SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gajopa

Atypical Cushings ?

gajopa
15 years ago

Can anyone tell me what the difference is between Cushings and Atypical Cushings? My poodle was diagnosed with chronic active hepatitus and is being treated for it but he doesn't have the usual symptoms. A lady who is very knowledgeable in canine problems thinks he has either hypothyroidism or atypical Cushings. She is a friend of Lew Olson, PhD (who is an author and is the owner of the K-9 Nutrition list at Yahoo) and sent his lab results to her. Lew replied that he has "Cushings, for sure, or hypothyroidism." So, I told my Vet of my concern and he said he has been checked and doesn't have hypothyroidism. He was checked for Cushings in '04 but the Vet agreed to re-check him and said he could have gotten a 'false negative'. His partner called with the results today and said he doesn't have Cushings. I was out and my DH didn't know what questions to ask so I don't know much more than I did. The lady I mentioned is with her DH at a hospital in another city so I won't be able to talk with her for a long time. He was in a motorcycle accident and has a critical head injury. I'm at a loss as to what to do next. Jett pants almost constantly although we keep the A/C on 69 so he shouldn't be hot. Also his hair is thinning. Any help will be appreciated.

Comments (12)