SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
netla

Foodie Xmas presents: here are mine, what were yours?

netla
16 years ago

I knew I was getting a coffee/spice grinder, but I definitely didn't expect the ice cream machine, given to me by my best friend. I also got a little kitchen gadget called an alligator that is supposed to be used for cubing onions and vegetables. I haven't tested it, but I expect it will come in handy. Finally I got an Italian cookbook, the same book that I got for the giver. We had a good laugh about that.

So, what nice foodie presents did you get?

Comments (79)

• maggie2094
    16 years ago

Thanks, Fenworth!

I will, Woodie:)

• beanthere_dunthat
    16 years ago

The ferris wheel thing isn't as big as I imagind either. I can't say I'd want it on my counter either, though. Then again, I'm alwys trying to get things OFF the counter.

• Related Discussions

Here's mine, let's see yours

Q

Comments (51)
    I had one before and didn't appreciate it. i let it winterkill, and then this time when i thought about getting one, I couldn't find any. i had to go across the state for some reason and ended up finding one there. Now this one is treasured lol. I think the leaves on my plants will look better this next season. They were brown and partially killed from shipping stress-- it was over 100 when they were all shipped and they cooked in boxes. In the doorway I do have my giant philodendron-- P. bipinnatifidum. It's about 6ft across and 5ft tall. It does well there in the living room, and that to me is a decent indication of my light. It only gets light from outside of any decent measure, and it's grown in size since it has been there.I thought about putting it out on the balcony, but then I got too many other interesting things to really go along with that idea :P Plus moving it sucks. I am not happy with my sempervivums. They are doing fine and even multiplying, but I think I may move them elsewhere and tuck them into planters. This would give me a whole new empty pot to be filled with something different. I may put my tuberous begonias in there instead of putting them in my hanging baskets. Or maybe I'll put an alpine strawberry in there. That sounds even better!
    ...See More

Your favorite citrus pic past or present

Q

Comments (33)
    This is it's third winter in the ground. The previous low was 14 degrees and it did fine. This winter has been different in that we've had extended periods of below freezing temps. It's 28 degrees here now and tomorrow's high is not expected to break 30. This is the "big one" we've been expecting for years. Guess we'll see what comes through. Ironically, I have a grafted key lime on the unheated front porch that is throwing out a new flush, and it only gets up to about 50 degrees out there on a sunny day.
    ...See More

early xmas present brighamia insignis

Q

Comments (5)
    It is hard to tell from that picture since there isn't much for scale, but that looks like a pretty hefty Brighamia! Great present! I've only had mine for a few months now, but it just started putting out a flush of leaves after a really full set of blooms. In habitat, they grow all year, flowering in winter. If you can provide them with warmth, you can grow them all year in your collection too. I brought mine inside after the first round of rain last week. I don't mind it being wet, but with our cooler temperatures, I didn't want it to go dormant. I'm hoping to get it back outside after out current round of rain lets up. Like Mike said, they can be spider mite magnets. I talked to a few people experienced with this species, and they've all said the same thing. Always water these overhead, being sure to soak the growing point. I guess spider mites prefer not to take baths... Congrats again Joe! Be sure to post some more pictures when you get it potted up. Next year, when yours blooms, be sure to smell the flowers! They're lovely !
    ...See More

Show your Xmas Trees/Decorations Here!! :)

Q

Comments (1309)
    Hi everyone, I am looking forward to the new thread with great anticipation. I'd love for this one to go on but a couple of times during the year I tried repeatedly to go back and read this from the beginning. For some reason which probably has to do with how many posts it has, I cannot. I do click the "See 1250 more comments" link at the top and if I wait long enough I can eventually get back to the beginning number but the posts themselves do not go back. I am still stuck here regardless of how long I wait. What a shame! I'd love to be able to see the 2018 decorations. Sadly, I am in transition this year, living in a studio until my new place is ready with most of my stuff in storage. I did keep out a few faux pumpkins that I have out at home and in the office plus one table top 2-foot flocked tree. The latter reminds me that I really, really want to live in the Pacific Northwest as soon as I retire. All that rain! All that cold! I can hardly wait. Anyway, I have decorations for the little tree but they are in storage so I may buy some small ones at the the thrift store. Or not. I do have this photo that intrigues me and not just because of the color but because I am finding the idea of lots of silk ribbons (http://ribbonbazaar.com/ribbon/double-faced-satin&s=157&c=2423?ctag=R5jX4zKb&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI9bnMjb-S5QIVGMJkCh1NnQRjEAQYASABEgJJo_D_BwE) simply tied on the tree intriguing and wonderful. At my office, I keep a pretty dried wreath and a faux green tree as well. I'll bring it out the Wednesday before Thanksgiving as I take that Monday after off and want it up when I return on Tuesday. It has small emerald ball ornaments on it. But the truth is I'll miss my red tree and ornaments and my tiny forest.
    ...See More
  • User
    16 years ago

Michelle

My youngest does not sew, which makes her gift all the more precious :) I love whatever gifts my children have made me over the years and display them proudly.

• Virginia7074
    16 years ago

Hmmm - OK - my neighbors gave us some homemade rum balls and German spice bars and we got a box of See's chocolates.. Other than that, nothing else food-related. Oh - DD gave DH a wine opener and he proclaimed it "excellent." I need a new pepper grinder; had to resort to crushing peppercorns in a mortar and pestle the other day. Need to make a run to Penzey's.

Lucy, the creme brulee kit is a good gift. DH bought ramekins last Thanksgiving and after he used a plumber's torch to flame pumpkin creme brulee, I persuaded him to get a proper kitchen torch. Plumber's torch goes hand-in-hand with a fire extinguisher, if you ask me.

Wish I liked tea, Maggie2094, as that tea pot is a pretty one.

My grandma used to have one of those pusher-upper measuring cups. Several years ago, I got a freebie one from Sunshine and it always reminds me of grandma. She also used to measure shortening by dropping it into water. If it was a 2-cup measure and a cup of water was displaced, she knew she had a cup of shortening.

Ohiomom, I'll bet that apron turns out to be the best apron ever!

• donnar57
    16 years ago

Thanks for starting this FUN thread! I love reading what everyone got for Christmas!

With the new kitchen and family room, hubby and I agreed not to spend too much on each other, but concentrated on our almost-ready-to-move-out "kids". But my Christmas was soooo kitchen oriented!

Lots of new dishtowels! YAY!
    New set of knives in a woodblock
    a LOVELY cookbook rack that will have a place on my counter
    some new utensils for the utility bucket

DD#2, an artist, took a bare wooden file box from Michael's and painted it to match my Corelle set...including the fruit! I had jokingly bought the box for her last fall and said, "Here, paint this in Abundance and you can give it to me for Christmas." She took me at my word and surprised me with it. It's GORGEOUS and that's not just prejudiced Mommy speaking. I was able to put all of my recipe cards in it, and there's still room for more. Evidently my husband couldn't figure out why the gravy boat and the spoon rest kept disappearing into DD#2's bedroom.....she was using them to copy the fruit! Like Ohiomom, I love my children's handmade gifts as well.

DonnaR/CA

• beachlily z9a
    16 years ago

Mustangs, I use just about the same system as you do. I was instantly intrigued by the ferris wheel, but regained sanity instantly. How could I be limited to 20 spices??

• Terri_PacNW
    16 years ago

I got a breakfast set from my husband..again...we don't exchange gifts..and I followed that rule..but he NEVER does..so this year..I found a little suprise for him...

It's cute I took a picture, but need to load it up.
    I've been enjoying the mug for tea.

Maggie, I love that wine label.

• Daisyduckworth
    16 years ago

Just as a little extra something, my son and DIL gave me a packet each of Mountain Pepper and ground Pepperberries - both native Australian herbs, very hard to get.

• lucyny
    16 years ago

Michelle,
    To answer your question, no my creme brulee set didn't come with the wire rings, a good idea, I'll be fine w/o it.

I ended up receiving two creme brulee sets, requested one & the other came unexpectedly & they're exactly the same, what are the odds. This actually works better for me, as each set comes w/4 oval ramekins. A set of eight works & 2 torches even better...

Lucy

• msazadi
    16 years ago

I only got one food related gift...tho our two new Macs certainly get involved in food preparation! That purchase was a major one.

But from my former workmate...(with a little creative editing) I have 10 spoons, which tells me I need to have a good appetizer to take to her!

Oh, I forgot...I bought myself a bottle of Darioush EVOO in CA. That's the oil I tasted as a shot. >:-0

• Lisa Hayes
    16 years ago

I got an extra bowl for my KitchenAid.

• BeverlyAL
    16 years ago

Cathy, too bad about that Ferris Wheel. : ( I wouldn't want it either and it was pretty pricy so you will have to display it a while then move it to the pantry perhaps.

My DH gave me a Kyocera knife because that is what I asked for. We haven't had Christmas with our families yet, so I haven't got to use it. What my DH did go ahead and give me and it was a shock and something I really don't care about, but heaven help me what was I to do - a pair of diamond stud earrings. Now if he could have afforded a couple of karats each that would have been different. LOL I really do appreciate them and think he's very sweet, but I can't wait to get that knife!

Beverly

• annie1992
    16 years ago

My girls went together and bought me a Cuisinart ice cream maker. I've already made two batches of frozen yogurt, one strawberry and one sweet cherry with dark chocolate gratings. It's fun to play with.

LOL, Beverly, I have a pair of those diamond studs.....somewhere. They were also a gift (from my mother) and I was afraid I'd lose one or both so I put them safely away. Since I just about never wear jewelry, I've forgotten where I put them, LOL, but they're very safe. Somewhere.

Cathy, I have a "system" too. I take all my spices and throw them into a drawer. When I want one, I rummage around for it. I ought to let you arrange them!

Annie

• vicki_lv_nv
    16 years ago

Let's see:

I got the can opener attachment for my KitchenAid mixer. I am not sure I will like it. It isn't attractive sitting on the front of the mixer. Seems like a pain to have to get it out, unscrew the medallion, tighten it back up after putting the can opener on...then use the can opener. Then, reverse the above. Hmmmmmmm, maybe I am just weird.

I got a 4 slice KitchenAid toaster...cobalt blue to match the mixer.

Two clips that you clip onto the rim of a pan, to hold your spoon.

A Bunn coffee maker with a stainless carafe. NICE!!

• chase_gw
    16 years ago

This was a 'foodie" Christmas for me. Just about everything I got was food related.

A Panini Press
    Brand new coffe maker for the cottage (from Chris' GF)
    Subscription to BA
    Fancy dancy "motor boat" whirler thingy with mini blender and mini food processor attachments
    A bunch of silicone cooking stuff, muffin "tins", loaf pan, brush, and mat
    Hot plate with two stainless steel covered serving dishes
    In my stocking, stacking measuring spoons and mini spatulas

Now all I need is a new kitchen with more storage! LOL

• fenworth
    16 years ago

Lucy - Suggestion: make one of the torches a dedicated candle lighter. I know of no better way to light a stubborn short wick, or light candles deep down in a hurricane, Yankee Candle jar, etc. without burning yourself or using several fireplace matches.

• lucyny
    16 years ago

Fenworth, Great Idea!!

Thanks,
    Lucy

• shaun
    16 years ago

Msazadi what a pretty picture!

• woodie
    16 years ago

Annie, if you ever find those studs you can just send them my way, they will be well used :)
    I just love anything sparkly!

• mrsmarv
    16 years ago

A Cuisinart immersion blender from Mrs. Claus was under the tree for me.

• bookmom41
    16 years ago

Coming out of hiding to add--the children "got" DH a Whirly Pop which we broke in last night--terrific popcorn. In my stocking was a nutmeg grater, file-shaped microplane grater and regular microplane grater. (overkill but hey, all gifts.)
    At one Yankee auction, I ended up with New Hope Mills pancake mix and LL Bean maple syrup and from another, I left with 2 dz of a cousin's delicious yeast dinner rolls. Cookies from neighbors and my mom, with my new favorite being my mother's beautiful Neopolitan cookies, and a bottle of Spanish Sierra Cantabria Rioja waiting to be opened on New Year's Eve. The kids and DH always get chocolate from a local candy maker, Glaubers, in their stockings. Gee, I wonder why my jeans feel too tight?

• compumom
    16 years ago

As I said on another thread, DH and I skipped exchanging gifts this season as we just bought a 75 gallon hot water heater, recirculating pump and all new bedding from Restoration for our bed.
    However my gifts from work included a cute snowman tower of white chocolate covered pretzels and peppermint taffy, a bottle of wine from someone who drinks fine wine and Ferrer-Roche chocolates which won't get touched by me.And dad gave me Food and Wine's compilation cookbook from last year. It's nicely done, but not many recipes that I would use.
    Cathy- maybe tell her that you use spices in smaller jars so that they're always fresh. Then show her the little jars in your drawer! ;-p

• femmelady
    16 years ago

Great gifts everyone! I don't know though - that Ferris wheel looks pretty big to me at 1 square foot. That's sizeable. Maybe show your friend your system, explain and see if you could have a girls day out and exchange it, and then go for dessert somewhere. Or, put it on your counter and slowly move it toward the edge and then one day - "I don't know what happened! I was watering my plants and I ... broke your lamp". Just kidding! But the pantry might be nice.

My sweet husband replaced a 20 year old butter dish I've had since my 20's (when I went broke buying a 12 place setting of Noritake Conservatory) that we use every day. I was so sad when I dropped the butter dish this year (actually it came tumbling out of the fridge where it had been left in a very precarious down hill ski slope position by SOMEONE), and there it was from replacements limited in perfect condition...

He also added to my copper collection with this stunning Ruffoni Hammered sauce pot!
    {{!gwi}}
    ,and a Harry and David Honey Pot! (This is not my photo but is the actual pot)...
    {{!gwi}}

All in all, a great foodie Christmas. Plus, he received the latest All Clad French Skillet, All Clad set of 4 fine mesh strainers, 2 beautiful porcelain rectangle servings trays, a Chef's Choice meat slicer, and a martini travel bar, plus a few other choice items. His birthday is on Christmas so he gets double the pleasure and double the fun! Later I'll post a pic of the white chocolate Buche de Noel I did for his birthday cake. It was divine with hazelnut genoise, pastry cream filling, white chocolate ganache, French buttercream and meringue mushrooms!

• msazadi
    16 years ago

I like that honeypot!! very attractive!

Shaun, I'm having a lot of fun playing with the 'edit' feature now free with flickr until I get my photo software on the new Mac. I'm gonna make a ty card for Judy with that edited shot. ;-)

• nanabelle
    16 years ago

femmelady: Love your gifts. They are beautiful!

First, I gave to my 16 year old Grandson a homemade Carrot Cake as one of his presents. He told me a while back that he loves Carrot Cake and eats a piece every day at High School. (I knew I couldn't lose against a store bought type) So, I baked him a 3 layer cake, put it in a box and told him it was for him. He took it right to his room. His Mom told him if he brought it out and ate it in front of people at the family gathering, he would have to share it, so it went into the Fridge. (that's Ok because I brought a pumpkin angel cake for the family to eat)

My hubby bought me a KitchenAid 12 cup chrome food processor with a wide mouth and 6 cup popover pans which have still not arrived. Also he bought me a wooden salad bowl set. This is the first Christmas that he's not gotten me personal items. I specifically wanted these things and now have them. Thank you, DH!

DS and DIL gave me a Rotato. It is a potato peeler apparatus. It doesn't work and some of the parts are broken so I will have to call their customer service. It says it will peel oranges, apples, cucumbers, etc., but unfortunately it doesn't.

My DH and I were deluged with food gifts this year and we were both down with colds for part of the holiday season, so our Breakfast table is fully loaded, along with the fruit drawer in the Fridge. Lots of Harry and David fruit items. One large basket from my MIL from Wine Country gifts with mostly candies and cookies.

I sent us 3 jars of Harry and David Pepper Relish which is so good as a spread with cream cheese.

A very dear Italian friend of my DH gave us his famous homemade Spaghetti sauce which he makes in great volume every Christmas from a family secret recipe. Considering that just about 4 months ago he went through a liver transplant and almost didn't make it, this is an especially dear gift.

We are very blessed.

• msafirstein
    16 years ago

OH..femmelady, your hammered copper pot and honey pot are both just gorgeous! What wonderful gifts!

Maureen, the picture is so cute. I didn't know that flickr had an editing feature! You'd think I'd know, I've been a customer of theirs for some time now...DUH!

Twinke, Sounds like you had a very memorable Christmas and I don't blame your GS for keeping his cake private! What's a pumpkin angel cake?

Michelle

• sands99
    16 years ago

I totally hit the mother lode this year with foodie gifts! I got two stick blenders [one from my boss who loves all my soups! and one from my family], an 11 cup Custom Stainless Cuisinart Food Processsor [with a bunch of awesome bonuses including a pizza pan], a calphalon wok, and an electric buffet server that holds 3 half steam trays. You think they all want me to cook or what??

On the other end of the spectrum [chief cook to diva] I got a stunning 2 ct cushion cut heart shaped amethyst framed in diamonds floating in a diamond frame with a twisted diaond bale [very romantic] and a 3 stone diamond white gold pendant with the 3 stones nestled in a downward curl like the ribbon curls I had on the living room Christmas tree [very contemporary].

I feel very blessed to get these delightful gifts but I was a very good girl. I hosted dh's family [17] on Sunday and catered for my family on Tuesday. I think i overdid it because I was really sick all the past week and change from working so hard [i guess] and possibly from taking care of my 12 yr old who had pneumonia the week before [he's ok now].

I hope everyone had a great Holiday!!

• steelmagnolia2007
    16 years ago

Since my children are young adults still struggling to get established (and 2 recently married), I worked hard to come up with some suggestions for things I really wanted but that they could afford. Since I was down to one very fuzzy-tipped wooden spoon, every time somebody asked, "Mama, what do you want?", wooden spoons would be one of the responses. Well, as you probably can guess, on Christmas morning I received almost a dozen. I think they were initially a little upset, since their gifts didn't seem very special because there were so many of them. But some were big, some were little, some had deep bowls, some were almost flat, 1 was slotted... omg, I loved every single one! And after we ate, I marched them all into the kitchen to see that only 2 were still left in the utensil holder. The rest were in the dishwasher! It was just heavenly to be able to grab a clean one every time I needed it. :) And they saw that they'd given me something I really wanted and would use.

Along with one batch of wooden spoons, I got a knife that's so big and so sharp I'm a little intimidated, plus a great sharpener. Another was wrapped up with a fab vegetable steamer. And the third package included a great whisk (another thing I needed more of!) and a microplane that does
    a completely different 'grate' from the one I have. Love it!

Their other gifts were all personal and wonderfully thoughtful. But one of those unexpectedly turned out to be the most blessedly 'kitchen-related' of all! My brand-new DIL gave me a pair of "Crocs" -- you know, those rubber shoe thingies. Oh. My. Gosh. For the first time in memory, my feet didn't hurt so bad I wanted to cry. After hours and hours in the kitchen, I wasn't even limping. It was the most wonderful gift evah!!!

• mustangs81
    16 years ago

Magnolia, That is a thoughtful strategy. I'm glad that it turn out so well for everyone.

I hope your crocs are red!

• steelmagnolia2007
    16 years ago

lol, mustangs. The two colors I love above all others are red and black. In this case, my DDIL took the conservative approach and chose black so I wouldn't look like an elderly Dorothy if I wore my crocs out in public. :)

• woodie
    16 years ago

Hey Steelmagnolia, you go girl! I have black crocs to go with my black pants in the winter and beige to go with my khakis the rest of the year - I wear them constantly - I would actually sleep in them if Ken wouldn't object :)

(I also have a lime green pair which I wear occasionally :)

BTW - I used your balsamic ham glaze on Christmas Eve and it was fabulous!

• lynnalexandra
    16 years ago

Magnolia - you've made me rethink trying those crocs. I'm so used to finding most shoes very uncomfortable that I figured these would be pretty awful (although my 8yo daughter loves them). Maybe they'll be just the ticket for me too.

Femmelady - what a gorgeous pot. Wow.

Thanks to the earlier thread on what kitchen gifts do we want, I was able to think of a few things and put them on the list. So I got the Forschner 8inch chef knife (that cooks illustrated always rates highest)- before I only had a 10inch chef's knife and a santoku. I got an electric peppermill (a good one this time, I think). The other foodie gifts were surprises - a zyliss mandoline from my mother, a beautiful glass cheese board on a glass pedestal - with gorgeous silver and beaded cheese/pate knives, a gorgeous large red and orange platter (that matches our dining room and taste perfectly).

We also got 2 wine openers we didn't want or need (my husband likes his basic manual opener he got from a local winery).

As I've begun to cook, we've also recently begun to enjoy wine. So I got my husband a membership to a wine club in Sonoma - which will send 6 bottles in the spring and 6 in the fall. I bought 2 bottles now so we could try them now (we'll probably have one New Year's eve). It was a spur of the moment thing when a neighbor had recommended this winery's club.

Love2weed - I wish I'd thought about a second KA mixer bowl. That would be useful.

Happy Holidays.
    Lynn.

• msafirstein
    16 years ago

WOW sands you did clean up! Wonderful gifts and I know you will use them all!!

Magnolia, I am so jealous of all your wooden spoons. Soooooo, I ordered 3 more at Amazon yesterday. The flat tipped spoons are my favorite!

Also, could you post your Balsamic Ham Glaze recipe please. I love to bake ham and have not seen a Balsamic Glaze before. I'm pretty sure we will love it too.

Lynn, The wine club is a very nice gift and 6 bottles a year is just right.

Michelle

• cinlo
    16 years ago

Usually just a lurker or asking a question, but I was proud of the Henckel Twin Professional "S" knives my parents got me: 8" bread knife with cutting board, 8" carving knife, 7" carving fork; 3" hollow edge paring knife; 5" serrated utility knife; 8" slicing knife; free gift of stainless steel steak knives and a wooden trivet with a silicone hot pad; plus they got me an All -Clad 11" french skillet! My dad went a little crazy shopping on line, and he loves knives, too! Now I need a new knife block to hold them all!

• centralcacyclist
    16 years ago

Nothing fancy but needed. The handle fell off my 25 year old griddle pan. I replaced it with one from Target. It may last another 25 years.

Lovely gifts, everyone!

Here is a link that might be useful: Griddle pan.

• steelmagnolia2007
    16 years ago

Thanks for letting me know y'all enjoyed the ham glaze, woodie. Made my day! :) Hope you do, too, msafirstein.

Balsamic Ham Glaze

1 c. brown sugar, firmly-packed
    3 T. dijon mustard
    5 T. balsamic vinegar

Combine all ingredients and mix to form a smooth paste.

Score a half-ham (shank portion) and bake at 325 degrees for an hour and a half, then take it out and slather heavily with the glaze. Return to the oven for another half hour, basting with additional glaze every 10 minutes.

There's always some glaze left over, so I mix a little of it with the pan juices and serve on the side.

• craftyrn
    16 years ago

Well it was a "foodie" Christmas here too :

From DH--
    a pizzelle iron ( now I can try Lou's recipe )

& a tabletop wine opener

For Hubby from my oldest DD-- a new popcorn bowl

& a bottle of Green Label JD from GGS Caleb, & from me ( thx Annie for the recommendation-- he's very impressed with the info in it) the Charcuterie book.

From various family members & friends
    for me a gift certificate from a nursery where I always get my herb & veg starts

An Irish Coffee Set

( that cocoa/latte machine just found a new use-- some cold coffee, a little brown sugar & the St Brendan's )

a cut glass covered bowl

a new pepper grinder , set of pinch-smidgion etc measuring spoons , a strawberry jelly server & homemade Applebutter , an addition to my
    odd, blue teapot collection

A Christmas cookie jar

Christmas mugs

Marble cheese tray/server

Cool Touch electric griddle

Gift certificate for dinner @ Springside Inn

Gone before pictures were taken-- bottle of Dry Honey Mead, 4 different cookie trays, couple plates of homemade candies, # of homemade
    chocolate covered cashews & 2 huge lobster tails with 2 dz cherrystone clams.

• homesforsale
    16 years ago

Oh my gosh..

My friend Jain..spoiled me in Florida:) With Foodie items to last me a lifetime..I was over the moon.and still am.

I received a cute foodie ornament from a friend..and a fruitcake from another.
    I had to give it to Jacques:)I can't swallow bought fruitcake..I don't know why..:(

• Tasha
    16 years ago

Williams Sonoma Essentials of Italian.

My Christmas was mainly a scrapbooking Christmas! Well, and jewelry too.

• diana55
    16 years ago

....from my dear daughter. Diana55

• diana55
    16 years ago

....and a "Snow Cone Maker"......I think my daughter wanted this gift more than I did!!! LOL Diana55

• annie1992
    16 years ago

Diane, I knew Doc would love that book, I've used it often and it has a lot of very helpful information for anyone who wants to make sausage, pancetta, etc, but doesn't know exactly how to start.

Wow everyone got a lot of good stuff, Merry Christmas to all....

Annie

• scotland1
    16 years ago

A new fridge! The old one was too small for us now, especially the freezer. This one has tons of space, and is probably smarter than I am. If only the kids would stop pressing the buttons...

Here is a link that might be useful: The Samsung

• Tasha
    16 years ago

I forgot I got the French White baking set too!

• blizlady
    16 years ago

I didn't receive any foodie gifts, but I did give a couple of them. My daughter needed knives, so I purchased a set of Faberware in a butcher block - nothing too expensive but good for her needs. Plus I made several bottles of homemade Irish Cream to give to a couple of friends with a special label that I made up plus the recipe tied to the neck of the bottle

• lsr2002
    16 years ago

I've loved reading this thread - so many great things.

I received a wonderful Masala Dabba from my son and DIL with a spoon for each cup and a large capacity. I'm so happy not to have to search for all the spices used together in Indian dishes. You would understand if you saw how my spices are crammed here and there. Oh to have a whole divided drawer like Cathy's.

Max gave me the new Suvir Saran cookbook "American Masala". I've just begun to look at it and I'm looking forward to trying some new to me Indian dishes.

From my DIL's parents a fun bag of gourmet food items, sun dried tomatoes, jasmine rice in an airtight glass jar, a box of Gnocchi and much more.

And a gift that will go on giving - from my DIL"S brother, a bag of frozen homemade Gnocchi and a LESSON on how to make them. His Gnocchi are really wonderful, I'm so excited about learning to do it from him. He has a handmade board from his Grandfather - I hope that's not his secret to success because I can't get a board like that. I'll take my camera when I go to learn from him.

Lee

• mustangs81
    16 years ago

Lee, the Masala Dabba is fabulous and so appropriate given your interest Indian dishes. Sounds like your family knows you well.

• annie1992
    16 years ago

Lee, I have no idea what that is, but it's beautiful.

I'm off to google "masala dabba"......

Annie

• claire_de_luna
    16 years ago

I got some leather potholders which I love, so I got to throw away some that had seen better days. I already had a pair near my range, and wanted a pair for my wall oven, so that made me happy. These are the best kind I've ever had and always the first I grab.

I also got CI's International cookbook, which I'm looking through today for dinner tonight...

There are some fun gifts here!

Here is a link that might be useful: Leather potholders

• mustangs81
    16 years ago

Claire, they look great. I had to have the silicone potholders, got them, hate them. Too stiff, they are okay as trivets though.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!