SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
victoriaelizabeth_gw

Crazy kitchen-addition & patio. Redesign w/o total renovation?

VictoriaElizabeth
11 years ago

Hi, this is my first post on the decorating forum… I mostly used the bath forum when we were doing our bath remodel, but for what I need now, I’m not quite sure where to post… I decided on here, because what I really want is aesthetic input.

Our previous owners added a badly-designed addition off our old-house kitchen:

There’s a lot going on here, but to sum it up, that’s a powder room boxed in, in the corner, and the exit door is cut on an angle… like I said, a lot going on.

We’re trying to decide on how to deal with the back wall of the house. The half-bath is obviously an eyesore, and we’re not sure if we’re keeping it. I did an informal poll over on the kitchen boards, on the value of a half-bath that’s more or less IN your kitchen, and I was surprised at the overwhelming “keep it” votes.

We haven’t decided yet about the bath… although if we take it out, we’d do some large windows, which would really make the space much nicer… Either way, we’re planning new French doors... And obviously paint.

Anyway, my real question is about the exit. The bigger half of the problem is that the addition is not square, and exits out onto a patio that has to be about a million pounds of concrete.

In order to square off the back of the addition, we would need to somehow redesign the exterior stairs… moving them to be flush with a new wall, which will leave a huge mess on the patio… which gets into the realm of replacing the patio… which is an expense I do NOT want.

It would be easy to quickly get involved in some giant, project-related expenses… before we even got to the kitchen! We want to improve the addition cosmetically, without doing a total gut-job and starting from scratch.

We’re well into our third-year of this remodel, and I’m ready to be done. I am tempted to say-- leave the stairs on the angle, if they can somehow be made to look less bunker-like. My feeling is that redesigning the whole patio/back of house is not worth it! Yes, it would look “better,” but I’m not sure the degree of difference matters.

However, at this point, I’ve gotten used to the unusual layout, and am not sure if I’m even still a good judge about it… you know how when you live with something for years, it looks totally different to you than the day you moved in... Plus, when we started it looked WAY, way, way, worse, so in comparison, it’s actually pretty!

What are your thoughts, aesthetically on the stairs/cut corner/patio exit?
Am I deluding myself that paint/possibly new stairs are a solution to this layout?

Any suggestions for solutions that don’t involve total removal, or building entirely new deck/patio?

Thank you so much!!

If needed, here are more photos: of inside the addition. of the kitchen. of the layout/patio

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchen board poll I took on keeping/removing the half-bath in the corner.

Comments (25)