joeplant

early xmas present brighamia insignis

joeplant
15 years ago

arrived yesterday,got it on ebay.

Comments (5)

• caudex1
    15 years ago

Looks like a nice one! You know these are winter growers?

• ltecato
    15 years ago

I've had one outdoors for a couple of months. It lost about half its leaves when the temperature dropped recently, but it's still alive.

• reiver
    15 years ago

Nice plant! Santa was good to you.
    I have to keep mine misted because spider mites seem to be fond of this plant. Luckily no mites in house for quite awhile on anything.
    Sits in a window and I have to turn it often to keep the branch from leaning to the sun.
    Like caudex1 says a great winter grower. Always something green throughout the year when you collect succulents.
    One of my favorites.

Mike

• joscience
    15 years ago

It is hard to tell from that picture since there isn't much for scale, but that looks like a pretty hefty Brighamia! Great present!

I've only had mine for a few months now, but it just started putting out a flush of leaves after a really full set of blooms. In habitat, they grow all year, flowering in winter. If you can provide them with warmth, you can grow them all year in your collection too. I brought mine inside after the first round of rain last week. I don't mind it being wet, but with our cooler temperatures, I didn't want it to go dormant. I'm hoping to get it back outside after out current round of rain lets up.

Like Mike said, they can be spider mite magnets. I talked to a few people experienced with this species, and they've all said the same thing. Always water these overhead, being sure to soak the growing point. I guess spider mites prefer not to take baths...

Congrats again Joe! Be sure to post some more pictures when you get it potted up.

Next year, when yours blooms, be sure to smell the flowers! They're lovely !

• joeplant
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I didn't realize they were winter growers, not that it matters. it does matter about the spider mites,not thrilled to hear about that.the base is just shy of three inches thick and the plant is about 20 inches tall.it came from california and before I bought it I asked the seller if he would send it with heat packs being in single digits were I live and he said that he didn't ever use heat packs and he would gauranteed it would survive. said he sent them all over the united states year round and never lost one yet.so after about a week of thinking about it I thought what the hell.it arrived in a blizzard snow storm and he was right.he has 14 more for sell and would be tempted to get one more.(for my birthday in april) joe