SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
michelle_phxaz

I want to rescue a kitty

michelle_phxaz
12 years ago

I have three healthy cats already at home, but in the parking lot at my work there is a cat that looks like he was tossed from a moving car (the lot is right next to the highway). He has what looks like road rash on his head behind his ear, and in the last week it has healed some but it needs to be looked at.

He is the sweetest, friendliest kitty, he comes right up to you and lets you pet him and let me examine his wounds, so he seems domesticated. He gets fed by several employees, so he is being well fed. The problem is I don't want to just bring him home without knowing if he has FIV or other diseases that can infect my cats. If he is good to go, I will end up keeping him.

There will be a MASH unit (mobile animal hospital) that does spaying and neutering and will give him all his shots, take care of his wound and test for feline diseases at a discounted charge, I cannot afford to take him to my vet for all of that, but the MASH unit won't be here until 5/19, another 10 days away.

I have a room at home he can be in by himself until then, but is that safe enough for my cats, not being allowed contact but having him in the house? I want to get him out of the parking lot ASAP, I know he wants to be loved and know he isn't feral.

Please let me know what the best thing to do is. My cats obviously come first and I can't risk infecting them by bringing him home, but I don't know how feline diseases are contracted.

Comments (8)