SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aliris19

Kitchen faucets: a new learning curve

aliris19
13 years ago

Hi yall -- I am on to a new purchase. There is so much more learning going on here than I'd bargained for. I appreciate so much everyone's knowledge here and willingness to share it.

I haven't researched the issues surrounding a kitchen faucet as much as I should. Forgive me for being a little light on the archive-searching. Here are my questions:

One issue is I think whether the spray feature stays on or off depending on what setting you last had it on. I gather some faucets will pop back to some default position. I'm guessing, though I don't know, that which default position that is varies. Moreover I think there are a couple ways to revert to default; automatically if the button is not depressed always, and only after the sink is shut off. My question is: what do you call this feature? Is there any consensus about which is "better"? I would be pretty surprised if so, but thought I'd ask. Are there any other issues about the spray of importance? Whether it splatters I suppose....

There seem to be several neck styles. Is there any way to sum these up? There's that goose-neck that swoops up and down in a fairly tight radius. And there's a kind that goes out sort of flatly. And there are short angled upwards-ones. Is there any way of generalizing the faucet shape? Apart from view-incroachment are there issues to know about as to why one is preferable over another?

The way faucets pull out and down: I know that's an issue. I bet that magnet I read about keeps some of the heads in place. I bet one of life's more annoying "features" would be a faucet that didn't stay put.

Groovy on/off styles, touch and the like. Plus I suppose you could group in this category the way the handle moves, swivel downward, back and forth -- I've no doubt there are many more.

Reach of the faucet. I think this is important to fit with your sink. Is there any rule as to where the faucet's stream should hit on the sink?

And here's a specific question, though I may have bored everyone with the above such that no one will read and answer this: Do you think the long 10" throw of the Ladylux pullout would be too much for a 21" x 16.75" (interior dimension) sink? I'll try to put it on the diagonal so that might help. It's on sale at costco.com and seemed a good deal as it is practically revered. Any thoughts?

Thank you all!

Comments (3)