SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cheryl_p_gw

to catch a feral litter....

cheryl_p
12 years ago

Ok, voice of experience needed: I found out today there is a litter of kittens under my deck. I heard from a neighbor that there was 2 small kittens playing behind his shed and thought that I would look into it more... well, this morning a tuxedo cat was just sitting in the middle of the deck watching the "goings-on" of my household thru the sliding screen. I went around to the side door to get to the deck and gently get her to move (you'll hear why next) and low and behold she slips under the deck. Now I have a very sweet dog (ready? - rat terrier) that has been going outside over the deck into the fenced yard many times a day and sometimes stays out playing for an hour. How did this occupation of kittens occur? We were out of town for 4 days - did mom move them in at that time? The dog still went out but was very curious about the path the cat took under the deck. I took the dog in real soon without a big hubub. Half hour later I kneeled over edge of the deck and meowed. One little black kitten came right out and I expected to see the other reported black kitten but a white and grey paw jutted out then a perky little grey/wh head and chest. But then quick went back in. I spoke to the little black but did not touch him/her. It went back under. They have not come out again but I can call and one of the black ones again answered my mew and came to within view. I don't know cats very well (have 2 adult females) and so don't know ages. They walk fine but still have a buggeyed look. Someone (mom?) has eaten canned food each time I put a tablespoon or so out today. I will leave alot of dry out tonight. I have called a rescue and they will look for a foster if I can catch them. I should try to give them human contact more. How? Believe it or not, I have a couple people already thinking they might adopt one.

How has this unfolded for any of you? I welcome & will use all pointers and advice of course! Thanks.

Comments (11)