SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vacuumfreak

made scallops, first time :o)

vacuumfreak
14 years ago

I have never made scallops before, but a post on that balsamic vinegar thread inspired me. I've never even ordered them at a restaurant before, but I have like the ones I've stolen from friend's plates. I can't believe I just paid 20 dollars for a pound and a half bag of FROZEN scallops (the "fresh" ones in the seafood section were a little cheaper, but they were OUT of them, and the sign where they should have been said "previously frozen" so what's the point?). I didn't know they were that expensive, but it's fun to try new things. I made coconut rice to go with it, which was also a first time thing. I bought expensive jasmine rice per the recipe. If the recipe didn't state what kind to use, I'd probably have used plain ol' white rice not knowing any better.

The scallops were easy to work with, and thank goodness they didn't turn to rubber when I cooked them. I'm very happy with the way they turned out, and that aged balsamic vinegar is fabulous!

Here's a pic... we'll see if it loads... gardenweb seems to be having problems at the moment. And the new photobucket lay out made my head spin, why can't they have a simple "revert to classic" button like Yahoo did?

As always, thanks for the advice and tips here!

This was the recipe I used for the scallops. Though I liked it, I think next time I'll just fry in butter and use salt and pepper.

Thank you, Rob333 for the recipe:

Balsamic-glazed scallops

Total time: 10 minutes

Servings: 4

16 sea scallops (about 1 1/2 pounds)

Sea salt and freshly ground white pepper to taste

1/4 cup top-quality aged balsamic vinegar

1 teaspoon very sharp Dijon mustard

1/2 teaspoon tamari or soy sauce

Dash cayenne

4 tablespoons unsalted butter

1 tablespoon chopped chervil

1. Rinse the scallops and remove any white membrane. Pat dry and season well with salt and pepper. Set aside.

2. In small bowl, whisk the vinegar, mustard, tamari and cayenne. Set aside.

3. Heat the butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Carefully lay the scallops into the sizzling butter and cook until crusty brown on the first side, about 1 to 2 minutes. Turn each scallop over.

4. Immediately pour the vinegar mixture over the scallops. Cook them 2 to 3 minutes, until just cooked through. Spoon the remaining glaze around the scallops and sprinkle with the chervil. Serve immediately.

Each serving: 262 calories; 29 grams protein; 7 grams carbohydrates; 0 fiber; 13 grams fat; 7 grams saturated fat; 86 mg. cholesterol; 353 mg. sodium.

This was the coconut rice recipe I got from about.com. I added a couple tablespoons of white sugar, which took it from pretty good to excellent! I like everything sweet.

Coconut Rice

* SERVES 4

* 2 cups Thai jasmine-scented white rice*

* 2 cups good-quality coconut milk

* 1 3/4 cups water

* 2 Tbsp. dry shredded unsweetened coconut (baking type)

* 1/2 tsp. salt

* 1/2 tsp. coconut oil, OR other vegetable oil

* Optional: 1-2 Tbsp. toasted coconut for garnish (see instructions below recipe)

Preparation:

For a "rice cooker" version of this recipe, see my: Thai Coconut Rice (made in a Rice Cooker) Recipe.

1. Rub oil over the bottom of a deep-sided pot. You will also need a tight-fitting lid.
  2. Place rice, coconut milk, water, shredded coconut, and salt (plus flavoring and sugar, if using) in the pot and set over medium-high to high heat.
  3. Stir until liquid comes to a gentle boil (stirring will keep the rice from sticking to the bottom of the pot and burning).
  4. Once the coconut-water has begun to gently bubble, stop stirring and reduce heat to low (just above minimum). Cover tightly with a lid and let simmer about 15 minutes, or until most of the liquid has been absorbed by the rice (to check, pull rice aside with a fork to see down to the bottom of the pot).
  5. When the liquid is gone, turn off the heat, but leave the covered pot on the burner to steam another 5-10 minutes, or until you're ready to eat. Tip: Your Coconut Rice will stay warm this way for up to 1 hour or more, great for when you're expecting company!
  6. When ready to serve, remove the lid and fluff rice with a fork or chopsticks. Taste-test the rice for salt, adding a little more if needed. Serve right out of the pot, or place in another serving bowl. Top with a sprinkling of toasted coconut, if desired, and ENJOY! (see below for toasted coconut instructions).

To Toast Coconut: Place 1 Tbsp. dry shredded coconut in a frying pan over medium-high heat and stir ("dry fry") until light golden brown (see: Toasting Shredded Coconut.).

Comments (20)