SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
uxorial

accent color for monochromatic bedroom?

uxorial
15 years ago

Some of you may remember my post many months ago about changing my master bedroom to a monochromatic scheme. Except for a few things for the walls, the bedroom is pretty much the way I want it. For the winter, I kept a couple items that had some dark green (just the throw with the bears on it and the metal box on the headboard), but I want a different accent color for spring/summer.

Here are a few photos of the current look (well, close enough anyway; I've moved a couple things around):

bed area (ignore the beach photos, they're being tossed)

{{!gwi}}

vases over French door

{{!gwi}}

birdcages on armoire

(The other side of the room, not shown in these photos, has a dresser with a woven off-white table runner on it, a chest of drawers with an ivory placemat and a small ivory lamp, and a window (with no curtains).)

So I have a few questions for you all:

What accent color do you think would look nice? Walls and ceiling are cedar (it's a log home). Furniture is oak. Carpet won't change, unfortunately (it's really shabby, but it won't be replaced until we remodel the master bath). My husband already thinks the room looks cold because of all the white/ivory, so I don't think a shade of blue would please him. I lean toward strong, bold colors rather than pastels.

How much of the accent color should I have, while still maintaining a somewhat monochromatic look? I'll keep the stars above the bed, birdcages, geese/swans on the headboard, shells on the nightstand, and bedspread. I will probably take the drapes down. Should I change the candles, vases, placemats on nightstands, table lamp, sheets?

Should I put anything on the top of the "headboard" at the ends (above the glass-front cabinet)? I was thinking of matching baskets with greenery and a few flowers. Would that be too much? Would they compete with the stars? The stars are 3-dimensional.

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH