SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dawnp_gw

Calling cat owners - need advice about my new kitty

dawnp
12 years ago

I apologize in advance for the all the details but am hoping that you "kitty experts" will have an idea about my situation.

Let me say that this is the first time I've had a cat.

My college age daughter's cat has spent quite a lot of time with us and when she took her back to school after the holidays, DH and I decided we wanted a to adopt our own. Her cat is really friendly and always hangs out with us, lets you pick her up etc.

We went to a wonderful local shelter and chose a 7 month old brown tabby. We originally were going to get a younger kitten but it was heartbreaking to see all those beautiful older cats that often don't get adopted. We picked her because she was purring like crazy when we petted her. She was found stray with her mother at 3 months/ lived with a foster mom for 2 months and was at the shelter for 2 months. Her foster mom said she was affectionate, sat on her lap etc.

We have had her for two weeks and we have done everything suggested by the shelter - kept her in one room for a few days and have let her explore the rest of the home at her own pace. She does come out and hangs around - mostly at night but is not that friendly. If you go toward her, she usually runs. Once in a while she will come up on the couch next to me and roll on her back and go to sleep. She likes to be petted when she's eating but otherwise, she tires of it quickly and will scratch.

I do see progress because she was terrified of my DH at first an now will be in the room with him. She does purr in the morning when she first sees us and when we play with her with her wand.

Does anyone have a guess - will she continue to get more comfortable and be more social or will she always be aloof and skittish? We are so spoiled with my daughter's friendly and confident cat that my husband is wondering if we made a poor choice.

No worries, we will not be returning her to the shelter. I couldn't do that to her.

Any similar experiences or knowledge anyone?

Thank you for reading!

Comments (28)