SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
freezetag

Obsessive behavior in new rescue dog

freezetag
16 years ago

A month ago, we adopted a 1 year old lab/great dane mix (Hershey). Unfortunately our cat (Mason), who had never previously shown any fear of dogs, was immediately very afraid of Hershey, and ran to the basement, where he stayed for several days. Hershey would run down there from time to time, and occasionally would spot Mason high up on a shelf, and then they would sometimes bark/hiss, sometimes just look at one another.

Since Mason did not get over his fear quickly, I moved him to my daughter's upstairs bedroom and gated it off, so he can at least look out the window and be with people more. But now Hershey is acting very strange. He still goes to the basement and runs in circles, sometimes for hours. Thinking he was looking for Mason, I held Mason in my arms and called Hershey so that he could see that Mason is no longer down there. But the pacing/circling persists, and Hershey acts odd if we come down there, panting, barking and acting very agitated.

Any thoughts on why he is doing this? Should we prevent him from going down there? He has seen Mason in the bedroom several times, so I don't think he could be looking for him anymore. I take him for a run (a couple of miles) and one or two walks around the block every day, so I think that should be enough exercise. He acts normal everywhere else in the house.

Comments (9)