SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alisande_gw

Medicare again.............decisions, decisions......

alisande
16 years ago

With the help I got here recently, I decided on the Blue Cross/Blue Shield Medigap policy. Now I have to figure out what to do about a prescription drug plan.

I've pretty much decided on one of the ones offered by Blue Cross. It has a monthly payment of $27.70 and no deductible. The thing is, should I sign up now or wait?

I'm not on any medications. This is not an accident . . . I take some credit for it because I put quite a bit of effort into keeping my cholesterol, triglycerides, and blood sugar in line despite a strong family history of heart disease and diabetes. However, I know things can happen, and my situation could change at any time for whatever reason.

It would be nice if Medicare recipients could simply choose to enroll later if need be. But our government punishes good self-care by imposing a penalty on those who do not enroll in a prescription drug plan as soon as they quality to do so. Here's the arithmetic:

The penalty is calculated by multiplying 28¢ by the number of months you wait before enrolling. So if I were to wait, say, three years, my penalty would be .28 x 36, or $10.08. This amount would be added to my premium every month. Using that same calculation, I would pay an additional $121 a year for coverage. If I wait longer than three years, the penalty goes up, of course. If I wait five years, the penalty is almost $17 a month. And that's by today's calculations . . . who knows how much the numbers will rise in five years??

I realize I could get hit with the need for a prescription drug on a temporary basisÂlike an antibiotic. Some of these can be quite expensive. But a year's worth of premiums to insure against that comes to $332. I'm dizzy trying to figure out the risk-reward ratio here.

I wonder what the government's rationale is for charging a penalty for those who wait?

Any thoughts on my dilemma? Thanks!

Susan

Comments (8)