SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
phish_gw

Bringing in a new kitty as a friend for my newly-alone old kitty?

phish_gw
13 years ago

I had to put one my kitties to sleep last week. (Thanks again to all who responded to my posts about where and how to do this, your advice really helped). The whole family is heartbroken. His brother now seems sad and lonely and we are toying with the idea of getting him another kitty/kitties.

If this worked out, he could have a new kitty friend and would be less lonely. Also, I think this would help me in the future when I lose the brother.

If this didn't work out, he could feel more lonely and rejected and might feel like I only liked the cool new young kitty.

I'm going to experiment with other kitties first (like having a friend bring over their cat for a visit). And if I did do this, I would do everything I could to make this a positive transition for my older cat. I did have an overlap in the past between my former kitty and these 2 kitties, when he was old and they were kittens and it worked out OK. I can't say the old cat loved the young ones, but he didn't seem to mind them and they seemed to like and accept him.

That said, does anyone have advice on this? Have you brought in a new kitty when an older one dies and how did the remaining older one respond? Any advice on whether to do this and how to handle it? Any advice on the right timing for this? Thanks in advance for your help.

Comments (21)