SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19778634

Can you believe it?

User
12 years ago

Dick Van Dyke 86, marries a 40 yr old?

What is the world coming to? You know it has to be for the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. If I was 40 there is no way I want to look at a 86 yr old first thing in the morning. Marriages, Divorces, Killings, it never ends.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dick Van Dyke Marries

Comments (28)

• pekemom
    12 years ago

She must have $$$$ and fame signs in her eyes.....LOL
    I'm 65 and wouldn't be interested in an 86 yr old man,
    My mother is 88 and my son is also 40.....weird..

• lynn_d
    12 years ago

What a disappointment.

• dedtired
    12 years ago

My dad was 33 years older than his second wife. She was three months younger than me. It was so weird. Talk about "a nurse and a purse", and that's exactly how it turned out. He had a stroke and was disabled for five years before he died. She died just a few years later at 55.

At least Dick Van Dyke didn't leave anyone else to be with this young woman. I hope they have happy years together. He seems like he's pretty lively -- for his age. I also hope he has a pre-nup and a will that leaves his estate to his children.

I've always enjoyed his work as an actor.

• sushipup1
    12 years ago

I hope they are very happy. You may recall that Tony Randall was well over 70 when he married a younger woman and fathered two children before he died.

Here is a link that might be useful: Interview with Heather Randall

• mary_c_gw
    12 years ago

Well, the judgemental biddies are at it again, aren't they?

My DH is considerably older than I. We have been together for over 30 years. It's likely I will outlive him. That will be the saddest day of my life.

The clucking and gossiping from my parent's contemporaries has never let up in all this time. "OMG, it'll never last, OMG he wants a nursemaid, OMG she wants his money".

Sometimes love just happens.

Dick Van Dyke isn't known for casual affairs - his last relationship was for over 30 years.

But cluck away.

• pekemom
    12 years ago

Sorry for posting my take on something and ending up offending others. Lesson learned.

• kacram
    12 years ago

I hope he has a ball!

• wildchild
    12 years ago

I wish them well. Yes the age difference is wide but she is a 40 year old woman, not a teenaged bride or some Hollywood starlet.

He has an excellent track record in the marriage dept. considering the usual stuff in Hollywood.

I think it's unfair to assume it's about money. Sometimes wit ,charm, a good kind nature, and friendship are more important than pure lust or money.

• pammyfay
    12 years ago

I saw them on the pre-Oscars show (the red-carpet part) -- he was being interviewed, and he introduced her. They looked cute together! And he really didn't look 86!

Maybe she just makes him feel young! And he really does seem to have that humorous personality that transcends the TV cameras, so I can see how he'd be fun to be around (I'm not commenting on the sex part!).

He's had a rough life, with chemical dependencies, after all those pratfalls on his TV show. So let the good times roll!

• jannie
    12 years ago

OMG! I'm nearly 60, and he looks OLD to me!

• arkansas girl
    12 years ago

I think it's ridiculous...but that's just MY opinion. I'm also wondering, they called the lady he was with before "his partner of 30 years" but yet he marries this one? Does that mean he never married the woman he was with for 30 years? IMHO it's ALL about the money! I'm not saying this woman couldn't enjoy his company but to get married at 86? Let's just say that if I were to marry an 86 year old man, it would definitely be for financial reasons! HA!

• paula_pa
    12 years ago

He has been in the public eye for so long that I can see how she could see him for more than just an 86 year old man. I mean, if you just happen to meet an 86 year old man, maybe that's all you'll see - an 86 year old man. But with celebrities who still appear in their youth on your television regularly, it's much easier to see them differently.

• susanjf_gw
    12 years ago

lol..my fil didn't wait a year before he remarried, back in the 80's..then when that wife passed he went for a another replationship. it just ended with the passing of his lady love (they figured out finances were esier if you didn't marry)... frankly if he wern't 89, and having some health problems (and could drive) i wouildn't put it past him to find another gf...and the ladiess have always been so willing and HE's not rich!

• pekemom
    12 years ago

Be careful what you post folks, apparently your opinion could lead to name calling, as I found out. Ouch!!!

• arkansas girl
    12 years ago

Well, until they tell us that our opinions can only be a certain way, I'll just keep giving it...I think no one really cares anyway...HAHAHA!

• katlan
    12 years ago

I guess the real test would be if she would have married him if he wasn't rich and famous. But we'll never know that. I guess there are cases of true love but I think the "for money/fame" cases far outweight them. And that's my OPINION, and I know it's not worth 2 cents. lol

• oldgardener_2009
    12 years ago

When I was 40, I wouldn't have gone for a man who was 86, I know that for sure.

But everyone is different.

• User
    12 years ago

I had rather marry someone near my own age, or at least in the same generation. I would not consider a much older man, but many ladies do. Not for me, at least.

• Lily316
    12 years ago

Rick Santorum's wife, Karen lived with the doctor who delivered her when she was 20 and he was 60!! She left because he didn't want any more children(his kids were probably 20 years older than her). He's 90 now, and it said in the Newsweek article he also performed abortions. 40 years..now that's a two generation difference.

• nanny98
    12 years ago

I am checking in with the idea that perhaps they had a "6 year " friendship that developed during that time...and they just wanted to be together for whatever time they have together. Bless them...I hope they have many more years to share each others' company.

• lynn_d
    12 years ago

LOL!!!!

"Well, the judgemental biddies are at it again, aren't they?"

• Adella Bedella
    12 years ago

With Hugh Hefner it is skeevy. With Dick Van Dyke, I think it may go deeper. Appearances being what they are, it doesn't seem as shallow. I hope the two of them have lots of happiness.

• cynic
    12 years ago

Pekemom, don't let it bother you. Hey, one of the SOBs (solipsistic old bittys) here tried telling me not to go to her favorite stores! You think I let that get under my skin? LOL Naw. And she can continue to make up stories and print her prepared diatribes that don't even apply and have the go-girlers chanting their mantra as much as they desire. Gives us something more to laugh about!

Personally I'm wondering why Dick Van Dyke didn't go for a young woman instead of such an old one. He's going to have to be careful with someone her age! Don't suppose he's after her money is he? Aw, couldn't be. Not DVD.

Oh, Arkansas_girl, a lot of us have been told how we're supposed to think and post here! LOL Haven't you? ;)

• arkansas girl
    12 years ago

If no one had their own opinion, it would be very boring indeed! Reminds me of Pinterest, apparently unless you love something, you can't say you don't like say a 19 inch pair of shoes with glitter all over them...HAHA! Or the person with the ugliest tattoo you've ever seen in your life or the hair that looks like they put their head into a pitcher of koolaid. Hey until they have a rule that says "please no opposing thoughts/comments!"...if it's THAT crazy, I'm going to comment.

• sleeperblues
    12 years ago

Well, I'm taking it that you might have hurt Mary's feelings. She obviously is sensitive about the issue. Perhaps she lashed out and now regrets it? Who knows.

As far as DVD, whatevs. It's his life. At least now he has someone to take care of him and have coffee in the morning with.

• sheilajoyce_gw
    12 years ago

I suspect partly the idea of marriage is to protect her rights as his spouse should he be in ICU or with power of attorney or even in his will. He is quite young at heart. Nevertheless, I would not have been interested in that age difference in my 40s.

• joyfulguy
    12 years ago

Hey - I'm over 80.

Not Dick van Dyke ... plus ... don't have a lot of money.

Anyone know where I can find an eligible 40-year-old?

But ... if I had a lot of money - would I want to make her POA ... for health?

Methinks - not!

If I make my kid beneficiary of a half-million insurance policy ...

... do I fear going to his house for dinner - in case he might poison me?

Well - if maybe not for half a million - how about a million?

An eligible widow asked a guy if he'd marry her for a million ...

... he clapped his hands, did a little dance and allowed as how he sure would ...

... and when she asked him if he'd marry her for a thousand ...

... he straightened up, got an injured look on his face, and asked what she thought he was!

She replied, sweetly, that they'd already decided that - now they were just discussing price.

(I think that I first heard that story with the man as the initiator).

'Nuff said, I think.

ole joyfuelled

• pekemom
    12 years ago

I'm sorry if I offended anyone, but all the time I've been here I've never called anyone names, I'd let it go if I didn't agree, since they had the right to their opinion as well as I did. I guess it caught me off guard....