SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
debbiep_gw

Seeking advice about allergic reation in dog(long)

debbiep_gw
15 years ago

Hi,its been a long while since I've posted but I do read the forum weekly to see whats going on.I need some advice,I feel that my basset Lucy(6 years old) is having a allergic reaction to a weed/weeds that she has eaten.This makes the second time she has had the same systoms in a few weeks time.There are three kinds that she wants to eat,lyre leaf sage also called cancerweed,a oat type grass that grows in a field thats in front of our house,I guess some of the seeds blowed over and germinated and another type of grass/oats that I can't indetify.She eats mostly the cancer weed and also my grand dogs eat it to like its desert.The grand dogs aren't affected whatsoever.I feel sure its this plant causing the problems.It spreads by seeds and theres no way I can treat two/half acres.My dogs have a acre fenced in to play in plus two small areas fenced in by the house to use.Lucy has not been back in the acre area alone.The time her feet hit the dirt she wants to eat grass/weeds.She has been to the vet every month and sometimes more than once a month for 5 months now.She has had everything done from anal gland expressing to surgery to have a tumor removed from her inside back leg which wasn't cnacerous thankfully,while having that procedure they looked in her stomach.She suffers from acid reflux realy bad.Her stomach was red/inflamed from stomach acid but her esopaghlus(sp)was fine.I was really worried about that.She had been using cimetidine for a year and the vet wanted me to try the other brands of medicines.We went through every over the counter acid reflux medicine and they didn't work.I suggested metoclopramide after researching and she takes 5 or 10 mg a night and it has helped alot.The first week of April she started scratching and pawing at her mouth,she had a horrible ordor coming from her body, dampness under her chin but not really drooling and her fur was green under her chin to,I related this to eating this weed.Keep in mind I do make her stop,I'm not freely letting her eat something that is bad for her(or I feel it is)anyway late yesterday I saw her nibble at it and last night the itching all over started and pawing at the mouth,smacking,etc started.She does suffer from seasonal allergies and we have predisone for flare-ups.I gave her one at 4:00 am this morning.I called and our vet is on vacation but another vet in the office said to give her another predisone today and one tomorrow and see if that gets it under control.At the first of april when this happened my regular vet didn't want me to bring her in as he feels she is a anxious/nervous dog and coming in may make her worse.At that time she was being treated for acid reflux and the allergies and he doesn't feel they are connected.That was when she was prescribed metoclopramide and given antibiotics and I was told to give her the predisone a few more days for the pawing at the mouth issues.I'm assuming its allergy related they think.I don't know what to do for her.I haven't given her benadryl(I don't like to use it for her)some medicines have a bad effect for her and I don't like giving her predisone either.To many/much medicines and she becomes somewhat aggressive.I'm giving thought to looking for another vet but I do like these and we don't have a abundance of vets here.Also in case it matters my dogs eat a chicken/rice based diet that I fix for them.It has never mattered what she has ate though as she has had allergies/stomach problems with all the diets,even eating raw.Any advice on how to keep her from eating these weeds?My husband says put a muzzle on her.TIA........Debbie

Comments (12)