SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
yhzinpdx

Kitchen floor 1in black hex tile or herringbone 1.75in hardwood

yhzinpdx
14 years ago

Hi,

Thank you all for all your postings, I'm new here but have found the info extremely helpful! We recently bought our first home, a turn of the century wooden Victorian in need of an addition/kitchen redo (current one from 70s). My DW is completely obsessed with having the kitchen look virtually identical to the one featured in this magazine/webshow:

http://www.houseandhome.com/tv/episode/renovated-heritage-home-tour-timeless-design-brian-gluckstein

The only thing we're having a hard time with are the floors. The rest of the house has the original hardwood but we've been debating between 1" hex as in the video but black with dark grout and hardwood laid in a herringbone pattern of about 110 degrees with long narrow strips and finished in place (300sqft). I know neither are ideal kitchen surfaces but a lot is riding on aesthetics. I'm worried about the tile because of the grout, darkness and potential cracks and wood obviously has wear issues and doesn't look as kitcheny as the period tile. Can an old wood house move and break the tiles/grout over a largish kitchen? Will high heels destroy either floor? Would a combo be best? I'm also not sure which will cost more installed...

Any thoughts would be extremely appreciated.

thanks,

Alex

Comments (9)