SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sleeplessinftwayne

Ginger Kitty needs another kitty to play with

sleeplessinftwayne
15 years ago

Ginger has been unhappy since the cicadas aren't around any longer. I am still finding their perfect remains all over the house, mostly in the houseplants. She may have brought them in as toys but she didn't damage any of them. Strangely gentle for a cat.

She doesn't try to catch the birds any more but it seems the chipmunks are the new game in town. The worst part of it is she brings them inside, too. I stepped out of the shower the other day and started into the bedroom just in time to see a chipper dash across the dresser with Ginger in full pursuit. My jewelry case didn't get broken but it came open and there were earrings and necklaces all over the floor. Once she catches the chipper she takes them into the dining room and releases them. Then she turns around and walks a few feet away from them. As soon as they start running she is after them again until they get into the laundry room. That seems to be their safe place. This past weekend DH and I had the joy of trying to capture three of them at the same time while trying not to step on Ginger who was delighted to have us joining her in the new game.

I think I am getting too old for this. It is really amazing that she does not injure them. She may have hurt the first one she caught several weeks ago. She was very upset about it even though she didn't kill it. She released it and then put her paw on top of it and it wouldn't run even though she kept nudging it. I think it may just have been too scared to run. I carried it to it's hole in the ground and it moved pretty fast to get inside. Did I mention that she had a chase with a flying squirrel last month?

Does any one know what to do about all this? I really don't want baby rabbits or a possum in the house. She is really interested in that possum. Sandy

Comments (5)