SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
colickyboy

argh! DW changes mind again...stainless range or color?

colickyboy
14 years ago

flip-flopping DW (bless her heart) strikes again. we went from stainless range to black to red and now she's come full circle back to stainless.

she was never excited about black, and she liked how red was a cheerful color. so we were at the store this past weekend and all set to buy the red range but were debating which red (bluestar has a lot of choices). the salesguy says to us, "personally, i wouldn't want a colored range. it's something you have to live with for a long time and you might not like red after a few years, or the person who buys your house might not like it. stainless is understated and more timeless." of course, that's all it took for DW to now want stainless. she says she's an understated kind of person (although she likes my floor tile for our 2nd floor bath remodel, which she originally thought was too risky), and she doesn't want people's eyes to abruptly stop at a red hood & range when looking at our kitchen (she wants the eyes to keep moving).

i happen to like the red hood & range (like marthavila's) and don't mind that eyes stop at them (i think that's intentional; in design circles isn't it called the focal point?). i also think stainless ranges are now a dime a dozen; it used to be uniquely associated as high-end (thanks to viking) but now it's so common that menard's sells some no-name range in stainless.

if it helps, our cabinets are cream-colored, our counters will hopefully be a dark soapstone, our floors will be a golden oak, and our home is 1911 arts & crafts.

help!

Comments (30)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz