SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
riesenschwimmer

The Continuing Saga of Cini and the O.Z.Z.Z.Z. Crew's Quest

riesenschwimmer
15 years ago

First, a bit of history. This project began during the summer of 2007, when I purchased a plastic kiddie pool for my Miniature and three Giant Schnauzers it lasted all of a week before it was literally shredded to pieces. I still occasionally find slivers of plastic in the backyard.

Thinking I was smarter than canines, this past May I purchased a 10Â Intex pool. (Oh, and in April 2008 I took in another Giant puppy who had been rescued from a puppy mill). Anyhow, after spending about four hours putting the stupid thing together and filling it, I spent the next three hours watching the furkids have a blast in the pool. The adult male and female (125 pounds and 85 pounds, respectively) quickly learned to jump over the edge to get into the pool; the 75 pound adolescent kinda hopped in; the 50 pound puppy followed the adolescentÂs lead; and the Mini just kinda looked on in fascination (heÂs the grumpy old man who HATES getting wet). Around 4:30 p.m., I realized I hadnÂt eaten all day and made a fast food run. I was gone for 30 to 45 minutes and when I came home, the blue ring was deflated, the walls had caved in on the pool, and I had about 750 gallons of water in my backyard. (So much for that bright idea).

Again, thinking myself superior in intellect to canines (HA!), I decided to get an above-ground pool. Finding one that I found aesthetically pleasing was daunting, but I did finally find a wood-walled one that I really liked. However, wood-walled pools are rare in Texas so finding a qualified installer proved problematic. In a nutshell, by the time I would have paid for the pool and equipment, shipping, installation, decking and landscaping I was fast approaching the $12K mark. Seems to me that IÂm close to the halfway mark of the cost of a small in-ground pool and being of the opinion that an in-ground pool would be a better investment, I have now decided to go in that direction. ItÂs funny to me how this pool obsession of mine has gone from $5.00 for kiddie pool, to $100 for Intex to $12K for above ground, and now $25K plus for in-ground. Of course, after reading up to page 30 of the posts here and many posts on TFP, I think the price will be closer to $40 or $50 when all is said and done. So now that you have the history, hereÂs the beginning of "The Continuing Saga of Cini and the O.Z.Z.Z.Z. CrewÂs (thatÂs Obie, Zora, Zelda, Zigfried and Zena) Quest for a New Backyard Oasis."

IÂll preface this by saying that I just your average, single, middle-class working woman who doesnÂt believe in wasting money. By the same token, I am a firm believer in the adage "you get what you pay for." That being said, I hope to build the best pool (low maintenance/high efficiency) that I can possibly affordably build. With that in mind, I have perused many threads to come up with my pool specs, and believe I am going about this the right way. This is a preliminary to-scale sketch I made of the proposed pool I envision in my backyard, complete with my specifications (this includes adding a pergola over rear patio and integrated grill pad near side patio):

The basic pool specs are: 12Âx23Â(interior dimension) rectangle w/5Â Baja shelf entry; 2Â perimeter ledge (for the furkids), 13Â raised beam with water feature; two-speed or variable speed pump; oversized cartridge or D.E. filter; SWCG; automated controls; automatic cleaner; 6" waterline tile; cast stone coping; and acid stained concrete decking. After researching this and other fora, as well as the BBB Reliability Reports, I have selected six PBs from whom I am soliciting bids for this pool. I have also selected PBÂs who complete "Master Plans," in the belief that I may obtain more favorable pricing, as well as lessen the possibility of miscommunication amongst the various subs (among other things) by working with one contractor. I should stress that the commencement of the actual pool build is six months to a year or so down the road, as I had hoped to pay cash for this project. Other portions of the landscaping project which arenÂt pool build dependent will commence within the next month or so. The reality of the situation, however, is that I can easily see this morphing into a $50K project (precluding any cash payment option unless I hit the Lotto. LOL!) I have advised each PB to whom I have requested bids that I am not planning to build for six months to a year so that I donÂt waste their time or mine. I am just trying to line up all my ducks well in advance so I have no major surprises.

IÂve received five of seven bids thus far, but this particular bid is the one I am favoring. Can you review and tell me (equipment Âwise) whether you would add or subtract anything? Pentair offers some type of Ph control device (I think similar to Sense and Dispense) Â worth having? IÂd probably also add an autofiller/leveler. The only other thing I can think of equipment wise is either an automatic or retractable safety cover (to keep the dogs out). I know the autocovers are expensive; however, the alternative is enclosing the pool/patio area with about 120 l.f. of aluminum fencing, so the cost of one may offset the other, especially on a pool of this size.

I spoke with PB over phone and described scope of work and timeline on June 23; sent PB survey plat and my drawing on 6/27; received detailed plan AND drawings and itemized pricing sheet on 06/29. I felt instant rapport with this PB (I operate a lot on instinct; I usually immediately like or dislike people -- and am almost always en pointe  and I really liked him), and he seems to really know his stuff. Based on my drawing, this is what he came back with (if I can figure out how to upload pdfs to flickr, IÂll add a couple of the PB's drawings to my pool build set):

12Âx23Â pool; 80Â perimeter; 301 s.f.; 3Â6"-5Â6"-4Â6"

400 s.f. decking

Intelliflow 4x160 variable speed pump

FNSP 60 DE filter w/multiport valve

Legend Platinum Hummer with booster pump;

Compool Easy Touch wireless computer

Salt System w/CPU; salt for pool startup

White plaster w/standard liquid dye

Three 24" sheer descents

13Â raised stone beam wall

Gunite  12" raised bond beam, 4K PSI; 10" thick floor (min.); 8" thick wall (min.) per l.f.

3/8" (#3) rebar; 1-inch bond beam: 8 and 10 off center

Standard electrical install to present home panel box

Plumbing 30Â from water; #4 PVC; five returns; dual main drains; two skimmers; 2" lines

Standard 6" waterline tile; 12" flagstone, artistic paver or brick coping

500 watt light

Standard pool price - $26,455.92

Upgrades as proposed in drawing - $20,547.53 (PB will give 5% discount with Master Plan)

Waterfall line to booster pump - $398.75

Raised beam - $875.00

Computer wiring - $653.75

Three 24" sheer descents with 30Â line, valve - $1,147.50

Acid stain concrete - $1,710.00

Pebbletec or Pebblesheen std. colors - $3,200.00

Intellibrite LED light - $583.75

Compool Easy Touch Computer w/Intellichlor Salt System Integration - $2,542.53

Salt for system startup - $332.50

100 s.q. Cedar arbor - $2,800.00

160 l.f. Cedar fence w/two gates - $4,396.00

Bronze landscape pkg. (one 30-gal. and one 15-gal. Mex. Fan palm/windmill palm; 30 3-gal. evergreen shrubs; two five-gal. sago palms; 15 one-gal. assÂt. perennials; two flats seasonal color; 100 ft. steel green edging; 60 bags hardwood mulch) - $1,875.00

One pallet sod - $181.25

The PB itemized pricing for all upgrades, so I really like the fact that if I change my mind about decking, I know what upgrading to travertine will cost and can plan accordingly. The same holds true for upgrading landscaping package or any other component of the project. As I have not yet made a final decision on the PB (and because I donÂt want to jinx myself), I would prefer not to publicly disclose the PBÂs name just yet. Be assured that I will have a D&B report pulled, check references and inspect work product of any PB with whom I enter into a contract. This saga will be ongoing for some time to come. I have started a Pool Build set on Flickr. I'll continue to add photos as things progress.

In the meantime, thanks in advance for reading my tome. (I know I tend to be on the long-winded side.) I would really appreciate any advice or suggestions you may have.

Comments (11)

• devildog1989
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Show me the Schnauzers! We have a Mini and love him like a son.

• riesenschwimmer
    Original Author
    15 years ago

LOL! Here they are:

Oberon -- 22 pounds of attitude! He'll be three on Nov. 6.

Zora the Diva -- she just turned 3 on June 22 (she actually climbed into bed and pulled the covers up over herself)

Zigfried (125 pounds, but Obie punks him out all the time. His bark is definitely worse than his bite!) and Zelda (she's a Pepper & Salt Giant, and one of 10 -- yes, TEN -- of Zora and Zig's litter born March 1 and 2 of 2007. Her coat is beginning to get more gray in it now; this pic was taken at the first of April)

And finally, Zena (Zena is a puppy mill rescue that I intended to foster, but she fit in so well with my pack that she stayed)

So, I guess you understand that I don't just want a pool -- I NEED a pool! Giants literally have webbed feet and will swim for hours if allowed to do so. Making the trek to White Rock Lake for swimming with my motley crew is no longer an easy thing to do. LOL! They are really humans in fur!

Oh! And here's the ten little Giants last year, about a week before they went to their new homes (at seven weeks, they were alreay weighing between 20 and 25 pounds -- the size of my Mini! LOL!):

• devildog1989
    15 years ago
  • devildog1989
    15 years ago

Here is our Bismarck.He is 3yrs old and 18lbs.He is afraid
    of the water.Good luck with your pool.

• concretehole
    15 years ago

$332 for Salt for startup? What are you buying the salt mine? Our pool is twice yours and I think they put in about 8 to 10 bags at startup. Last time I checked at home depot a bag of salt was about $6. PB may be padding a couple of items to cover cost, such as computer wiring should be in with your electrical. I would remind him you are on a budget. Even the good PB's always have a second price when questioned.

• tresw
    15 years ago

Cute dogs!!

The same two items that Concretehole mentioned jumped out at me as well. I don't understand what they are referring to with "computer wiring". Any wiring involved with the automation should be in the automation number, unless you are having other things unrelated to the pool controlled by it (such as pergola lighting). Most PBs include salt in the SWG price, that 332 seems way out of line.

On the controller, if you are only going to be controlling the spa, sheers, light and SWG you might be able to go with a SunTouch. It's about 1000 bucks with a QuickTouch 4 button on/ off remote. But if you're planning on adding solar in the future or anything else that needs to be controlled, that would exceed the capacity of the SunTouch.

You might also consider that pebble upgrade if the pooches are going to be swimming much. I think their nails would be less likely to scratch a pebble finish than regular plaster.

Everything else on your pricing and description looks great! Good luck!

• riesenschwimmer
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Devildog - Bismarck is soooo cute! He looks like a stuffed animal. Did he have anything to do wih your screen name? LOL! Thanks for the well wishes.

Concrete and Tres -- I question the salt price, as well. I'll ask him about that. As far as the computer wiring goes, I'll get clarification on what it includes. I don't whether or not it matters, but I am going with a wireless setup w/remote, and do want to be able to control the pergola lighting. I only included here upgrade pricing for items that I definitely want to include (the PB supplied a 10-page itemized list), so I have listed pricing for a Pebble finish. The PB included pricing for Diamondbrite as well. In reading some of the threads here, I see references to Beadcrete and Hydrazzo -- either of which may be a finish option. I want to make sure I go with something that will hold up to the dogs. Hopefully, a PB here will chime in with respect to which finish would hold up best to big dogs. Thanks so much for your feedback.

• riesenschwimmer
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Just had a thought: Nowhere in the pricing did I see where the PB upcharged for the Intelliflo VF or the DE filter -- I imagine that the wiring and salt charges are covering those costs? While I am on a budget, I also realize that there's a profit margin in the pricing, too. As long as I'm not being exhorbitantly overcharged, I can probably live with the PB making a little additional profit as long as he does a great job on the project. For reference, another well-respected and highly recommended PB wanted $45K for just the pool with a Pebble finish and Jandy equipment.

• smbnobles
    15 years ago

I can't believe anyone would build a pool for their dogs. What kind of crazy person does that??? I'd never do that. ;-)

(BTW - I have two Retrievers; I totally understand about the need to swim!)

Oh, by the way, here's my pool and my pergola. We absolutely LOVE the pergola! It was expensive but worth every penny. :-)

Chloe and Piper's pool:

• riesenschwimmer
    Original Author
    15 years ago

smnobles -- I have been admiring your pool and pooches as a lurker! Yes, we crazy dog people will do a lot for our furkids, huh? LOL! I love your pergola and the furniture. In fact, your pictures provided much inspiration. I really like your decking material, too. I want something very similar, but with grey/blue/white tones. I really like the look of bluestone, but am not sure how well it would hold up to the Texas heat and an SWCG.

• smbnobles
    15 years ago

Funny that you mention bluestone, because we spent July 4th at a friend's house and they have bluestone coping around their pool. It looked nice!

My Golden was diagnosed with Mast Cell Cancer two weeks ago, and she's had stitches from the surgery, and then two days after those were removed, she had to have them again for a drain at one of the incision sites. Of course, she can't swim because of them, and she's been driving me NUTS!

They come out Monday and I can't wait! We literally put the pool in for them, and it breaks my heart that once we finally get her one, she gets ill. :-(