SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joann23456

Please help with our kitchen design

joann23456
16 years ago

I think we're going to be able to start our long-awaited kitchen remodel soon - hooray! I've spoken with designers at the big box stores, done about a zillion plans on my own, and read a whole bunch here over the years, but I don't think I have the design right yet. I'm hoping you all can help.

Our kitchen is fairly small, 13x14, and not open to any other rooms. Our house is 90 years old. I'm hoping to create a simple kitchen with a vintage-y feel, with painted, stacked cabinets. The biggest problem I have with my kitchen design now is that the traffic pattern cuts diagonally through the room (and that won't change), with the sink on one side and the range on the other.

In order of importance, these are the things I'd like the remodel to accomplish:

1. Put the cooktop (or the range) near a sink.

2. Give us a small eating area with at least three seats.

3. Put the oven(s) on the wall, as I already have trouble using and cleaning the oven in the range, and that's only going to get worse with age.:)

We can't move doors or windows, but there are no other constraints on where things can go. We have an open basement, and moving things around is relatively easy.

I'm including three pictures. The first is an aerial view of the kitchen with measurements. (FYI, even if it looks as though there's more room for cabinets than I'm accounting for, there isn't. I just didn't draw so well.) The other two pictures are close-ups.

I know the area around the island is tight. I don't mind the 3' aisle for cooking at all - it's more than I have now, and I never feel crowded. And the chair in the cooking area would be mine, so no one would be sitting there while I'm cooking. The eating area is really only for family breakfasts and snacks, as we always eat dinner and entertain in the dining room.

I also know it will be a bit of a pain to walk around the island to get to the fridge, but I can't figure out how to get the fridge, a sink, and the stovetop or range all in the same half of the room.

Feel free to suggest something entirely different, if it occurs to you. I'm grateful for all suggestions!

An aerial view of the kitchen. The entrance at the

bottom right of the picture is from the main hallway. On the

top left, there's a door to the back yard and an entrance to

the laundry area and downstairs bathroom.

{{!gwi}}

To the left as you walk in from the hallway

{{!gwi}}

To the right as you walk in from the hallway.

I know the cabinets look a bit off. That's because

I couldn't get the heights, the spacers and the cover

panels to align correctly in the planning tool.

{{!gwi}}

Comments (7)