SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
greenhaven_gw

Help coordinating island color

greenhaven
10 years ago

Good morning! After several weeks of reading and research and seeing how quickly costs add up in a kitchen reno DH and I have decided to do a mid-range facelift in our kitchen. We bought a new fridge, (smaller, it fits its new spot better) ordered new countertops and will be subbing in four new cabinets that match closely enough with our current ones and painting the whole shebang. Oh, and adding dark pulls on everything.

Here is my question about my island (pics linked in thread below):

I am painting perimeter cabs a soft/antique white (probably) and countertops (including island) will be Bedford Marble Corian.

{{!gwi}}
{{!gwi}}

I desperately love the look of rich dark oak with a lighter top like more of a silvery white and want to reface my island cabs this way. However, and mostly I agree, the KD at Home Depot said that if I were to contrast the island the top should match the perimeters, or if the tops don't match the bases should.

I am having a hard time letting go of my thought for my island, but I do want it to be a cohesive part of the whole kitchen. Not sure I like a dark-stained wood beneath the countertop I have chosen, so now I am open to thoughts of a medium grey on the island or just painting it to match.

I still desperately want to find a way to make a dark-stained island with a light top (Ripe Cotton or Birch Bark or Sea Salt) work and if I figure it out soon I can get my order changed.

Can you help? I am going to have to start this soon, so any input you have will be very welcome.

Oh, and while I will continue reading and researching painting my cabinets I would not mind some input on that here, especially in regards to using chalk paint. I am intrigued by this method.

Here is a link that might be useful: kitchen as it is now

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Buckeye Restoration & Remodeling Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Central Ohio's Premier Home Remodelers Since 1996