SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rouge21_gw

Never, ever again will I plant a buddleia

rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a)
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I have had the perennial gardening bug for now 9 years. In that time I probably have planted maybe...8 "Butterfly Bushes" (all of them the more compact versions). In my garden today I have no BB. I am embarrassed to admit that I have never been able to overwinter this plant past 2 seasons and the majority don't make it through the first winter. As you might imagine I have done everything possible to make it live but w/o success.

• I acquire one as early as possible from the nursery to give it time to establish itself in the garden. I plant them in full sun and in a well drained location. In fact I have had some very nice specimens by late July...with tons of blooms. (That has got me thinking that maybe I could just treat it as an annual and plant it in a container).
  • I never cut them back in the Fall and in the spring only when I see green growth
  • In the late Fall I will mulch heavily. I have tried using leaves and evergreen branches and burlap and...

Just this past weekend I pulled out two "Pink Micro Chips". One of them was planted two seasons ago the other just last year (a replacement for a previous PMC failure). To be honest one of them actually had some green growth. I could see it clearly with my magnifying glass.

(At least with their removal I freed up space for more Phlox P.)

I didn't just "fall off the turnip truck" when it comes to such matters but I admit defeat. But in my neck of the woods every nursery carries these plants. There's got to be rampant BBDs every spring (Butterfly Bush Deaths).

The other plant that is like this for me is Kniphofia. I love these plants and so many of you have wonderful plantings but again I can't get them to go beyond a couple of seasons...tops.

Please don't reply with your tips that have helped you keep your B Bushes thriving for 10 years or more as I must make a clean break.

Instead I might like to hear of those plants that you love but have difficulty keeping alive. Misery loves company.

Comments (67)