SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
plllog

Finally finishing the finishes! TKO to the max!

plllog
15 years ago

I've started to reply to countless threads and didn't post because I didn't have anything worth adding to the discussion. I finally realized what I really needed to do was share my progress:

The never ending kitchen design is about over, and we're less than a month from the true demolition! (Workmen start next week, but nothing gets torn out for at least three weeks.) The windows, for better or worse, are finally ordered, I've bought a slab of soapstone for the island and outdoor counter, initialed the materials for the cabinets and refined the designs, and gotten a sample door and samples of the knob colors. The solar system which had been waiting on the global shortage of panels, has been inspected so the kitchen permit can be opened, and I've decided on 90% of my finishes. This is so exciting!!

Please ignore blue tarp. :)

The colors as on my monitor are pretty accurate. The floor is sparkly white tile, the doors are blond bamboo, the island soapstone is a very dark green, and the perimeter tile is mostly yellow-greens, the backsplash will modulate up into pale yellows to orange (not shown), and the paint color is the little spice orange chip.

There's not going to be much paint. Mostly the bamboo forest up to the ceiling. The paint is basically in doorways and behind a couple of long shelves. Maybe a little around the windows, but I don't think so. The ceiling will be a light tint of the wall color.

And the spots? Those are the pretty parts of the glass pebble knobs. I'm not going to use many of the really dark one, but otherwise a fairly balanced distribution.

Just wanted to share with people who understand TKO...

Comments (34)

• raenjapan
    15 years ago

Looks both gorgeous and unique. I can't wait to see the finished product!

• plllog
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, Raenjapan! Me too! The three month delay has made the packing things up a lot easier, and means I don't have to worry about not having heat during the dust part, but I'm right and ready to start using my new kitchen. All of my choices have been function first (not going for the kind of glamour one sees in kitchen portn), but I'm so pleased with how pretty the finishes will be even so!

• Related Discussions

just how tko are you? i'm so tko that...

Q

Comments (73)
    I am SOOOOO TKO that I bought 4 lights for the kitchen, when I only need and will use 2. "Just in case, I change my mind" - was my reasoning. Geez. Glad I remembered to keep the receipts. I did the same thing with cabinet hardware. I have 2 full sets - only need ONE! I am worse that TKO - I am a KITCHEN FREAK! On a more positive note - the kitchen is painted and the cabinet installation starts tomorrow. My payoff in advance is that I am having the housekeepers come today to clean up - a girl has GOT to have SOME sanity - and what's that old saying? Cleanliness is next to Godliness? I am just too pooped to do it myself.
    ...See More

Help this single guy out...midcentury beachhouse TKO

Q

Comments (48)
    @halocrime: Your kitchen looks so cool! Love the backsplash and wall color you chose! @amyrsq: I actually ordered the window because I couldn't wait :P I ended up adding about 700SF to my travertine order so I had to save $$ somewhere :) @jrueter: Well I went to IKEA this weekend and 2 things struck me: Solar is being discontinued and overall their cabinets are too flimsy for the price. I was quote at $3K for IKEA and essentially $4200 for Shenandoah/American Woodmark. The difference to me in quality is worth 2-3X the cost. I just don't think I can stomach IKEA cabinets in my kitchen (not trying to offend anyone!). I think I'm going to put my color either into the countertops or the backsplash, or both. @monkeymo: You're probably right actually. I'm willing to bet Schuler really handpicked the wood for their display doors since they want the most consistency. I'll probably stay away from the all natural look. @sochi: Exactly, I was thinking something along the lines of iridescent blue/green accent tiles in the backsplash. Not all glass but trav/glass mix possibly.
    ...See More

Finally finished - here are my pics!!

Q

Comments (19)
    Thanks for so many nice complements! Thanks Laurie_2008, I forgot to mention my hardware, it is Amerock brand, from the Mulholland Collection in satin nickel. We are loving the transformation - we were living in a small 71/2' by 111/2' family room and a small chopped up kitchen to this lovely family kitchen/living space. With to little ones (aged 4 and 17mos.) it is so nice to know that we will have a beautiful space to live in, enjoy, and grow together. Thanks for all your great feedback. I'm also pleasd to answer and questions you may have.
    ...See More

Finished finally!

Q

Comments (44)
    pricklypearcactus-(what a name!)...I have the link to photobucket at the top that has all the photos from renovations...some include close up of the counter and backsplash etc...if you don't find what you need I can take some more-send me an email if you want. Thanks everyone...I am so enjoying the new space we have with the wall gone...and loving everything. Learning to cook with the new gas oven too-it's a dream, I love the wave touch feature. We splurged on the dishwasher and I'm so pleased it is quiet-our old one was 28 years old and very noisy!
    ...See More
  • elizpiz
    15 years ago

Plllog, what great choices! Can't wait to see how it comes together. I LOVE your tiny paint chip - imagining how much zing that will add.

Please keep us posted!
    Eliz

• rhome410
    15 years ago

Can't wait to see it all come together!

• gldnfan
    15 years ago

We have similar taste in color - a friend looked at my kitchen choices and said in a not entirely positive way ;-) "That's a lot of green." LOL I told her I can never get enough green! I love the pairing with the orange shades. I bet it will have a fresh organic feel to it.

• plllog
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Rhome--me too!

Gldnfan, I have red hair so wear a lot of green. I have a green car. I have green stone on the hearths and three lav tops. I was sure I wasn't doing green in the kitchen. I was going to do something different! I started thinking white bamboo with turquoise bioglass counters or dark blue pyrolave. I was going to do a very modern look. Maybe offset with a florentine cut floor tile. But the tile was too dark, and it was all way too expensive. Yes, indeed, this lord-have-mercy-don't-ask kitchen of mine is the budgetwise version. :-D

But it's okay. I fell in love with this bamboo when I first saw it. It's not too yellow, no VOC (I'm allergic to formaldehyde) and the center is cross stacked instead of flat ply which not only makes it stronger, it gives a pretty edge detail. And then I fell in love with these handmade tiles. The whole line. But the soft greens looked so good with the bamboo. And I finally found the mythic hard green soapstone. And then I saw the knobs on a wearying trek through HomePortfolio.com and woke up, sat up, and said "Eureka!". Green it is!

The white floor is to bounce natural light since most of my surfaces are matte. It's also textured so there'll be no hydroplaning on puddles (I splash). Finding that was an adventure in itself.

The orange paint was the easiest part! I'd been thinking of just this shade, went to the paint store, and there it was. It's Fine Paints of Europe, #90, I think.

• cat_mom
    15 years ago

Love the greens! Must be the year for greens--saw a lot of happy green paint users over in Home Dec recently. We're in the process of choosing a green paint for a small "office" in our house (pretty sure it will be BM Affinity/Aura in Spa). Your green pieces are going to look awesome with that orange paint you've chosen. They'll really "pop," esp with your sparkly white tile.

BTW, thanks for the advice on my white paint thread (I'm still trying to decide!).

• chloe_s_mom
    15 years ago

What about the colour of the grout for the floor?

I've never seen bamboo for cab doors - really looking forward to see more progress pics!

Tell me more about soap stone being outside - I'm curious

• mom2reese
    15 years ago

Oh, what a tease!

I love your choices and can't wait to see it all come together!

• danielle00
    15 years ago

that is going to be amazing! hurry up and finish so we can see your final results! I love the floor you picked out.

• plllog
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Cat Mom, thanks for reinforcing the greens choice. I'd been thinking green was so over. Not that it stopped me! But I'm glad to know I'm not that far out of step. :-) I really like "spa". It's one of those fabulous murky ones.

Chloe's Mom, I'm not sure yet about the grout color. If we can work out the dates my preferred tilesetter is going to do the floor in a total random pattern. If so, I'll probably do something a bit darker than the tile to enhance it. If we go with a set pattern that only reads random, I'll probably do white so as not to call attention to the repeat. Any suggestions?

The soapstone outside is mostly a budget issue. I'll have half a slab leftover (small island) and am putting a narrow serving counter outside the patio window. The tile will be level with the window frame, which is about 4" wide, and then the outside counter will also be level. I've been challenging my contractor. :-) The alternative to using the soapstone would be using more of the very pricey tile... I live in a very mild climate, so don't really have weather issues about them. Both are non-porous. The soapstone is hard (for soapstone), so I think it will be good. If anyone thinks otherwise please let me know!!

Mom2reese--Oh, I'm sorry!!! I didn't realize until you said so that the title could be read as finishing the kitchen!!! I only meant that I've finally about finished choosing the finishes. Considering how long this has been going on, that's a real trick. I almost backed out and went with the soapstone on the perimeter, once I'd finally located it, but that would have changed the hardware and the wall color and too much else and I just couldn't do it.

I'm really glad you like the choices! With any luck we'll be finished before Independence day.

Danielle, many thanks! The floor is the only non-gray, non-beige, white floor tile with a really non-slippy texture I could find--but the finding delay, and a detour into looking at Marmoleum, led me to the most fabulous eco-design store. They have great things like countertops (not for kitchens--too papery) made of sunflower seed husks.

• krissd
    15 years ago

Love your choices. What is the top tile with the flowers? Is it tile? Is that a liner under it? I like it, whatever it is. And, if I remember, yours is the kitchen with lots of space and pantries? Can't wait to see all of it come together. Even though I can't wear orange (except I am an OSU Beavers fan), I love the orange and green together. Very fun! Go beavs...

• busybme
    15 years ago

Ooooh, it will be fun to watch this kitchen come together! Really bold choices and very different...and you are so organized! Good job so far and thanks for sharing.

Sandy

• palimpsest
    15 years ago

Who makes the white floor tile?

• plllog
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, Kris! Yes, mine is the excess of pantries plan. :-D The top tile is an example of the field tile main color. They probably won't be parallelograms, though I might use that shape instead of rectangles on the backsplash. I'm going to use several greens, and several of the stencil patterns (the stencil is fired in the glaze), to create a pond theme on the countertop. They're Architerra Northwest brocade patterns. There will be at least one tile with frogs, and some of them will have dark gray stencils rather than cream. The one beneath is actually a V-cap. It's bullnose with a bead. I'm not usually a fan of either bullnose or beads, and the rise isn't very high (for keeping drips from dripping) but I just love it.

Sandy, if I weren't organized about the construction I'd have pulled the covers over my head and quit a long time ago! The great thing is my contractor is even more organized. Thanks for the compliments. :-)

Palimpsest, the floor tile is Stonepeak "white cotton". Trust a fiberartist (me) to find tiles that are inspired by broadcloth and brocade. :-) They also have a "linen" (beige) and "tweed" (charcoal gray).

• cat_mom
    15 years ago

Hmmm...murky...and here I was thinking soothing and relaxing (yes, I am very much influenced by the name! LOL).

:-)

• plllog
    Original Author
    15 years ago

LOL! Sorry. Murky is good! I meant "complex". Hard to create. Not something you can easily get by fingerpainting. Full of maturity and depth. My whites are tints of Maya--a Benjamin Moore color that's 100% murk (and on one wall full strength). Spa is also soothing and relaxing. Sometimes I wonder about those names--the master bedroom is Warm Blanket.

• holligator
    15 years ago

I can't wait to see all this come together! I love your greens and the bamboo, and I think it will be gorgeous. You're so brave putting in a white floor, but I think it will be stunning.

• cat_mom
    15 years ago

Full of maturity and depth. Now that description I like! Wish I could say the same for myself... ;-)

I actually did know what you meant though; just thought it was funny (LOL funny) when put that way!

BTW, what color is Maya? Not finding it on the fan deck. Is it that orange chip you have in the pic? It looks terrific with the different greens.

• megradek
    15 years ago

VERY cool combos. it should look great together. My friend has blond bamboo cabs - so beautiful.

• mom2reese
    15 years ago

LOL, I was just teasing you, plllog! I love your enthusiasm! I'm 99% done with my kitchen - haven't decorated and just lost steam. Your enthusiasm is getting me excited again :)

• plllog
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, Holligator! It's so great to know others think these are as gorgeous as I do. The floor isn't brave (LOL!)--it's functional. It's glazed porcelain tile, so really easy to clean. It's white with sparklies, so will bounce up a lot of light, especially window light, and because it's stark white it'll be really easy to see where the dirt is, so I can spot clean rather than mopping the whole floor every time I spill something.

Cat Mom--the Maya is is a kind of olivey mud color, emphasis on the mud. It might not have been a Benjamin Moore color after all. It was all BM paint, but I might have found it in another line, though the color I have isn't the same as the Pratt & Lambert Maya. Or it could just be retired. The spice orange only has a number, not a name, and is a Fine Paints of Europe chip from the display next to the BM. :-)

Thanks, Mairin! I'm glad to hear the bambboo is beautiful installed, too. (I keep joking about the bamboo forest but, yeah, there are going to be a lot of floor to ceiling stripes.)

Oh, Mom2reese, I'm so glad you were teasing. I wouldn't want anyone to be disappointed to just see a bunch of samples laid out on a tarp. Getting out of the remodelling phase is such a relief, isn't it? I'm glad to share the enthusiam--I've been positively giddy!!

So I'll share a joke: I've been picturing the kitchen being 100% complete down to the chairs. But I don't have the chairs. I don't have time to look for the chairs. And it took me years to find dining room chairs. Years. I can't wait years. While cleaning the other day, I actually looked at a couple of out of sight out of mind chairs that had been stashed in a corner I rarely see. They're durable, comfortable, and, um, ugly? The were free in 1991, having been abandoned in a building the gov't seized and sold. So I have chairs. They even go with the finishes. And they're comfy. And the price is right.

Shall we make a deal? I'll decorate if you will? (HEEEEE!!!)

• chloe_s_mom
    15 years ago

Don't joke about the chairs!! I've seriously been looking online for swivel chairs for my kitchen (albeit it with a single pedestal leg - not, according to our office health and safety folks, the *dangerous* 4 pronged leg types).

Wow, I'm blown away with your planning, knowledge of the materials, colours, shapes, etc.

When I first saw your samples, I thought, wow, wouldn't orange grout be cool? Not sure why I thought that (other than the fact that I adore orange....and green...and pink...heck, I like most colours!). Probably not a sensible choice for a grout colour, bec it wouldn't be easy to change if you were to decide to repaint. Green, on the other hand....? Then again, the tiles are stunning enough on their own (sparkles win any day, in my book), to not need a flashy grout.....hmmm, what about caramel/blonde to go with the bamboo.....?

• krissd
    15 years ago

Back to the tile - I love beads and I love the stencil idea, so I am excited to see the tile finished. What inspired you to come up with the pond theme for the island? I love that you're not doing the run of the mill kitchen. (I am)

• plllog
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Chloe's Mom, I was joking about the ugly--the swivel is fine. But, yes, very dangerous. I've been plopped onto the floor by these several times. Swivel pedestal chairs would be cool! Very mid-century. We had them when I was little (Atomic age, but swivel).

I thought of orange grout too! And nixed it for the same reasons. But also because I don't want to call attention to the floor. I had a really dynamic floor once and learned my lesson. If you have a really really great floor people will look at it. I want them to look up. :-)

Kris, it's the perimeter that will have the pond. I flirted with granite that looks like river rock for the island, but wised up. It would have drawn all the attention, and I really don't like granite for kitchen counters. Hence the tile. :) The inspiration for the pond was really the tiles. The frogs. And waterlilies, vines, bamboo and ginko blossoms. I just loved them. And everyone has been giving me grief because the giant

I painted where there are no upper cupboards is going away. This'll give 'em something to look at.

• arleneb
    15 years ago

Looks like your kitchen will be a FUN place to be! It will be fun for us to watch this one develop . . . I love your sense of style.

• chloe_s_mom
    15 years ago

I LOVE the giant poppy - I was thinking (before I replaced it with one with a window) of painting a poppy on my front door. You can always come to my house and paint poppies wherever you see fit :)

• chloe_s_mom
    15 years ago

I LOVE the giant poppy - I was thinking (before I replaced it with one with a window) of painting a poppy on my front door. You can always come to my house and paint poppies wherever you see fit :)

• cat_mom
    15 years ago

Ooh! LOVE the poppy, too!

• plllog
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hm... Poppy and no uppers or the Bamboo Forest!! Nope. No saving the poppy. I know I've erred too much on the side of function, but after suffering with a low function kitchen for seven years I'm just going to have to deal. with it. I've actually been thinking that if the Bamboo Forest becomes overwhelming I could vinyl wrap some of the doors. I got talked out of doing some in an alternate style. Thanks to those who love the poppy, but it's a goner. I'm thinking of doing a mosaic in the laundry room where one could see it when the door is open....

Hostagrams, thanks for the kind words and encouragement.

BTW, Chloe's Mom, painting poppies is pretty darned easy. If you find a place for them, go for it! The main thing is that the real ones are very flat in color (well, except some hybrids). Because of that, you have to go all Picasso on them and provide the shadows and movement by using a lot more variation than nature provides.

• Fori
    15 years ago

I approve. The blue tarp ain't bad either, but a more subdued blue would be better. :)

I don't see fridge handles.

• plllog
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Fori, you never cease to make me laugh. Sorry about the blue. I have natural canvas, but it doesn't provide enough contrast.

The fridge handles, as well as other appliance pulls are probably going to be from the same artisan as the pebble knobs. All of the hardware will be satin brass, though the banding on the hood might be hammered brass. I'm not sure about the inlay for these. Still working on it. :)

• krissd
    15 years ago

Gorgeous poppy!!! Are you an artist in real life? The handles are cool, too. Is that a LeCreuset collection in the photo?

• plllog
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, Kris. Yes, I'm an artist, but I only paint occasionally. I work mostly in fiber. And, yes, the red and orange pots are Le Creuset. I got my first one on a whim in an all electric rental with a pushbutton cooktop. Loved it. Love it on the gas. Love it on induction. Love my Le Creuset. Gonna love my red pots on the black cooktops on the green counters under the green hood. But I might also get some of that John Pawson Demeyer because it's just so gorgeous.

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville