glad those bare bottoms got filled in, Annie. I haven't tried them yet!

Shelley, he ate the meatloaf, but I have been enjoying it cold on sandwiches, def not his thing! Your pork dinner sounds great!

Crafty, I bought apples today, I am going to try it.The mitten IS cute, my friends really have no appreciation for my cwaptacular dishes. They are in the "get rid of everything" stage...Heck, they are constantly bringing stuff down the the Thrift Shop cause they don't need it. I buy it, but I do use it...but I do have too much, I know!
    WHEN I BRING STUFF DOWN TO DONATE, I
    END UP BUYING A BAG FULL...
    I am a bread junkie too, I find it hard to give up. I don't drink, so I will have the bread, not the wine!

And Michelle, thanks for the recipe..I hope you have an easy recovery...you are going to be a cranky camper..hang in there!

• hawk307
    16 years ago

Ann: I like a lot of Greek cooking. My BIL is Greek.
    I built his Restaurant in Philly. We made Sluvaki with ,
    Marinated Pork Tenderloins, Onions, Peppers and Tomatoes, etc.
    Put them on a long skewer and on to the Barbecue Grille.
    Then put in a Pita w. a Sauce made of Garlic, Parsley, onions and Olive Oil.

I just bought some Pork Tenderloins to make some soon.

The only thing I didn't like was the Spaghetti Sauce.
    They use Cinnamon in the Sauce and a lot of their cooking.
    No one would eat it. He asked to make a batch the same as I used in my Pizzeria.
    It was delicious as usual. He said something loud in Greek to his cook.
    It wasn't too nice.Then I had to show the cook, How To.

I like Cinnamon, in Bunns, Cakes and Baking but that's it.

Getting ready to make some Bunns now, with the Platted Bread Dough.

Dinner tonight was Plain Ole Chicken and Potatoes,with,
    Tomatoes, Onions and Carrots, simmered in a Heavy Skillet until browned.

{{gwi:1478561}}

LOU
    LOU

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    16 years ago

Sharon! Blackie heard me say snuggle with Bunny! What a good kittie. Yea for Blackie! Yea for Bunny! Keegan kitty (my fluffer doodle) says hurray and sends them a headbutt (which he does loads).
    {{gwi:171895}}

Dinner? What is this dinner of which you speak? I've been so busy with school and the house, the most I can post is I made white beans with cornbread this weekend. It doesn't look appetizing, but it was one of those fill you up happily kind of things. Hubby kept saying, mmm, this is good!
    {{gwi:138487}}

• stacy3
    16 years ago

Lou, no one can make plain ole chicken look as good as you do...I can almost taste it...

oh Diane, that omelette looks fantastic!!!!

wow, Ann. Thank you - that entire greek post is getting saved...

Last night we had pork medallions with olive caper sauce, buttered egg noodles and broccoli.

{{gwi:1478562}}

• User
    16 years ago

I feel so inadequate each time I open this thread! Every thing looks wonderful guys, especially Bunny!

Oh yum Stacy your Pork Medallions with Olive Caper Sauce is one of my favourite recipes! Thanks for reminding me, on next weeks menu for sure!

• msafirstein
    16 years ago

Maggie, please post the recipe for the Almond Cookies. They look so good! Love the heart box the cookies are in, it's so cute!!

Terri, Project Runway is one of my favs!!! I was a bit disappointed when Kevin was voted off. He really knows tailoring and I admire that skill so much.

Kathleen, again the snowman dishes with the little mitten bowl are so cute. I love meatloaf sandwiches but we rarely have leftovers of meatloaf as Joe loves it.

Lou, fabulous looking chicken!! WOW!! I can just imagine how good it tasted...YUM! I know what you mean about cinnamon in cooking. I grew up with many Lebanese friends and they also add cinnamon to many dishes...I acquired a taste for it but it took some time. One of my employers made kibbee every week which guaranteed bad breath for at least 3 days but worth every bit of it. It was so good!!

Rob, in FL we had black beans and rice or red beans and rice. I loved the black beans but just did not like the red beans.

Stacy, the Pork Medallions with Olive Caper Sauce looks so good and I don't have this recipe, could you post it?

Joe cooked again last night and we had lamb shoulder chops (my favorite), broccoli with butter and couscous and it was delicious!! I love lamb!!

I bought a new basket for shopping at the Farmer's Markets. It is a perfect size, very light weight and folds flat for easy storage in my car yet sturdy enough to stand on it's own. I'm thinking this might be a good item for our next CF swap!

Michelle

• woodie
    16 years ago

Michelle - how did Joe cook the shoulder chops? I've never bought them, I thought they'd be too tough, but your dinner looks wonderful, I love everything on your plate! That's a great shopping basket - I love the zipper for your wallet.

• User
    16 years ago

Oh Stacy, not only does your pork dish sound wonderful, your photo is amazing. Please post the recipe. I love just about anything with olives.

Michelle, nice basket. Perfect for a trip to your farmers market.

Ann

• stacy3
    16 years ago

oh I'm sorry. I knew I posted it, but it was on boo's pork chops no inspiration thread...

You know it's kind of funny. When I first made it a few years ago, I remember thinking it was quite a "gourmet" meal and although it required a little extra effort it was well worth it.

I've made it a few times since, but last night, it was a quick meal before my PTO meeting...haha. Times change, huh? I owe it all to you!

Yeah, Michelle, I'll be your swap partner, I like that basket!

Stacy

PORK MEDALLIONS WITH OLIVE CAPER SAUCE

1 pound pork tenderloin, trimmed (this time I used thin bonelss pork chops pounded and then cut in two to make them smaller.)
    ½ tsp salt
    ½ tsp black pepper
    ¼ cup all-purpose flour
    1 tbsp olive oil, divided
    ½ cup dry white wine
    ½ cup chicken broth
    ½ cup coarsely chopped pitted kalamata olives
    2 tbsp capers
    2 tbsp chopped fresh flat leaf parsley

Cut pork crosswise into 8 pieces. Place each pork piece between 2 sheets of heavy-duty plastic wrap, and pound to ¼ inch thickness using a meat mallet or rolling pin. Sprinkle both sides of pork with salt and pepper.

Lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Place flour in a shallow bowl. Dredge pork in flour, turning to coat; shake off excess flour.

Heat 1 ½ tsp olive oil in a nonstick skillet over med-high heat. Add half of pork, and cook for 2 min on each side or until pork is done. Remove pork from pan and keep warm. Repeat procedure with remaining olive oil and pork.

Return pork to pan. Add wine and broth, bring to a boil. Stir in olives and capers; cook 4 min. Sprinkle with parsley.

4 servings (2 pork medallions and 2 tbsp sauce each)

From Cooking Light.

• Solsthumper
    16 years ago

Knock it off with the modesty Sharon/chase. Your dishes look as amazing as anyone else's here. But some of us would quit bi!ching if you'd just post them more often.

Stacy, that's an excellent example of how pork ought to look on a plate.

Rob, is you Keegan camera shy? Love that fluffy tail. And your dinner looks very warming and comforting.

Diane, I don't know how you manage to cook healthy meals that look anything but healthy, so I won't ask. I'll just sit back and enjoy.

Maggie, I love your image! I was just at Michael's the other day, and saw the coolest selection of chinese take-out boxes in every color of the rainbow and wondered how they'd look filled with cookies or some other treats. And then I see your picture, and et voila! You brought my mental image to life.
    Beautiful! I hope you'll use that for Valentine's Day.

And Mr. Luigi, there ain't nuthin' plain about your Chicken and Potatoes.

Last night, I decided to allow the dough for the Torta Rustica to rest one more day, because I had some chicken breasts that needed to be used like, now.
    So I made Chicken in Caramel Sauce. My family loves this, so I don't know why I don't make it more often.
    Dessert was ultra fancy too, Oranges in simple syrup spiked with Grand Marnier. I told you it was fancy. ;-Þ

Sol

• flamingo1121
    16 years ago

Boy does everything looks and sounds so good! I am starving!

Annie, do Makayla and Bud fight over who eats which animal? Mine do but it is usually the barn or the pig? My kids are 13 and 15 and when I make them you see the fights that occur if someone eats what the other wants, even after 2 batches. My DH gave me the waffle maker for Xmas a few years back. He liked it and I have to cook with it.

I am pretty much like the rest of you that I don't get upset with kitchen gadgets as gifts. People that year were appauled that he would get that. Its not like it was a bathroom scale (unless it was the one I wanted : ))

Dinners for me are on the run now because Nick (DS 13)is getting tutored from 4:30-6:30 for 4 nights a week at Huntington Learning..so my routine is now all messed up.

Need to find that crock pot some where in this kitchen!

Have good day all!

• maggie2094
    16 years ago

Michelle, here is the recipe for the Chinese Almond Cookies. They are like the ones you get from Chinese take out restaurants - before they started to mass produce them. So good! I loved them as a child. I love the basket!

Sol, yep - Michael's! What you may wonder came first? The cookie recipe or the container? I hope you get some and post a proper picture! I thought they were expensive at $1 each. Hey, I could have used my 40% off coupon for 1 item - LOL!!! Your oranges are mesmerizing.

I was thinking the same thing about Chase! I wish you posted photos more!

Flamingo - Get the crockpot out! I use it often these days.

Stacy - I am sitting here thinking I would love to make your pork dish but dh doesn't like olives and is so so on capers...and then I thought why do I do that? I like it and the heck with him - he can pick them out:D

Yes, Rob - were you disturbing fluffer doodles nap? LOL! I do that, too.

Hawk, I have your chicken on my to do list. Soon!

Terri, all the candles sound good but I will take the Sultry Angel - it is so ME! haha!!!! We like dino nuggets around here, too.

Nancy, that sounds like a pretty good dinner for the "dinner blahs". I can totally relate to "wandering" around the store.

Crafty, you come up with great soups!

Kathleen, how is Declan?

Tonight is shell steaks on the grill with....?

Chinese Almond Cookies
    (Sunset)
    Prep and Cook Time: about 45 minutes, plus 1 hour to chill. Notes: You can store the cookies airtight for up to 3 days.

1 cup (1/2 lb.) butter, at room temperature
    1 cup sugar
    1 large egg
    1/2 teaspoon almond extract
    2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    1 large egg yolk
    1 tablespoon milk
    1/3 cup blanched whole almonds
    2 tablespoons sesame seeds

1. In a large bowl, with an electric mixer on medium speed, beat butter and sugar until smooth. Add whole egg and almond extract and beat until well blended. Stir or beat in flour and baking powder until well blended. Cover bowl and chill until dough is firm, about 1 hour.
    2. Shape dough into 1-inch balls, flatten each slightly, and place each about 1 inch apart on buttered or cooking parchment-lined 12- by 15-inch baking sheets.

3. In a small bowl, beat egg yolk with milk to blend. Brush cookies lightly with egg mixture; discard any remaining. Press an almond into the center of each cookie and sprinkle each with about 1/8 teaspoon sesame seeds.

4. Bake cookies in a 325° oven until lightly browned, 15 to 20 minutes; if baking more than one pan at a time, switch pan positions halfway through baking. Let cookies cool on sheets for 5 minutes, then use a wide spatula to transfer to racks to cool completely.
    Yield: Makes about 48 cookies
    (I subbed 1/2 cup almond meal for flour and left out the sesame seeds)

• Solsthumper
    16 years ago

Sol, yep - Michael's! What you may wonder came first? The cookie recipe or the container? I hope you get some and post a proper picture!

Maggie, the proper picture has already been posted. YOURS. And I think you should run with it and use it for Valentine's Day.
    You know, I used to get Michael's coupons in the Sunday papers, but I'd always forget to take the blessed coupons with me when I'd go there. Still, I like to roam the store sometimes, for inspiration.

Sol

• msazadi
    16 years ago

Boy, we had our soup night just in time. (yeah I know, you saw what the chowder looked like but it DID get to the table too...)The 'boys' finished up the last of my cooking class bread too. Yeah!

Early yesterday, I decided I just wanted to stay home instead of going to New Orleans too, so I took dh to the airport today, and when I came home this started about 2 hrs later.

I now hear the rain which tells me it's time to shove some off the cars if I don't want to have ice in the am.

It's also time to dust off some recipes and get bread and soup and the oven cracking. Actually I don't feel like cooking so maybe I'll just read in front of the fire with the cat. It's such a treat to be home on a snowy day. ;-)

• Terri_PacNW
    16 years ago

Michelle, I liked Kevin too..but I love Christian..he's so "Molly Ringwold/16 Candles and Pretty in Pink"! I find comfort in my teen years I guess. LOL And I just love Chris too..for different reasons..I hope the battle gets down to them..

Maggie, Sultry Angel huh? You little minx! I actually have the two candles I made yesterday burning, because I'm wick testing for gifts. So the house smells good.

Dinner tonight....Lasagna I believe..in fact..I may just get it started and put in the fridge to "soak" the flavors.

I also have a teen son to deal with...UGH! I hate phone calls from teachers in the middle of the school day........I'm thinking I may just type up my feelings..might avoid an big blow up!

• hawk307
    16 years ago

Everything looks Great. What Photography !!!!!
    Sol: Flattery will get you everywhere. You too Michele !!!

I have to hurry because I have a story to tell.

Last weekend I went to my Daughter's for a Pizza Party, near Philly.
    Actually they baked about 40 " Tiella " ,which is like
    Strombolli" but not"
    It was her girlfriend Mary's Birthday and they do this every year.
    Mary's family were originally from Gaeta, Italy, above Naples.
    Last year about 12 of them took a trip there, to visit and tour.
    I was fascinated with the Story of Gaeta, so I copied it,
    for you.

This is what I had for dinner. This one is Calamari in Sauce,
    with Olives,Mushrooms w. Peppers and Onions chopped fine

{{gwi:1478572}}

HERE IS THE ARTICLE

June 29, 2006
    Tiella of Gaeta:
    From time to time I get e-mails from Americans (and I mean Argentineans as well as US Americans) asking for some particular Italian recipe their grandmother used to make. I am happy to help whenever I can, I love those trips down memory lane, but occasionally I feel terribly sorry for not being able to lend my hand in their recipe search. Sometimes it is because, while I know the dish well, I have no idea of how the recipe looks like. Yet more often, I simply have no idea what dish they are talking about: the name might be familiar, but the description of the dish is not. The problem is that Italy simply does not have a national cuisine, but rather a collection of local ones that at times can change dramatically just going over the next hill. So, even for a born and raised Italian like me, Italy remains an immense cooking school, with a promise of something new around the next road bend.

. I was reading William Black's "Al Dente", a very well written and enjoyable book about Italian food and history, and stumbled upon his description of Tiella Gaeta, the stuffed "bread" typical of Gaeta . Now, I spent many of my childhood summer holidays in the area near Gaeta, so I had heard the name before, but I must admit I had no idea what the dish was. Black describes food in such a delicious way something he definitely has a knack for that I knew I had to get a bite of tiella as soon as I could. I also wanted to learn more about it.

I did not manage to find much about the history of this dish, but to me tiella symbolises the perfect union of love for food, local ingredients and a practical take to eating.

According to some sources tiella was the fare of the local mariners: simple to eat yet delicious. Tiella is essentially two disks of bread dough, brushed with plenty of oil, stuffed with a moderate amount of simple ingredients, sealed and baked.
    You can find similar items throughout many countries whose eating culture is centred on wheat, but tiella Gaetana has a couple of peculiarities that make it unique. First of all, the border sealing the two disks of dough is always wavy like the sea. The dough itself is made without oil, yet the bottom and top of the "bread" should be brushed abundantly with extra virgin olive oil. Finally the stuffing, which has a few rules of its own. The most classic of tiellas is made with octopus, some gaeta olives, tomatoes, parsley and plenty of olive oil, but there are plenty of variations: escarole and olives, escaroles and bacclà (salted cod), anchovies, tiny calamaretti and zucchini and cheese (sheep) are just a few. The purist say that once you cut the tiella into quarters and bite into it, there should be so much oil in the filling that it runs down your forearms. I don't find that particularly appetising, to be completely honest. Traditional recipes can be good, but sometimes there is a reason why evolution is better. On the other hand, I completely agree with the keepers of the Gaetan tradition when they claim that tiella should only be paired with wine, never water. A nice cool wine from Lazio or Campania goes down a treat with it.
    For my taste of tiella, I followed Black's tip and went to Chinappi a tiny and somewhat hidden bakery that specialises in Tiella. It was a difficult choice, but the first go had to be tiella with octopus, which was simply delicious. The oily dough was a delectable container for the filling of sweet tomatoes, firm (but not hard octopus, rich of sea aromas, and the occasional slightly bitter punch of the olive.

• msafirstein
    16 years ago

Oh Lou what a fabulous story and thanks so much for posting it for us! I have been craving stuffed bread of some sort. Could I use your pizza dough recipe and add more oil?

Woodie, Joe just grills the lamb shoulder chops and no they are not tough at all. I grew up in an area of MI with a large population of Lebanese and they were always insistent on using the lamb shoulder due to a better flavored piece of meat and they were right!

Maureen, winter pictures always look like black and white photography, don't they!! We had some snow today too and the temps dropped dramatically! It is bitter cold outside now and the wind is just howling. I'm glad I'm inside and warm today!

Sol, thanks for letting me know about the Quinoa Pilaf recipe. Your oranges looks so good and I think I might have some Grand Marnier after dinner!

Thanks Maggie and Stacie for posting your recipes, both are C&P!

Terri, I love Christain too, he is an excellent designer and he knows how to sew. But Julian is perfection and so far she is my favorite. It's nice this time that there is no "bad guy" to spoil the fun but Rami is starting to get on my nerves.

Nothing special on todays menu except DH brought me home some Arancini from the deli and I think I might have another addiction brewing!!! Boy are they ever good!!!

I've been craving chocolate and oranges ever since making my mini tarts. Might just have to blow caution to the wind and bake something tonight.

Michelle

• craftyrn
    16 years ago

Ahh Lamb!-- been ages since I had any-- sure looks good Michelle . Great basket !
    Lou-- that's not plain-- is luscious looking.
    Sol-- that picture with the oranges needs to be on some one's wall !

Left early this am for a private duty case-- threw baby back ribs & sauerkraut in crock pot before I ran out the door--- while it was good

,I still prefer the taste & texture of them done in the oven-- for some reason anything I do in crock pot seems "greasier" . Side was steamed apples & sweet potato with a sprinkle of allspice, needed with all that "fat" that's not suppose to be on DH's diet .
    '.

• hawk307
    16 years ago

Michelle; I'm going to try some myself. I have Seafood Spaghetti Sauce made.
    It's in the freezer, just waiting for something to do.

Maybe I'll buy Calamari and Black Olives. I have Roasted Peppers.
    That should make a good Combo w. the Onions. Wheeeoooo !!!
    Lou

• kathleen_li
    16 years ago

I am skipping the octopus and squid....
    Lou, I don't see any white meat in there for me! lol

I made my version of Crab rangoon. It was just ok..didn't want to fry it, so I baked it in the wontons..

And I made the crispy shrimp with honey walnuts, snow peas and rice. The sauce in the restaurant where I get it, is dark, not creamy, and sweet. So I used apricot liquor, duck sauce ,scallions, a little honey, and Yoshidas Gourmet Sauce, and a little rice water and corn starch. It was pretty close...I didn't get a better shot as the batteries ran out after one pic for one, and I am not a great photog for another reason!

• lsr2002
    16 years ago

I would love Stacey's pork, Michelle's lamb, Lou's chicken, and as fabulous as Maggie's almond cookies look, I think I'd better stay with Sol's oranges after this huge fantasy dinner.

I changed dinner plans in midstream tonight. Made Ann T's Pork Chile Verde, which we love, and had planned to serve it as a stew with black beans and tortillas on the side. When it was cooked and the big chunks of pork were very tender I tasted it and discovered it was oh so salty. I think the vac packed pork sirloin was brined and then I used regular boxed chicken stock. Dinner was saved by cooking and then removing a thickly sliced potato to absorb some of the salt from the chile. I quickly roasted a sweet red pepper, mashed some unseasoned black beans with some of the chile liquid and made pork and black bean enchiladas with red pepper. Not quite what I planned but it worked.

Lee

• canarybird01
    16 years ago

Michelle....I love pergolas and the ones here are usually hung with grapes and look so cosy, but this patio corner is so small that we decided a little table and parasol umbrella would be fine as it can be folded away when we want. I'm looking for a nice one.
    Love your Habanera gold jelly. That basket looks great for market shopping.

Stacy I didn't get to say how yummy is your goulash! And the pork medallions as well.

Diane I've been meaning to make baked apples again. Thanks for reminding me !

Sol I love that walnut bread and the beautiful oranges. My Grand Marnier is down to the last drops as I always put a bit in a fruit salad.

Maggie I've never seen honeybell oranges. I bet they're delicious.

Maureen the stifado must be similar to Spanish "estofado" (stew.) Yours looks good!

Annie I love the coffees here too. The cortados are usually nice and strong.

Robin - hugs for Keegan!

Lou...you sure manage to keep baking up a storm! And thanks for the little story.

Kathleen I'd also skip the octopus and squid and much rather try your crispy shrimp!

Lee that's a lovely photo of your pork dish.

Well as long as we have friends visiting from Germany and our houseguest, we're still going out in the car for drives and lunch. Wednesday we took them all to that rustic grill in the banana plantation by the sea for another one of our favourite combo meals of local food and wine. We were five persons and here are some of what we had:

Local wine, vegetable soup, that wonderful salad, rabbit in Salmorejo Sauce, sizzling garlic shrimp (my dish), chicken livers, wrinkled salt potatoes, sirloin & mushrooms, chocolate pudding and finally several cafes cortado. Yum.
    We had to walk up a short hill back to the car afterwards.....it was difficult! LOL.

I'll type out a recipe for the salmorejo sauce in my next post as it's used quite a lot here in the Canaries for marinating chicken, rabbit and goat and it's worth having a try making and tasting it.

Suzie yesterday decided that lying on daddy's favourite chair was much more comfortable than outside on the cold lawn. Wolf is such a softie that he'd spend the rest of the evening sitting on another chair so as not to disturb her!

Be Happy! :-)

SharonCb

• wizardnm
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Lee, sometimes what we don't plan turns out the best. The hard part is recreating it another time. Your pork enchiladas sound really good. Nice pic!!

Lou, I enjoyed your story.

Michelle, I had to look up Arancini to see what it was...found a tomato/basil recipe on Chow Hound..sounds really interesting. Not something found in deli's around here, that's for sure.

Kathleen, I love you black and white table setting. I been wanting black place mats but haven't found any in my price range yet.... your Crispy Honey Walnut Shrimp looks really yummy. I love anything like that. I'm wondering if the sauce part of Sol's Caramel Chicken recipe would be adaptable...

Recently I recieved a surcie from Mustangs and in it was a rice mix that is produced in her area. I took the liberty of adding some shrimp and peas to make it a one dish meal. It was really good. Thanks again Cathy!!!!!

{{gwi:1478586}}

Nancy

• User
    16 years ago

Thanks Stacy.

Lou, Wow, that is some pie. Gorgeous. I know what you mean about cinnamon. I wouldn't like it in pasta sauce either.

Sol, You should frame that photo with the oranges. Another work of art.

Sharon, all of your meals look wonderful, but it is that dish of chicken livers that I'm drooling over. I LOVE chicken livers and haven't cooked them in a while.

Nancy, was that an instant risotto or did you have to cook it the traditional way? Looks good.

We had pasta for dinner with Italian sausage.

I found the best deal on Blackberries at my favourite little vegetable market. Twelve half pints for $5.00. At this time of year, they usually sell for $2.99 to $3.99 a half pint. I bought 24 , most of which will end up in the freezer. Used three half pints tonight in a cobbler. Topped with whipped heavy cream.

• stacy3
    16 years ago

Sharon, I love seeing the wine pitcher in your photos - I just love mine. :-)

Ann, that cobbler - wow. wow.

and thanks for your comment on my photograph - :-)

Nancy that risotto does look good. I doubt I'd find that kind around here.

Lee, way to improvise! I'd probably just have made everybody eat it, salt and all - lol.

oooh, Lou, that's beautiful!

Last night we had black bean soup with sausage and homemade bread. I don't have a pic of the bread as Will was eating it as fast as I was slicing it!

{{gwi:1478589}}

Now why is it EVERY single time I pick up my camera to get photos from it, I end up with a few of these???

{{gwi:1478590}}

yup - that's Will's tongue. kooky kid.

:-)

Stacy

• msazadi
    16 years ago

Ann, they have been promoting black berries here along with blueberries...yet another anti-oxidant. That's great by itself but the prices are also good. 2 punnets for $4. The blackberries have been huge and amazingly long keeping and about the size of half a thumb. Big!

Lee, that was a good save...the sign of a cook who knows her way round the kitchen.

Sharon, I like the wavy font on your latest pics. The food, of course, is always yummy looking. I could go for those potatoes the more I see them.

Well last night was very good, esp as Dick and I had planned to take these patties to New Orleans. He forgot them so one was sufficient for me for dinner.

The recipe called for minced pork but I used half chicken breast and half Amish bacon both minced in the fp. No lime so lemon substituted. I made the patties with a half cup measurer which formed them quite well.

Got out the waffle iron ...to remind me to make dosas in it..so breakfast was a faux ham and cheese panini with a pickled egg. That should hold me till dinner!

• msafirstein
    16 years ago

WOW....this thread is cook'n along!

Kathleen, I LOVE your black and white table settings...just gorgeous!!! And the crispy shrimp looks so darn good!

Nancy, Arancini are Italian stuffed rice balls breaded and deep fried and just wonderful! I will link an Arancini pictorial below for you. They look like they'd be messy fun to make! The ones I tasted are either stuffed with spinach and cheese or some kind of beef stew and both are wonderful.

Here's a picture of the just fried Arancini.

Lee, fabulous save of a wonderful dinner!!

Stacy...Will's tongue....LOL!! I guess the bread was good!

Ann, the Pasta with Sausage looks so good, we might have this tonight!

Sharon, the cafes cortado sure looks yummy! I think I might make some Mexican Hot Chocolate today it sure is cold enough here and supposed to get even colder!

Maureen, tell my about the lime and chicken patty?

Michelle

Here is a link that might be useful: Arancini

• lsr2002
    16 years ago

OMG Ann, your blackberry cobbler looks amazing, and the price of the berries even more amazing.

Maureen, I'd like to know about the Thai chicken patties, and what you served them on also.

Stacy, your soup looks so good and Will's tongue - too funny. I cooked lots of black beans in my rice cooker yesterday and I usually make soup for Saturday lunch; you have just set the theme!

Lee

• hawk307
    16 years ago

Ann:
    That's not Pasta. It's Rigatoni with Sausage.
    What kind of Italian are you ???
    Why am I trying to convert someone, who won't even try my recipe.
    Get a life, will you !!!!!If you try it, I'll make you an Honorary Italian
    Think I'll make the Souvlaki w. Italian sweet sausage. On Pita.

Kathleen;
    No more Breasts. Only legs and Thighs. I like all them parts ( on a woman )
    How did you and Sharon know I was going to use Shrimp in the Tiella.
    I have the Seafood Sauce in the freezer.I'll take a picture if I do.

Sol: Will you behave !!!

Stacy: Don't talk to me ! You never did tell me all about your camping trip.
    You wouldn't even leave Will here for awhile. You afraid he wouldn't leave ?
    Why don't you take him to Big Boulder, Sking. It's right in my back yard.

If and when I miss someone, tell me about it and won't answer !!!
    At times I have to a lot of running. That's a good excuse.
    LOU

• msazadi
    16 years ago

If a picture of a tongue is all you get from a teenage boy, you're doing good Stacy!

I'm not sure where this recipe came from, a blog I think. I found it a bit salty, but with the bland quinoa and the spinach, it all balanced out. I'd say in Thailand it would be served with white rice and tangy cucumber slices. Remember, I used boneless chicken breast and fatty bacon. Now that I think of it, I also used Siracha sauce instead of Sambal Ulek which I didn't have. Yes, I certainly 'messed with the recipe' but it still had a very authentic Asian taste.

ENTRÉE Thai Lime and Pork Patties

8 oz. lean minced pork
    2 cloves garlic, crushed
    1 teaspoon grated lime zest
    1 tablespoon Thai fish sauce
    2 teaspoons oyster sauce
    2 teaspoons sambal oelek
    1/4 cup finely chopped green spring onions
    1 egg white
    1 tablespoon oil

Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and mix well. Shape tablespoons of the mixture into little patties.
    Heat the oil in a frying pan, add the patties in a single layer and cook until lightly browned underneath. Turn the patties and cook on the other side until browned and cooked through. Don't overcook the patties or they will become dry.
    Serve the patties with Chili Lime Sauce.

Chili Lime Sauce
    4 red or green chilies
    2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
    1/3 cup lime juice
    1 tablespoon fish sauce
    1 tablespoon chopped fresh coriander

Process all the ingredients together to make a paste in food processor. Makes 1/2 cup

• kathleen_li
    16 years ago

Lou, you are a nut...behave yourself!!lol

Ann, those berries look so good! And what a great price..I don't like cinnamon in sauces, or nutmeg in stuffed shells or potato balls, but love it in baked goods...

Michelle, I thought of a dish for Groundhog day. When I was in grad school in Philly, a school where I subbed served a lunch called PORCUPINE BALLS. I was afraid to ask what they were! I am sure they aren't called that anymore, even in Elem school the kids would be cracking up over that...they were rice balls...I am going to Google it to see..
    Nancy, I don't know Sol's recipe for caramel chicken, it does look good. Where do I find the ingreds..I would make what I did again, the sauce was good....
    I will keep my eyes open for black placemats for you..

Maureen, that chicken patty looks good..I, like Lee, would like the recipe...please..

Sharon, I loved the Spanish refresher! Gambas Ajillo was a fav in a restaurant in Huntington we frequented, with wonderful bread to sop up the sauce...Looks delicious..gracias!

• msafirstein
    16 years ago

Kathleen...Groundhog Day is Feb 2, the same day as the Virtual Pizza Party. But we could do the Pizza Party and a salute to Groundhog's Day!

I remember Porcupine Balls, googled and they're meatballs made with rice to represent the quills. And there's a Dirty Martini and Dirt Cake too. I might do a special cupcake for Groundhog's day. I have an idea but not sure it will work out or not, a bit elegant for groundhogs!

BTW, Kathleen I just love the glasses in your table setting.....Very 1930's and would be perfect in my house!

Michelle

• kathleen_li
    16 years ago

Michelle, porcupine ball pizza sounds...interesting, lol
    And I know some elegant groundhogs...Puxatawny Phil wears a Top Hat!
    I got the glasses Wed in Pfaltsgraff clearance center...96 cents....And dishesdone commented on them on GB too. I just couldn't pass them up..I don't need glasses, really..

I don't know if I am doing the Pizza thing. I just finished making a Sausage bread...and I want to do a Mardi Gras table..but I guess I could do that and have pizza!

• annie1992
    16 years ago

Michelle, that is a very cute and useful basket, you'e right, it would make a great swap gift!

Lou, I don't like cinnamon in tomato sauces either. I'm glad it's not just me, but I mostly like cinnamon or lemon in sweet or baked stuff, not much else.

Nancy, I'll tell Ashley, she says "we" need to go visit you and Kim again. LOL

Stacy, the soup looks good but I really laughed at the picture of Will's tongue. (grin) Smart boy, go straight for the fresh bread!

Flamingo, Bud doesn't care yet which waffle he gets, as long as he gets to eat. Food is paramount, presentation is secondary to that boy! That'll probably change...(sigh)...but right now, he eats everything!

Supper? Yeah, we had some. Elery was here and I cooked for him, I have pictures at home and I'll post them tonight.

Sharon, I don't blame the kitties for staying inside on the chair!

Annie

• mustangs81
    16 years ago

Nancy, I'm glad the you tried the Risotto. I was hoping that you would report back, I've never tried the Alessi packaged risotto.

• deborah_ps
    16 years ago

I posted the recipe for the Thai Lime Patties. They're tasty aren't they? I serve them over a bed of fresh arugula or as an appetizer. Just make the patties small.
    If you like Thai, I have a number of dishes to share.
    Deborah

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals