SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sipsy_gw

Rescue dog behavior ? (sorry a bit long)

sipsy
15 years ago

We lost our beloved little 13 yr old schnauzer Sipsy in Aug. We found a little 2 year or so schnauzer on a website who lived at a rescue farm not too far from us. We went to see him on election day and it was love at first sight. We brought him home with us that day and he has been adjusting well to our home. He is a lot more of a lap dog than our Sipsy. The biggest problem we have had is that when he is outside our fenced yard he runs away and will not come back until you catch him. And by run I mean "booking" it not just a casual trot. He did this yesterday and ran to go visit the dogs that live across the road from us. I know this is very dangerous.

Our house is nearly 1000 ft off the road, so you can imagine what a problem this will become.

We never had to keep Sipsy on a leash at any time and I just hate the thought of having to keep this one on a leash especially when we are out in our yard.

I know it has to do with him being a rescue. As a matter of fact, I feel that is why he is (was) a rescue - he ran away and had no ID tag. Does anyone have any advice on how to break him of this terrible habit?

BTW, we have found another rescue schnauzer who is also 2 yrs old at another place close by. Do you think a companion would be good for him and possibly help with the running away problem? We've never had 2 dogs before and were just wondering if they would be good for each other or just make more trouble. Thx for any help you can give us.

Comments (16)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor