SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
annie1992_gw

Banana Doughnuts

annie1992
15 years ago

Mindy, I frosted these with chocolate frosting, and they didn't last long. Although I detest bananas, I even ate one and it wasn't horrible. Ashley loved them and threatened to stop eating fresh bananas just so they'd get over ripe and I'd make more doughnuts! Oh, and I didn't resift the flour three times. I didn't even sift it once, LOL, and the doughnuts were fine. I didn't chill the dough either, although it would have been easier to handle if I had....yeah, I know. I'm impatient.

Banana Doughnuts

5 cups all-purpose flour

3 teaspoons baking powder

1 teaspoon soda

2 teaspoons salt

1 teaspoon nutmeg

1/4 cup shortening

1 cup sugar

1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla

3 eggs, well beaten

3/4 cup mashed bananas

1/2 cup buttermilk

1/2 cup flour for rolling

Deep oil for frying

Sift flour, measure and resift 3 times with baking powder, soda, salt, and nutmeg. Cream shortening, blend in sugar, add vanilla, and eggs, and beat until light and fluffy. Add combined bananas and buttermilk, and stir until well mixed. Add flour mixture in 3 or 4 portions, stirring thoroughly after each addition. Chill before rolling. Remove 1/4 of dough from refrigerator at a time, knead it lightly 4 or 5 times, roll to 3/8 inch thickness, and cut with floured 2-1/2 inch doughnut cutter. Fry in deep oil heated to 375 deg F. until golden brown, then lift out and drain on absorbent paper. If desired, the dough may be covered tightly and kept in the refrigerator for 1 to 2 days, to be fried as needed.

Annie

Comments (3)