SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
xracers_gw

Atypical Cushings & Chronic Kidney Disease

xracers
14 years ago

Hi,

I'm brand new to iVillage, hope this is the right forum...

My now 5 year old greyhound has Atypical Cushings and Chronic Kidney Disease. Her adrenal testing is done by U of Tenn. She has been on 12mg of Melatonin for about 7 months and it has helped level out some of the hormones. After about 5-6 months I noticed the symptoms returning and another test was sent to U of Tenn. The hormones treated by the Melatonin (estrogen/progesterone) are at a perfect level but now other hormones (NOT Cortisol) are out of wack. Cortisol is NOT involved. We are now adding flax hulls and a small dose of Lysodren 2 days/week. I am wondering if anyone has used this combination and especially Lysodren. And if this condition will impact her length of life. Also, regarding the kidney disease, since this dx Gracee is fed ONLY HILLS K/D. Treats are the K/D kibble. She can have a couple of baby carrots and a small amount of dried papaya each day but nothing else. Do you know anything about the best diet for a young dog with kidney disease? And, is there a connection between these 2 conditions? I'll do whatever it takes for Gracee (and Henry, our other greyhound - see them at their website, xracers.net) Thank you very much in advance.

Lisa

Gracee & Henry (xracers)

www.xracers.net

Here is a link that might be useful: Gracee & Henry - Adopt A Greyhound :-)

Comments (4)