SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jimmyrmcl

Gas leak or normal?

jimmyrmcl
17 years ago

I recently had some older gas fittings replaced with the new flexible gas lines for my stove by a plumber after intermittedley smelling a faint gas smell for a few months. (It became more noticeable as it got colder, but still faint). The gas company noticed the out-of-date fittings, pulled them and capped the line at the stove and did a pressure test at the meter and determined there was no leak. The gas stove was a new addition to the home before we moved in and as a result the wall behind the stove area which feeds into a small closet in the living room had a 12 inch by 12 inch hole cut out so the line could be accessed if need be. It's been about 4-6 weeks since the plumber was out and when it gets colder, I notice the faint smell of gas every once in a while. It is by no means strong and comes and goes, pretty much like it did before we updated the fittings. I guess my question is, is it normal for a small amount of gas to pool around those connection areas. I'm thinking if that hole wasn't cut out for access to that area, then I wouldn't even be smelling what I smell. Any insight or similar experiences would be helpful.

Comments (8)