SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
julieschurchill

Adopting a Shih Tzu

Jaschu
6 years ago

Hi, I'm looking for a bit of advice regarding possibly adopting a Shih Tzu. For the longest time I had planned to adopt one through a rescue who had been vetted and had a bit of "home training". However, an acquaintance of mine has decided to rehome her 5 year old male and intact pure bred Shih Tzu. Obviously I want him but there are a couple of concerns. This person had a baby 6 months ago and the little guy (the dog, not the baby) has been relegated to their garage. From what I've been told he is not housebroken and he's quite stubborn.

If I take him I plan on taking him straight to the vet to get him neutered. I know that will help, somewhat, with marking in the house long term. I don't know what else to do though to set ourselves up for success. I work full time and have two cats at home who rule my house. I've wanted a Shih Tzu for so long because I'm used to cats and, let's face it, they are very much like cats.

I looked into an in residence board and train program but it will cost almost $1200 for two weeks of training. Expensive but, I can see the value in it if it works. However, the owner said he would like me to keep the dog in my house for at least 3 weeks post adoption before bringing him and that's assuming he's a good fit for the program. So my question is, if I adopt him and the in residence board and train program doesn't work, do I have any options? If the board and train program is a good fit for him what do I do with him during the 3 week wait? Do I just deal with chaos? Would a once per week formal training and evening reinforcements be of any benefit to a 5 year old dog? Is there something out there that I haven't thought of? I want to set us up for success but I just don't have a clue what to do with him post neuter.

Comments (17)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH