SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
capron09

Help with newly adopted/rescued Shih Tzu

Capron09
11 years ago

Hello everyone! I really need some help with my Lady Bug! The local pound had a approx 2yr old Female Shih Tzu up for adoption and we jumped on making her part of our family. My husband and I think she is probably JUST a year old. We brought her home and she has been here two full days now which is not very long. The first day she did NOTHING but squat all over my carpet. Nothing was coming out to maybe a tiny tinkle. Then today she didn't do it at all, well maybe once or twice but this evening she has done it 20 times! Since we have no idea what this little girls background is we can only assume she is potty trained. We did notice last night some blood on the tile...go figure she is in HEAT! There is NO blood in her urine and her urine is dark yellow. I assume she may be a bit dehydrated from the the pound and being lost. I do have a 6 month old male chocolate lab so there is a lot of keeping them separate going on right now.

I didn't want the pound to spay her with the 4th being right around the corner and I didn't want it to interfere with her recuperation. Then I saw she was in heat and I don't know if she JUST started it or if she has been on it. The pound didn't notify us so I assume they didn't know either or she just started because it is red and not pink. So I don't know if she has a bladder infection, if it is just her heat cycle, if she isn't potty trained? I don't know what her deal is. Could this be her first heat maybe and she has no idea whats going on? She pees on pee pads no problem pretty much. She never pees in the same spot so I don't think she is marking. I don't know.. any ideas! I take her out before bed and she sleeps through the night for about 8-10 hours and when she wakes up I get her out right away. We walk for what seems 2-3 laps around my large yard and she doesn't even pee! What kind of dog holds it all night and doesn't pee in the AM? I bring her in and she waits a good minute then tinkles on the carpet. Shes a small dog but these pee spots are teeny. I am really lost. Happy I adopted her but kind of thinking that maybe with such a picky type of dog I should not have adopted one from a shelter where we have no idea about her background. What if her old people just let her pee in the house and fed her wet food because she doesn't like dry food and we have no idea so is it going to be impossible to break those habits? We are still going to stick it in with her. I adopted her IM not giving her back and she is scheduled for her spay for July 10th so don't freak out. Shes getting spayed!

Comments (6)