SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
phoggie_gw

Will I ever get well again?

phoggie
10 years ago

On Dec. 28, I felt a "pop" in my back going down my butt and leg...The next month, the pain grew worse...a friend of mine took me to jer chiropractor for two months, did epidurals...all for nothing as the pain grew worse!

Then one week-end when my DD was here, I lost my ability to urinate. She finally got a call through to my PCP's nurse and she said to get me to the ER immediately. After I got there, they put in a catheter and did a MRI. The ER doctor came and asked me what neurosurgeon did I want! The next day, I was to see the surgeon and he immeditely admitted me to the hospital and was put down as emergency surgery...after two days, I had lumbar back surgery at 7 pm.

Fast forward to today...The catheter caused me to have an UTI, that I have had 5 different meds and a week of injections to cure, but none of them have worked! I have such terrible, terrible pain in my thigh area!! After all of this time, I am still dragging my walker around and getting so depressed thinking this might be as good s it gets. I have had three joint replacements and they were a piece of cake compared to this! My incision has never been a problem, and I think the back itself is healing okay.

Is there anyone who has had back surgery and experienced this terrible pain in your leg? Since I can not drive yet, I have had to rely on someone to tahe me to the hospital and doctors visits. I am so tired of being in so much pain and am searching to any remedy I can find. Thanks for anymand all information.

Comments (26)

• phoggie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I see the post was made before I got corrections made...sorry.

• phoggie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I see the post was made before I got corrections made...sorry.

• Related Discussions

When will we ever get rain again in upstate SC?

Q

Comments (1)
    we are pretty dry here in western NC too!
    ...See More

Will I ever see her again its 4 years since my grandmother died

Q

Comments (4)
    I'm so sorry for you. Please know that your grandmother absolutely is in your life. She's with you, always. You might dream; probably feel her around -- she is! The only thing I can say to substantiate this is -- I know! and will never deviate from my observation and belief because of my own experiences. She has gone on to a really good place, and you are in her thoughts and well wishes. Open up your heart to her and know that she does bring love, I'm absolutely certain.
    ...See More

If I ever add hot peppers to my canning again I hopesomeone slaps my

Q

Comments (6)
    I'm a wuss, I like a little heat but I don't want the enamel on my teeth to bubble. My husband has already completely burned off all his taste buds, so the hotter the better for him, LOL. That said, I don't want hot peppers in everything. I love Linda Lou's sweet pickles and my Grandma's sweet relish and would never consider adding hot peppers of any kind. I'll often make two batches of dill pickles, one with hot peppers for the hubs and one plain for my Grandson. I love a bit of Habanero Gold on a bagel with cream cheese but wouldn't add hot peppers to strawberry or grape. I do have about a dozen jars of pickled jalapenos that will probably get dumped out this year, they're a couple of years old and no one eats them at all, on anything. Annie
    ...See More

Well, I got em again!

Q

Comments (27)
    Pretty funny Irina. I hope to one day have a grip on growing these plants. I don't know that Ill live long enough to get to the point where you and a few others are here. Just like my little old grandma friend says when I start to think I know something about these. She says "I may have taught you everything you know but I didn't teach you everything I know." Still a long way to go!
    ...See More
  • Pieonear
    10 years ago

Sure sorry to hear how sick you've been, Phoggie. I hope you get some relief soon.

• Terri_PacNW
    10 years ago

Is it possible you have an infection in your leg or even a blood clot?
    I'd be complaining very loudly about your thigh!

• glenda_al
    10 years ago

Friend is having unbearable pain down her leg, and finally changed doctors, and is scheduled for surgery this week.

Best thoughts for you!

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    10 years ago

I would definitely consider a blood clot and seek medical advice on that pain. Any surgery can result in blood clots which is a critical situation.

• dedtired
    10 years ago

Oh Phoggie, I am so, so sorry that you are going through this now. I do hope you find an answer soon. I wish I could give you some good advice, but I have never had anything like that. I did have terrible sciatica from a bulging disc in my back, but lying on my back for a couple weeks fixed it.

Hang in there and do not lose hope. So glad the back surgery helped and perhaps the thigh pain will gradually recede.

• colleenoz
    10 years ago

For the UTI, ask your Dr if cranberry juice or tablets will interfere with any of the medications you are on. I find it very helpful for UTIs.

• alisande
    10 years ago

What an ordeal! Like some of the others, I urge you to seek attention for the pain in your thigh. Keep us posted. I hope you feel better soon.

• pudgeder
    10 years ago

Sending good thoughts for you Phoggie!

• nanny98
    10 years ago

Hope you have that pain checked out and feel better very soon! Nanny

• chisue
    10 years ago

Sorry that I can't offer any ideas. The only time I couldn't urinate I had a kidney stone -- one that took days to pass. I can't imagine something like that could cause "referred pain" in your *thigh*! I think Raven's suggestion about a blood clot is indeed likely.

• sylviatexas1
    10 years ago

Stop fretting, & call your doctor *now*!

It sounds like referred pain to me, but it could be something, as someone said, like a clot, which won't get better;
    it'll just stay there & hurt, or, if it stops hurting, that means it's broken loose & it's on the move...
    like to your heart or your brain.

Put those docs to work, pronto!

• oldfixer
    10 years ago

Nag them doctors to death, or get another one. Any situation cauing uncomfort is disturbing to a patient, when they can't find out why.

• phoggie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for all of the good wishes. Oh you can believe, I have seen doctors...several of them...PCP, urologist, neurosurgeon...will do another MRI next week to see if surgeon missed something.

The pain is constant but it is the worst when I get up...I actually scream because the pain is so bad. After I sit in a chair and give my leg a real rubbing and stretching, it gives up some. I do not have any red/hot areas, just puffy places where the pain is worst.

I have had 5 different antibiotics and a shot every day for a week for my UTI and now on another antibiotic for 10 days. I went to neurologist for the first time Friday and I was so disappointed with him....did not find out a thing!

I have searched the net and have found some info regarding leg pain from spinal stenosis, but I had hoped someone here might have first-handed information regarding this.

• yayagal
    10 years ago

I've had three back surgeries and they relieved the back pain but I was left with the sciatica pain down my leg. Yes the same surge of pain when I got out of bed. Long long story short, it was my facet joint so I had 3 facet joint ligations called RFL. First one lasted a year, second six months and the last one about 8 months and no pain but then again,it came back and I heard about a Dr. John Sarno. I got his book and did what he said and haven't had the pain since. Essentially what he says is that, when we experience back pain, we tense up and the brain receives a message from the tense muscles that pain is involved. As I'm sure you know all pain comes from the brain so you can fool it easily. When you feel pain take deep breaths and relax like you don't have a care in the world. Keep reinforcing to yourself that you have no pain even though you do. Then the brain won't send out a pain message. I know it sounds crazy but it's works. Good luck, don't give up hope. I was so bad I couldn't drive for two years and had to lie down in cars as I couldn't sit with the pain. To me, yours sounds like the facet joint pain.

• chisue
    10 years ago

The relaxation treatment Yayagal describes works for anxiety, too. It takes a while to create new 'pathways' in your brain -- to 're-train' it. At least this gives you some control, and a break from experiencing some of the worst of the pain -- or anxiety.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    10 years ago

Sounds like it could be sciatic problems since different positions involving your legs are causing pain.

Have they prescribed any physical therapy? Best thing since sliced bread if you find a good match with your therapist. I am drug and pain free since PT.

Best wishes for healing! Yes, you will get well again. I'm sure of it.

• Sue_va
    10 years ago

Phoggie, wow, a double whammy!

Do you remember a while back there were a couple threads that you and I, and others posted on abut sciatica, spinal surgery, etc?

I made the comment in one of them that you and I are in the same boat, but now that has changed for both of us. I haven't had the urinary problems, or any lumbar surgery. This will be a reminder/update on me, some of which I have posted bits and pieces of:

Long story short. Because I fell, I ended up in the ER, followed by one day in the hospital. Chest scan showed blood clots in my lungs, Large one on the left, smaller ones on the right. I was put on Coumadin, which caused a hemorrhage in my kidney/s. The worst part is now I'm on a walker, and have the Lifeline thingie around my neck. Coumadin dose was lowered. Urology doc wanted another scan, after which he suggested doing a bladder scope, in case there might be cancer there. I have decided not to do that. My left leg is larger than my right leg and is painful; my right hip hurts if I sit too long, but I can tolerate both. I've said all that because I believe those who mentioned blood clots are on the right track. I made many, many trips to the lab and still going every 3 weeks to check on my blood levels. I learned about INR, which I had never heard of before.

Talk to your primary doctor about the possibility of blood clots and consider what to do next.

I hope you can get on a good path soon, and you and I will be rowing the same boat. It is doable.

Sue

• phoggie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the replies. Yayagal...how interesting...and I definitely do tense my entire body when these terribly sharp pains hit...I actually scream! I have had three replacements and some other surgeries, but have never experienced any pain like the ones I am having now. I just hate to wake up and know I need to get up and use the potty because I know the pain will consume my entire area from back-hip-leg! This "getting up" pain is relatively new...laying down was repreve, but not now. But I will try anything at this point...so I will do my best to relax.

Rob333...I did in home PT while I had Home Health Care and will start going to the facility on Thursday...hope that will help.

Thanks for the assurance that this pain will leave and I can not wait to be better!!!!! Have you had a similar back surgery?

• sleeperblues
    10 years ago

I would get myself to a reputable pain clinic with an anesthesiologist who does facet joint blocks, because I think YaYa is on to something. The pain in your leg does not sound like blood clots to me, but nerve pain. It's a minor procedure and can be done without sedation, and I would at least give it a try. Good luck.

• yayagal
    10 years ago

Phoggie, the facet joint ligation is done in 20 minutes. You lie on your stomach on a table like a massage table with a hole for your face. The dr. numbs your back and puts a tiny needle in and then touches the different nerves to locate the one causing the pain. When he does you'll feel a short sharp pain and you tell him that it hurt. He or she will then burn the nerve out with laser but not all of it. You get up and go home. Some places give a pain med, mine didn't. You don't feel the never being lased and there's no residual pain. You ice it for a few days and, if it works, the pain disappears. Google RFL, radio frequency ligation.

• sleeperblues
    10 years ago

You could try this before RFL. It's a quick video that explains facet joint injections.

Here is a link that might be useful: facet joint injections

• joyfulguy
    10 years ago

I hope that you can get a good diagnosis and some treatment that will bring relief, soon, Phoggie.

ole joyful

• kacram
    10 years ago

I'm so very sorry, Phoggie. Wish I had some advice!
    \

• joyfulguy
    10 years ago

Anyone heard how Phoggie is doing?

ole joyful