SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lilacs_of_may

Kitty won't bond

lilacs_of_may
17 years ago

I've had this cat, a beautiful Ragdoll, for almost a year now. I adopted him out of the shelter, and he apparently came from a bad home. He was owner-relinquish, but he came in underweight, lethargic, matted, dirty.... Obviously not well taken care of.

Now, a year later, he's healthy, of a good weight, and reasonably content. He likes playing with my other cats, but he only tolerates me and sometimes not even that. I've always made sure that I talked to him and greeted him, like I do the other cats. I pet him and tell him how beautiful he is. Sometimes I can't help it and I pick him up and cuddle him. He's never mean or moody. He'd just simply rather not.

Once in a while he will purr when I pet him, but that's rare. Essentially I'm just the automatic feeder device. It breaks my heart to think that I can't get close to this beautiful, sweet kitty. I've even considered hiring an animal communicator to see what's up in his little feline head.

Advice? Suggestions? He's my cat, and he's got a home here forever. But he's the only cat I've ever had in my life who has never bonded with me. And one of the reasons I wanted a Ragdoll is because they're especially cuddly. Another of my cats is a Ragdoll mix, and he is a very friendly, affectionate cat.

Comments (22)