SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
will_work_for_roses

just how tko are you? i'm so tko that...

As I'm sitting here perusing the forum it occurs to me how TKO I am. I'll start:

I'm so TKO that... I'm in Maui on a sunny afternoon and yet I'm in my hotel room surfing on the kitchen forum.

Comments (73)

• 16 years ago

I am so TKO, that I cannot watch a movie with a kitchen set without totally losing track of what's going on in the movie while I stare at the kitchen set's backsplash, countertops and appliances. Who cares what Meryl or Denzel are saying? I'm checking out the choice of cabinetry...

It all started with "Something's Gotta Give" (Ohmigosh, that white kitchen!), and most recently made me feel most foolish during the movie "Ratatouille" when I was checking out the La Cornue ranges, which, were, of course, only drawn, since it was, after all, an animated movie.

However, I felt less silly and more justified when a thread appeared on this Forum, chimed into by similarly TKO-ers, about the La Cornue's in the Ratatouille movie!

I also notice the kitchens on TV commercials.

• 16 years ago

OMG I thought I was the only one who noticed the Ratatouille kitchen. ROFL. I must have missed the thread about it.

Kitchens in movies and commericals - I'm happy I have dvr now because I just pause them and stare at the cabinets and then play when I'm ready lol.

• Related Discussions

OT, but so true of the TKO

Q

Comments (11)
    oruboris...I'm sure the joke was told that way for 50 years by men, in bars and in mens clubs and in locker rooms before someone turned it around. Its a joke, lighten up Francis.
    ...See More

How do you know you are TKO?

Q

Comments (33)
    Uh oh - I'm relating to everything on this thread - both kitchen and bathroom related. I went into a very nice bathroom in a restaurant recently and was able to ID the faucet. (Also greatly admired the tile!) I absolutely pause the TiVo when we come to certain kitchen scenes (and in one case, a gorgeous blue paint). Before I started my kitchen remodel, I hit all the open houses in my neighborhood to see what other people - both remodelers and builders - were doing. (One "luxury condo" made me laugh because the finishes were so poorly done!) Now that I'm redecorating my living room, I keep pausing the TV to check out certain decorating details - lamps, chairs. I spotted a leather storage ottoman I'm considering in one show - cool. And a style of lamp that I decided was too trendy. I'm still insanely in love with a table lamp from Meryl Streep's living room in "It's Complicated", but I haven't been able to figure out who the manufacturer is. You can be TKO in rooms besides the kitchen. :-) (When I started this whole process, I told my friends I didn't care what it ended up looking like so long as it was "nice". They didn't believe me. Ha.)
    ...See More

omg so tko..,.. hope you can relate!

Q

Comments (11)
    Ok, I'm reading this thread and it's like reading my mind. I have scoured the web for information about (honed) white marble countertops. And then I found the Garden Web. There is a great thread all about this subject, if you search. Really, really great information. Also, here are two links to websites that I found where people actually did testing on honed marble to see how it held up. http://bluebonnetinbeantown.blogspot.com/2010/04/imperial-danby-marble.html AND http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://urbangraceinteriors.typepad.com/the_blog/images/2008/04/30/dsc00332.jpg&imgrefurl=http://urbangraceinteriors.typepad.com/the_blog/2008/04/index.html&usg=__ADItX4pCvelYSWBbUvi92u9VjOQ=&h=311&w=415&sz=63&hl=en&start=40&itbs=1&tbnid=5rgX9ICIxom2TM:&tbnh=94&tbnw=125&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dhoned%2Bwhite%2Bcarrara%2Bmarble%2Bcounters%26start%3D20%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26gbv%3D2%26ndsp%3D20%26tbs%3Disch:1 Another good site about marble facts and the care is: http://www.marblecleaning.org/phpkb/article-1069.html I also have several friends who have personally used honed white marble and they LOVE it. They are patinas, not polishes, but they also claim it remains unstained (and they all cook). I've also read that the thin, green Scotch Brite pads work wonders on cleaning the marble, and I would also look into using a good impregnator to seal it. The one that I'm going to use (because, yes, I have definitely decided to toss caution to the wind and go with my dream of honed white marble countertop) is made by Dupont and is called Bullet Proof: http://www2.dupont.com/Stone_Tech_Professional/en_US/products/Protect/bullet_proof_sealer.html Good luck, and stick to your guns. If I ever finish my kitchen I'll post pics. This site has been invaluable!
    ...See More

TKO - you think?

Q

Comments (3)
    TKO?? Me?? No...not at all. I am pretty sure you are though....that is TOO funny!!
    ...See More
  • 16 years ago

How many of us carry a tape measure with us all the time? When I was buiding my home (I was the draftsperson)......... everywhere I went for two years I measured things. I always have a tape measure, sometimes no lipstick though.

Oh, this is SO me. Don't let anyone within hearing distance of me ask "how high/wide/deep/tall is that?" I'll tell ya!

• 16 years ago

I'm so tko that I check this forum every day at work between posting journal entries. My tape measure also has a post-it pad and pencil in the cash...it's right here in my pocketbook...next to the tile sample for the powderroom...

• 16 years ago

I don't consider myself TKO--really--but whatever's going on, surfing the kitchen forum in Maui doesn't strike me as oddball at all. With a Mimosa in hand, that's just about a perfect vacation. Have you started touring industrial backroads looking for local tile yet (been there!)?

• 16 years ago

I'm surfing the Kitchen Forum sitting in the Palace Hotel in La Paz, Bolivia (honest!). I sent DH up to our room and said "I'll only be a little while, honey." Right. That was, hmmmm, how long ago? But this may be my last chance for more than a week--I don't think I'll make it....

• 16 years ago

I'm so TKO that while I was in Maui I was driving around to all the granite / tile / kitchen shops near the airport. I never told DH, he would have killed me ;-)

• 16 years ago

I'm so tko that even though our kitchen addition project has been cancelled, I'm still coming to this forum to read and see what you all are doing! I am living vicariously through you all! We are now house hunting and I look at each house through the lense of "what could I do in this kitchen?"

• 16 years ago

Mahlgold - Me too! Hitting refresh and it's 12:30 am. Just got home from moving my SIL into her new house, watched LSU beat Ohio state and then straight to the forum to see what's going on - no matter I've been up since 5:00 am and have to do all over again tomorrow. LOL BTW, I was checking out SIL's kitchen - needs updating in a big way - maybe I can turn her on to the forum. Misery loves company. :-)

• 16 years ago

A) Of course I carry a tape measure in my purse. It's a tiny leather one from Restoration Hardware that appeared in my stocking one Christmas, from dh

B)rosie - What granite places by the Maui airport???? Although we have a rental car, I doubt i can get any home lol. But are there showrooms here? What types of stuff?

By the way, at the Ritz in Maui the bar is honey onyx lit underneath so you can really see all the waves of color. While everyone else was drinking, I was asking the bartender about how easy was it to clean, does it stain, etc. And then I bent underneath the bar to see how they did the lights before I realized this must look odd to others.

• 16 years ago

This is TOOOOO Funnnny!!! When you think you are the only one that has lost control you come here and realize you are NOT alone. I am not only TKO I am GWO. I HAVE to go to the GW site at least 10 times a day. MOre if I have a post that is getting response. It becomes a habit. I have decided I have to start treating myself like a kid. "OK now you have to earn your privilege to go the the GW. You have to do some work first." Otherwise I find myself still in PJ's at lunchtime.......

BTW: I also carry a measuring tape and sticky pad for notes. I want to get one of those tiny spy cameras so I can sneak pics... You never know when you might see an inspiring idea.

WOW that honey onyx sounds beautiful. Can you get a pic? See you need that teeny camera.

• 16 years ago

Further to my earlier post about watching the animated movie Ratatouille, for all you TKO's out there, here's the range that was drawn in the movie. It's the La Cornue Chateau model. It costs about $30,000. The Ratatouille kitchen had about 5 of them:

La Cornue Chateau (click on pic to enlarge)

Also, I remember a New York Times article discussing the film, which indicated that the Disney Pixar people are similarly TKO'd. To create and draw the kitchen set, they had the torturous task of eating their way through Parisian
    4-star restaurants and the famed French Laundry restaurant in Napa. They toured these restaurants' kitchens, and duplicated their set-ups for the movie. So we are not alone!

• 16 years ago

I'm so TKO that, when DH came home from work yesterday and I asked him how his day was, he chewed me out because... Not only did he notice the countertop in the men's room at work, he checked out how the undermount sink was set in, thought about whether he would want a sink like that, and examined the seaming on the counter! (I think he almost got caught - lol.) This, from a guy who, when we got married, had to be talked into buying something to sit on in the living room. (And the only way I won THAT argument was because he fell asleep in the chair in the showroom. This was in the late 90's, the showroom was going out of business, and a big cushy chair and ottoman were $300. He thought that price was outrageous; and we were so naive that, when the salesman asked us if we wanted to purchase a stain protection treatment, we thought he was trying to snooker us and declined.)

And I know what you're all talking about with refreshing the site several times a day, checking for new posts, saying "This one time, on the Kitchen Forums..." I have two friends left - aside from DH, who's obviously trapped and infected - who'll talk about kitchens with me. My mother's had enough (lots of polite subject changes lately - lol), and I've learned my lesson with the people who Just_Don't_Get_It. I have to remind myself that, when people ask how the family, the house, and I are, they don't want to know about the agonies of faucet placement!

BTW, wasn't there a similar thread to this at the end of last summer? I did a quick search, but didn't see it.

• 16 years ago

You refresh the site just "several times a day"? That's a lot of self control, cate 1337!

I'm so TKO that I check my JUNK mail box before I check my inbox because that's where most of the GW answers go. I have to sort through all of the "trouser anaconda" email trash to find what's most important. (I didn't make that quote up, by the way.)

• 16 years ago

LOL! I admit, it was a Bill Clinton definition of "several."

Trouser anaconda?????? This is why our grandparents, I hope, aren't doing e-mail.

• 16 years ago

I'm so TKO that even though I started my kitchen remodel ummmm gad DS was 10 months old and he's 27 months old now....and because it's taking so long....I actually purchased another house with a disaster kitchen to "live in during the remodel" (which of course really means another kitchen to design) :o)

And with that level of TKO'ness...you'd think it's enough....I am now looking at kitchen number three...before kitchen number one is ever finished.

Want to talk BKO? I've got that too!

• 16 years ago

hmm, does checking the site several times a day from a hospital bed count?

it was great, living vicariously through all the posts here when my own kitchen remodel was going on without me ...

• 16 years ago

I'm so TKO and BKO that I've been periodically looking at GW through out the day, that I'd guess I have spent about 6 hrs a day on here during work days (on here at work and at home). However, I do keep my weekends for actually doing the important things like picking out fixtures and paint.

• 16 years ago

My kitchen was done in 2001,....and I STILL come here a couple of times a day. I find that I don't post much, but alas, here I am.

Wouldn't want to be out of the loop or anything.... LOL

• 16 years ago

I'm a lurker that is so TKO that tonight I'm going to sleep in the kitchen next to my newly installed fridge under the newly operational recessed lights (dimmed for sleep, of course). :)

• 16 years ago

I'm so TKO that I love this thread!

I'm so TKO that I keep the Kitchens Forum open in one tab whenever I need to go look up something on the Bathrooms Forum.

• 16 years ago

Ok, help me out here. TKO=Totally kitchen obsessed. BKO= What? Barely Kitchen Obsessed?

Anyway, I don't get to even start my build until March of 2010 (stationed in Japan until then) but I'm already here several hours a day, and picking out appliances. But I get to build my kitchen from scratch! Anything I want! I'm giddy.

• 16 years ago

I'm so TKO that I gave my architect a copy of my design and told him to build the rest of the house around it! Best Decision ever!

• 16 years ago

Never having visited this thread before, I was sure "tko" meant "totally ticked off" -- but that doesn't "scan", does it? :>)

• 16 years ago

I'm so tko that I am STILL having kitchen dreams only now they're different then before. Now I just dream in message board format.

• 16 years ago

I'm so TKO (I just started my remodel 2 wks ago) that yesterday my DH took me to get a massage to relax.
    During the soft music (birds chirping, spring creek sounds) I pictured My countertop and my backsplash in a little sailboat going down the stream. The massage didn't help. And the dreams are every night!!!

• 16 years ago

LOL You have to be Totally Bathroom Obsessed (TBO) to easily read and type BKO and know it actually meant TBO in your obsessed mind!

(Or you have to have just spent 55 days in the hospital with a two year old and have generally lost your mind all together).

• 16 years ago

i-chic--and you have THREE kitchens (and lord knows how many bathrooms) to work on as well!!!

• 16 years ago

I was in Rae, which is one of the nicest new restaurants in Philly. While the rabbit nachoes were lovely, I was very busy checking out the seams at the bar (really not a very good job...was there any quality control!). My kitchen just needs the last coat of paint to be done. My kids cannot figure out why I am on here still! I have no other reason except that I am TKO!

• 16 years ago

Spinmom, I'm guilty as well. I went to a nice restaurant in Westchester last month, got into a friendly debate with The Husband about the composition of the lounge-area floors, and found myself down on my knees rubbing the floor while informing him, "see, check the texture, this IS concrete" while the hostess looked...well, bemused would be a kind word for it.

• 16 years ago

Ok, all together now
    Step One: We admitted we were powerless over our kitchen obsession,
    Step Two: Something about a Higher Power. What could possibly be more compelling or more powerful than granite, maple, cherry, stoves,
    Is there a retreat, a rehab center, and I don't mean a kitchen rehab, where we can reclaim our lives?
    Is a life worth living if the focus is on minutae(sp), junky stuff, like friends (all former), work, children,
    families. No. who cares about all that other stuff. Not us
    Is there a twelve step program to overcome our obsession? I dare anyone to start a program and take away our reasons for living. LOL Bev

• 16 years ago

We are remodeling nearly our entire house so I have been looking at houses to rent. Today I saw one that was the landlord's own home until recently. I didn't recognize her granite so I asked her what it was. She couldn't remember. It was kind of a splotchy brown, so I grilled her, listing all the brown granites I could remember. "Baltic brown? Tropic brown? Labrador?" She still couldn't remember, so she looked in her notebook to give me the name of her fabricator and while she was doing that I realized that not only was brown not in the color scheme of my kitchen, but that I didn't even like her granite. I also asked her about the diagonal layout of her tile, and what kind of wood was on the floor. I left having forgotten to look at the upstairs of the house.

• 16 years ago

LOL, you guys have me cackling.
    I did not think of myself as TKO, but I see the symptoms and for sure I am TKO. I have been having dreams of granite and ofcourse I checkout any kitchen I see, especially restaurants, other people's homes, if a window is open to a kitchen... (I do feel a little guilty- but only a little !)

• 16 years ago

Wacko Funny
    zeebee- on your knees in a nice restaurant rubbing the floors?
    sally-quizzing the type of brown granite ¬ checking rest of house?
    Hawaii -gw surfing?
    Trespassing and spying in open windows?
    Spinmom?
    Dreams and nightmares? Dreams in message board format?
    Finished kitchens eons ago and still lurking here?
    Each & every one of you guys are so totally ko and way beyond funny This thread is beyond beyond

• 16 years ago

Right now I am TBO. I got a job at RH and decided to buy all my hardware and lighting for the bath.

I realized when we do the kitchen I am going to get a job at Williams-Sonoma so I can buy the CornuFe at a discount.

I love my little RH job but when I do the kitchen I will need to buy everything new!

• 16 years ago

oh soshh! that's a wonderful idea!!!

I'm so TKO that I often wonder why other people aren't. Like how someone can not know, off the top of their head, the name of their granite? That's like forgetting the name of your child. shheesh.

• 16 years ago

lol!

• 16 years ago

I'm so TKO, I went to someone's house to pick them up for an event and without so much as a "hello" I breezed past them into their kitchen and started opening cabinets and checking out their countertop! It's a good thing I did too, I got some good ideas and there's NO chance I'll be invited back for a second look!

• 16 years ago

You all can decide whether this is TKO or just OCD. I replaced all the bulbs in the kitchen recessed lights with GE Edison bulbs because they didn't have any printing on the surface. Really.

• 16 years ago

I am happy to say that I am not as TKO'd as I used to be (when I was in the midst of the remodel.) It is fun to visit the forum now, read the posts, smile at the obsessed and know that I made it through it!

• 16 years ago

DH keeps asking, "What's so funny?" He hears me cracking up. Changing the bulbs because of the writing? Totally losing all sense and opening a stranger's kitchen cabinets?
    Insanity. I will have to tell my shrink!!!!Bev

• 16 years ago

This forum is the first thing I check in the morning and the last thing at night. Not to mention 5 bazillion times during the day. Am I NUTS?

• 16 years ago

bumped for the people asking what "TKO" is!! Have fun reading.

• 16 years ago

Well I know I am TKo b/c I am almost done but still buying kitchen mags-still reading this site more then any other-and trying to convince my parents to do their kitchen (with my help)!

• 16 years ago

I am SOOOOO TKO that I bought 4 lights for the kitchen, when I only need and will use 2. "Just in case, I change my mind" - was my reasoning. Geez. Glad I remembered to keep the receipts. I did the same thing with cabinet hardware. I have 2 full sets - only need ONE! I am worse that TKO - I am a KITCHEN FREAK!
    On a more positive note - the kitchen is painted and the cabinet installation starts tomorrow. My payoff in advance is that I am having the housekeepers come today to clean up - a girl has GOT to have SOME sanity - and what's that old saying? Cleanliness is next to Godliness?
    I am just too pooped to do it myself.

• 16 years ago

Love reading these - not only does it have me laughing out loud but they give me some validation vs. my non-TKO spouse! I recently had a nightmare about granite installation and I find myself eyeing people's cabinets and saying "Is that a 30" or 33" cabinet?"

• 16 years ago

My kitchen was done a year and a half ago, and i still keep coming here.

• 16 years ago

Ah, I feel like I have found people from the same planet! It is addictive, coming here AND the planning. I'm just glad to know I am not alone. Thanks for the laughs, the tips, and the reassurance.

• 16 years ago

First you have to promise to believe me when I say that I'm really a very, very nice person. I'm kind and charitable and cheerfully help out others in need. My heart breaks when I hear about sad things that happened to total strangers.

Except . . . there was an incident recently in NYC where a crane or something came crashing into a building - it was awful. And as I was looking in the paper at photos, I found myself peering at the devastation trying to see if that's a Wolf range they had there, and admiring the handles on the few cabinets that weren't destroyed.

I'm going to have to get some professional help soon.

• 16 years ago

I'm so TKO that while I have the Bathrooms forum open in one tab, because the bathroom is going to be done first whether I like it or not, I have the kitchen forum open too because I'm much more TKO than TBO.