Zojirushi breadmaker question
14 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (22)
- 14 years ago
Related Discussions
Zorijushi Bread Maker or Breville Breadmaker?
Comments (12)A couple of months ago, with the help of GW experts, I decided on the Zoji Virtuoso from BB & B with a 20% off coupon, which helps a lot on the hefty price. I absolutely love it. It bakes perfectly. No problems at all. I can't compare it to anything, since I have never baked breads before, but I have had no failures. Have made cinnamon rolls twice (baked in the oven), several basic white loaves, a whole wheat jalapeno and jack cheese loaf, two pound cakes, and a cinnamon raisin loaf. All of the latter were baked in the machine. The Virtuoso completely solves the crust problem. Breads in the Virtuoso have come out perfectly brown all around, as you can see in the link I posted at the bottom of this entry. You have your choice of 3 crust darkness levels. The one below is medium. I used light for the poundcakes. I don't know how to link to more than one thread, so here is the title of the thread where people were helping me choose a machine: ''Time to spend my Christmas $$$--Which Zoji?'' You can search for it, if you want to see what I was told. I started a few threads with the first breads I made. Here's a link to the first one: Here is a link that might be useful: First bread. This post was edited by Bellsmom on Sat, Mar 2, 13 at 21:58...See MoreTips/Advice for Newbie Breadmaker (machine) user?
Comments (6)Lora, I make all my bread in the bread machine. French bread, Italian bread, foccaccia, rye, honey wheat, cherry yogurt, chocolate cherry, multi-grain, sourdough. It all goes into the bread machine. I don't bake it in the machine, only because I don't like the crust, it gets softer than I like it, kind of steamed. I put my bread machine on "dough", let it run though the cycle, then form it into loaves or dinner rolls or cinnamon rolls or whatever, let it rise and bake it in the oven. First, AP flour is fine, I used it for years. The bread flour sometimes makes a lighter loaf, especially if whole grain flours are also used, but I successfully use King Arthur AP all the time. It's a higher protein flour than Gold Medal/Pillsbury/etc., but it's still just AP flour. In addition, King Arthur Flour Company (I think it was them) did a study and found that bread machine bread actually rose higher and had a better texture than even bread made by hand, the machine was made for exactly that purpose. Rye bread? Sure, I do it in the bread machine. I like the darker pumpkernickel, the molasses and cocoa makes it dark, but I make the lighter caraway rye too. Here's a recipe for the dark stuff: Bread Machine Pumpernickel For a 1-1/2 to 2-pound bread machine: 1 3/4 cups lukewarm water 1/4 cup vegetable oil, room temperature 5 Tablespoons molasses 2 Tablespoons wheat gluten 1 teaspoon salt 2 Tablespoons caraway seeds 4 Tablespoons cocoa powder 2 3/4 cups rye flour 2 3/4 cups bread flour 1 teaspoon sugar 2 teaspoons yeast for bread machines Place all of the ingredients in a bread maker in the order given. Set machine for regular cycle and light color, and press the start button. When the bread is finished, remove from the pan and transfer to a board or work surface. Cover bread with a sheet of plastic film, then cover plastic with a lightly moistened kitchen or tea towel. Set aside to cool. This is wonderful with unsalted butter while still warm. Or refrigerate bread to firm it up, then cut into thin even slices for pumpernickel sandwiches. I don't have any trouble with grains on the outside of the loaf, I just brush with egg white or an egg wash, then sprinkle with the grains or seeds and bake in the oven. I'm not sure how you could do that in the machine other than brush the top and sprinkle. I've also found that almost any bread recipe will work in the bread machine. I've used Ann T's Italian bread recipe, Julia Child's French Bread recipe, Grandma's bread recipe that's at least two, maybe three generations old. They all work, I just put liquids in first, then dry ingredients, set to dough and let it go. All these loaves are bread machine bread, including the rye: Well, you get the idea. Do anything you like in the machine, what's the worst that could happen? It's just flour, water and a bit of yeast. It's not expensive (too much) so if a loaf doesn't happen to turn out just like you want it, it's not a big loss and it can always be bread crumbs or croutons! Then, when you get really confident, you can start on sourdough. (grin) Annie...See Morebreadmaker recommendation please...
Comments (25)pfmastin - Bread machine recipes yield approximately 1-, 1-1/2-, and 2-pounds of dough, and are printed as such in the bread machine cookbooks and recipes. The bread machine only bakes one loaf at a time. I use the bread machine for making the dough only and I bake the bread in my regular oven or convection/microwave oven. By doing so, I utilize the large 2-pound recipes and divide the dough into more than one loaf. I can get 3 small loaves (under 1-pound of dough each), or 2 regular size loaves from most 2-pound recipes. I generally make recipes that contain 5-6 cups of flour and well over 2-pounds of dough. With that much dough I make a 1-pound pullman loaf. This makes a crustless, square loaf of sandwich bread (hubby takes sandwiches to work 2-3 days). The remainder of the dough may be used any number of ways - another regular loaf, pecan or cinnamon rolls, dinner rolls, hamburger/sandwich buns, hot dog buns... The Zo has a flour capacity of 5 cups - this is important to know if you are going to bake in the machine. If you make a recipe with more than 5-6 cups of flour, you will want to use the bread machine for mixing/kneading ONLY. Take the dough out as soon as the kneading in done and put the dough in a dough rising bucket (or bowl) to rise. You need to scale the dough (weigh it on a kitchen scale), divide it, and scale it again for the proper size pan you want to use. You'll often find a recipe that says it's 2-pounds is 2-pounds 8-ounces. General guideline for loaf sizes. Farm Loaves - 10x4-1/2" pan - 4-5 cups flour = 2-3-pounds dough 9x5" (are designed for quick breads) - 4 cups flour = 2-pounds Standard - 8-1/2x4-1/2" - 3 cups flour - 1-1/2-pound Medium - 7-1/2x3-1/2" - 2-1/2 cups flour - 1-pound You can also make consecutive recipes of dough in the bread machine. I do this by making the recipe on the Quick Dough Cycle. As soon as the dough is done kneading, I unplug the machine, remove the dough and put it in a dough rising bucket. I add the ingredients to the bread machine pan for another recipe to the bread machine. On a marathon baking day, I've made 4 consecutive recipes. -Grainlady...See More1 pound breadmaker?
Comments (2)Just two of use here too, and we typically use a 1# loaf of bread each week. BUT, rather than making only one small loaf, I love the fact I can make 2+ pounds of dough in my Zojirushi bread machine. By using it for making the dough and baking outside of the bread machine, that amount of dough makes two 1# loaves (use one and freeze one), or one 1# loaf and make the remaining dough into an 8-inch pan of dinner rolls, OR 6 hamburger or hot dog buns, OR 6 cinnamon or pecan rolls (I place them in my jumbo muffin cups for baking, which holds six). I wrap these extra items in foil and stick them in the freezer. I often make the dinner rolls into "ham buns" and freeze them in a package of two. These are a quick meal on soup and sandwich night. Just stick them in the toaster oven for 12-minutes to re-heat. Frozen burger buns are used for not only burgers, but shredded beef or pork quickly becomes bbq sandwiches on them. I keep single-servings of Sloppy Joes in the freezer and hubby likes to take them to work in his lunches. I use my Zojirushi X-20 bread machine all the time because I make all our breads. I never bake in it, however, and I wouldn't be without it. -Grainlady...See More- 14 years ago
- 14 years ago
- 14 years ago
- 14 years ago
- 14 years ago
- 14 years ago
- 14 years ago
- 14 years ago
- 14 years ago
- 14 years ago
- 14 years ago
- 14 years ago
- 14 years ago
- 14 years ago
- 14 years ago
- 13 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
Related Stories

KITCHEN APPLIANCESConsidering a New Kitchen Gadget? Read This First
Save money, time and space by learning to separate the helpers from the hassles
Full Story
KITCHEN STORAGEGet It Done: How to Clean Out the Pantry
Crumbs, dust bunnies and old cocoa, beware — your pantry time is up
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGN12 Items Worth a Spot on Your Kitchen Counter
Keep these useful tools and accessories out in the open to maintain high function without spoiling the view
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGNHouzz Call: What’s Cooking in Your Kitchen?
Most of us turn to recipes, videos and culinary shows when we cook. Where do you set your cookbook, tablet or TV screen?
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGNLove to Cook? We Want to See Your Kitchen
Houzz Call: Show us a photo of your great home kitchen and tell us how you’ve made it work for you
Full Story
MOST POPULARKitchen Evolution: Work Zones Replace the Triangle
Want maximum efficiency in your kitchen? Consider forgoing the old-fashioned triangle in favor of task-specific zones
Full Story
grainlady_ks