SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sleeplessinftwayne

The new kitty cat plans to stay

sleeplessinftwayne
16 years ago

The kitten that showed up at our door a few weeks ago seems to have no plans to go elsewhere and we have given up trying to locate the former owner. She is a pretty little thing and I am constantly amused and amazed at the intelligence she shows beyond what I could term curiosity. We have cupboards hidden in the redwood wall in the dining room and we watched in amazement as she walked right up to them and started to look for a way to open them. People don't notice them! DH mentioned she had been sitting in front of a very large storage cupboard in the office and when he opened it she dashed inside to investigate each and every box and used the shelves to get in reach of the other three doors so she could pry them open. She figured a way to open the spring loaded folding doors on the closets so they are always open now. The only interior doors that are safe are the pocket doors.

When DH is showering in the morning she noses her way into the bathroom and elicits mutters and imprecations about the cold air. She purtles cheerfully and marches away. DH swears she is laughing at him. When I am showering she launches herself at the glass door until I talk to her. She can't let me be in the bathroom alone. In fact, we have noticed she follows me from room to room as if she doesn't want to be left alone, which is a problem if I get up at night with no lights on. She found a way to get on the beam in the kitchen ceiling. We need a ladder to do that.

She purtles a lot, more than I have heard from other cats. It is as if she is asking a question or telling us she wants something or is just curious about something new.

We are more and more certain someone hurt her. She is very protective of her stomach and won't sit on our laps. She won't let us hold her either although she shows a lot of affection. She is very worried about our feet. We are worried about her crossed eyes. They don't seem to be getting any better although she still has a very good sense of space. Maybe it is congenital. It was a surprise when she got on the sofa and kept moving closer to me last night. Maybe one of these days she will trust us more. This is almost like having a toddler in the house. Sandy

Comments (28)