SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
moosemac_gw

The 40 lb. Turkey Saga

moosemac
16 years ago

My daughterÂs ice hockey coach raises turkeys. Being new to the team, I had no idea he raised turkeys or the size of the birds. So when the coach asked if I would like a turkey, I of course said yes. When he asked what size, I said the bigger the better (we normally have a 30 lb.+ turkey). Now these turkeys are free range and fed organic feed only and are FRESH (slaughtered this Sunday) so they are "primo" hence I was very excited untilÂmy turkey was delivered. The behemoth weighed in at 40.5 lbs. Once I got a gander at the bird, I knew I was in trouble. I didnÂt have a pan big enough to fit a 20"L x 15"W x 10+"H bird. Heck my oven is only 21.5"L x 16"W.

Now I was in a panic, only 4 days until the big day and no pan. I called every restaurant & kitchen supply place within 50 miles, left messages and hit a lot of dead ends to no avail. Then late last night a company called back; they had a pan. At 6 AM this morning before work, I drove 30 miles to pick up a roaster pan to fit my bird. Pan in hand and definitely poorer, I flew to work. Hopefully I have calculated correctly and with the bird in the oven by 11 PM tonight, it should be ready for our feast tomorrow. By all reports from other team parents who have had these enormous birds in the past, the birds are delicious and tender. Keep your fingers crossed. (Yes I brined it.)

Did I mention my alarm is set to go off every 2 hours so I can baste the beast? :-)

Comments (28)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!