SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cyberchic26

Choosing a Water Softening System

cyberchic26
13 years ago

Hi all,

I need some advice on a water softning system. We have a 20 yr old culligan mark 89 that needs to be replaced.

our water tested as follws:

ph 6.5

hardness 153.9 mg/l

iron 12.0 mg/l -clear water, iron shows up after water reaches the air

TDS 230mg/l

manganese .20 mg/l

we have had a bunch of people come out and test and give us estimates. Ecowater, culligan and a well guy.

They advised us as follows:

ecowater - greensand filter and water softner. $3800 - he measured the iron at 28 mg/l and we dont believe this test because we have had it tested at least 10 times and 2 recently and it has NEVER been this high.

He doesnt want to do the work if we dont get the greensand filter.

culligan - 2300 for the SM61 twin tank softner. he measured the water at 10.4 mg/l iron and mentioned nothing about the ph like the schpiel the ecosystems guy went into.

well guy wants to do an aqua-nue 2000 filter followed by a FES032 ironsoft unit for $3800.

I emailed Kinetico installer this morning.

I really dont want all these tanks in my basement. and all these filters to replace. I just want a water sofner that will remove the iron, we also have a reverse osmosis (culligan) that we use for drinking, cooking. I feel like they are all thrying to baffle us with BS none of them give the amount of iron their equipment can remove, etc. its like dealing with used car saleman.

anyone have any advice or info on this?

Comments (7)