SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bethohio3

Hating my rental kitchen--TKO will understand

Beth
6 years ago

We sold our house in May and moved into a rental unit (a nice one, actually) until we build our house.

Today is the first day I've done major baking. Cooking dinner hasn't been too bad but I'm not in the kitchen for too long of a time or make too huge of a mess.

Because of the way the kitchen is configured, I can only use the lower shelf of the uppers--they seem higher than my previous kitchen, and I'm not very tall. The base cabinets have a wide frame, making the few drawers very narrow, and the cabinets difficult to use. (There's also a blind base and a blind upper--not that there are that many cabinets)

So, I'm spoiled. I miss my big kitchen. I hate prepping over the dishwasher (the alternative is to prep facing a wall) I miss having prep space that doesn't overlap the cleanup zone. I miss having enough secondary prep space (also not overlapping the cleanup zone) for cooling cookies. I miss my big single bowl sink (with a high faucet) in which it was easy to clean cookie sheets or a 12x18 pan.

The only things I like better about this kitchen than my old one is the French Door refrigerator and the very wide drawer for wraps/bags.

This is such a first world problem. But 11 years ago, this forum made sure I'd love my kitchen--and for 10 years I did. And I'm sure I'll love my next kitchen. And as rental kitchens go, this one is actually not bad--but I needed to whine.

Comments (13)