SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
crabcakes_gw

Help this single guy out...midcentury beachhouse TKO

13 years ago

So I just wanted to start off by thanking all of you for contributing such great info! I don't think I've ever posted but I've been lurking for quite a few months.

I bought my first house 8 months ago (1965 all original) and it's 2 blocks from the beach. However, more or less the 3rd day I lived here I found a longtime leaking drain pipe that had ruined a lot of cabinets and drywall in the kitchen. Since then I have been moving walls, gutting, plumbing, etc this whole time. Being a single dude I can't afford to pay anyone to do this stuff so I've been doing it all on my own (except the electrical and drywall finish work).

It seems a lot of you are more fortunate, have started lives/families, or just have a much larger budget. Just wanted to say that go easy on me since I don't have much of a budget so I'm doing it as I can afford it :)

Status so far:

http://picasaweb.google.com/derek.monaghan/KitchenRemodel

Before:

{{gwi:1920419}}

{{gwi:1920420}}

{{gwi:1920421}}

Pocket door before

{{gwi:1920422}}

patio

{{gwi:1920423}}

{{gwi:1920424}}

Finding the leak

{{gwi:1920425}}

{{gwi:1920426}}

Ripped out the ceiling

{{gwi:1920427}}

{{gwi:1920428}}

Coat closet turned into my new pantry

{{gwi:1920429}}

{{gwi:1920430}}

Fast forward a few months, took out those pocket sliders and finished the new lighting

{{gwi:1920431}}

Pocket door gone, passthrough now

{{gwi:1920432}}

Entry pocket door gone also, now another passthrough

{{gwi:1920433}}

I also ordered new sliders and new windows for the kitchen, using an X-O-X pattern above the sink in 25-50-25. The middle window is fixed and the two side windows slide inward to the middle

So this window will be replaced

{{gwi:1920434}}

with something like this:

{{gwi:1920435}}

So my question is this: I'm planning on using ivory or walnut travertine in a modular pattern (4 tiles)

(Judydel's floor, hope you don't mind!)

I'd like to keep the beach theme going but I'm unsure if I can do this without doing an all white kitchen. I don't believe in using wood in the kitchen so the tile will be through the front, into the kitchen, and through the adjoining room. Thoughts?

Comments (48)