SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sherry326_gw

Bad pet rescue experience

sherry326
17 years ago

I had the worst experience recently with a pet rescue group. Here's how it went down - I contacted a rescue group about a cat I was interested in which was posted on petfinder. After a long process of being interviewed and getting reference checked, I was allowed to pick out a cat. Each cat that I asked about for some reason, would not work out in my home. Finally, they suggest a cat which was around 4 years old and I was told he was extremely friendly. We took him home and bathed him because he was filthy. I took him the the vet right away, even though the rescuer said he'd been to her vet just yesterday. Well, he had an ear infection. The first vet didn't give me the right meds to take care of the infection, so I went to another and then several trips back to her. Meanwhile back at home, every day for over 2 monthes I was having to crawl under the bed and dig this cat out to medicate him twice a day. It would take me a good 30 minutes just to get him out. On our last trip to the vet we were told he had ringworm. Then my husband got it. Then I got it. Then as I was sweating bullets trying to capture him from under the bed, I came to the realization that he just thought I was the mean lady who was always coming at him with medicine. He had been becoming more and more reclusive and rather than warming up to the family members he was going the other direction. I called up the rescue group, she told me that I had done more than could be expected, and we agreed I'd bring him back. On the drive down we were talking about the other cats in her rescue, and again it was "you can't have that one, you can't have this one, " One of the cats she flat out said she was keeping for herself, yet it's still on petfinder. She also told me that she was totally pissed off that someone else in town had gotten to some cat before she got to him.

Where am I going with all this? This rescue group lied to me about the cat's breed, they lied about the age (he had to be closer to 14 than 4), and they lied about how "friendly" he was. I could have dealt with all of this and kept him except when he got something which could be spread to my other cats. Two days later she has the same cat listed, just as before and he's still sick! Plus, she made a nice pile of money off of me. My feeling is that this woman is merely running this rescue as a way to aquire cats for herself, and adopt out the one's she doesn't want to pay for the whole thing.

When we were in her house it was straightened up but it REEKED of urine. Just awful. Is that what all rescuer's homes smell like or is it that she has more animals than she can really take care of? I've never done this before and I was really put off by the whole experience.

Are most of the rescue groups like this, or did I just find a bad one?

Comments (16)