SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fenworth

My turkey saga (long)

fenworth
16 years ago

From one end of the house our group of 20+ was being summoned to the table for Thanksgiving dinner, from upstairs I was being called to help clean up my son who had just gotten sick all over the place. Another violent bout during clean-up and we decided to excuse ourselves. We drove to my nearby inlaws house and within hours three of the four of us (fortunately not the baby) were reduced to bed-ridden human food cannons. That lasted about 36 hours.

This past week as I was on the road I kept thinking about how we missed out on that meal, and made up my mind to make up for it by cooking a turkey dinner this weekend. I decided to try a CookÂs Illustrated recipe for butterflied high roast turkey over sausage cornbread stuffing since IÂve had such great results with their butterflied chicken recipe. Saturday I baked cornbread, made the stuffing, brined my 12 pounder, then set it to air dry overnight.

Sunday came, I threw the bird in the oven, and 85 minutes later the thigh registered at 175 deg and out came a beautifully browned, crisped turkey. While that rested I went to finish the mashed potatoes, but I could not get them through the ricer. Undercooked. Oh well, my wife quickly made some potatoes out of a box. I was annoyed but ok with that.

I started cutting up the turkey, and as I pulled back the legs which had been pulled up to rest on the breast as directed I saw that this portion of the skin was not so crisp and brown. In fact it was white. Cut it off and threw it away. Cut off the breast and found the inside to be raw. Not undercooked, blatantly raw. As I threw the whole thing in the garbage I informed the family that we were going out dinner. Fortunately it was just 6:00, so off to Applebees we went.

We came home in just enough time to start a fire and make some popcorn as I had been promising my son all weekend. I guess I held the popper too close to the fire because it started popping away almost immediately and the popcorn was burnt. This never happened to me before but no big deal, I threw the batch out and started over. This time, as I shook the popper the lid came flying off and popping corn jumped out all over the place. With that I said, "I give up!" poured myself a scotch and plopped down in front of the TV.

So, what to do with a mound of stuffing and some mashed potatoes? Maybe IÂll just roast up a chicken. But turkey will likely have to wait till next Thanksgiving.

Comments (12)