SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thatchairlady

feral kittens?!?

thatchairlady
12 years ago

Discovered over weekend that I have a family of feral kittens living under my low deck! Incredibly cute... but HISS like mountain lions. Thinking about 4 weeks old... not terribly wobbly and able to climb up on low deck. They absolutely disappear at the slightest noise.

Had a major DUH moment! About 5-6 weeks ago... saw 2-3 "stray" cats in yard over a few week period. Very pretty calico, FLUFFY gray & white, and smallish all-black. Since discoveriing the kittens, the calico has been around more... mamma... DUH!! Other 2... not around... "baby daddies"... DUH!!

So far have seen 4 differrent kittens... all look "healthy" for ferals. The calico mama... no collar, but bet it has a home... not skinny or scruffy looking.

Animal shelter advised NOT to try to grab up kittens... WAY too fast for that. Neighbor gave me have-a-heart trap to use... reluctant, cuz don't wanna find a racoon, possum or SKUNK in it! Figure any of them would be lured by bait of cat food or tuna. Township says they'll send an animal control person around "as soon as they can"... not holding breath.

Know I'd be SOOO tempted to keep one... especially if as pretty as the calico I've seen. Have a 3 yo shelter cat who rescued me... know when kittens are around cuz she get very noisy!

Weather is supposed to be rainy next few days... maybe even t-storms tonight. I really don't want to encourage them but hate the thought of them sleeping under deck with rain dripping on them. Against better judgement, put lid to spare litter box out on deck... little bowl of dry food for mama and water... maybe temporary shelter.

Comments (13)