SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bizabet

feline acne won't go away!

bizabet
12 years ago

my 5 year old neutered indoor male has developed a minor case of acne. He had it twice before but a little tending took care of it. Not this time! So far:

I switched to ceramic, and also to a more shallow dish.

I've tried swiping under his chin with a damp rag and then with a alcohol wipe after he eats.

I tried scrubbing with acne pads (this was what I was told to do years ago with my first cat and it worked on RUdi the first two times. Now the vet says not good, and it wasn't working anyway)

I've tried scrubbing with antibiotic soap. (Yes, he'll let me do that, but it's hard to get all the suds out)

I took him to the vet who advised scrubbing with alocohol wipes in lieu of the acne pads, and also put something white under his chin (antibiotic?)

I've tried scrubbing with the alocohol wipes.

I took him back to the vet and got a long lasting shot of ab's. Vet also said that sometimes some 1%cortisone was needed, so when the ab shot didn't clear it I started rubing a little dab of hydrocortizone in once a day.

All of the above would some evidence of improvemnt but nothing is clearing it up. I've been using the cortizone on him nightly for a week now, and he still gets BIG black heads and then you can fill a big squishy lump under the skin. It's obvious that those are pretty tender, but I did manage to gently squeeze one--barely touched it and it just shot gunk out. Today it is still swollen and there's another one! Sometimes he just has scabs, probably from digging at night. I have on occasion gotten a big hardened oil plug out, and sometimes 'whiteheads'.

Help! Any advice anyone? Do I need to be doing all of the above everyday, cortizone twice a day? None of the other cats are having a problem, but since this can be/is an infection, is it transmittable? I have 2 black cats--I wouldn't be able to tell they had black heads until it was practically terminal.

Comments (11)