SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
onyxdaily

Allergic Reaction

onyxdaily
17 years ago

I need some advice. My 7 month old black lab has had 2 allergic reactions. The first one his face and head swelled up really bad, we rushed him to the doggie ER and he got treatment (epi, cortisone and benedryl). Then 6 days later, he had another reaction, but this time his body swelled more than his face, and he had hives, too. Another trip for emergency treatment. We now have an epi pen and injectable cortisone at home to use, but I am just worried about a reaction occuring if we aren't there to help him. We think he's having a reaction to spiders, our vet also suspects spiders. And she said probably not your everyday house spider (due to the severity of the reaction), but more like a wolf or recluse spider. She also said the reactions will get worse each time. We were just told yesterday that they don't test for spider allergies because they can't immunize against them (this information is from the vet at the allergy testing lab). Their advice was to spray the yard and treat the house with spider repellant, and to get some dog friendly spider repellent spray to use on Jynx himself to keep the spiders away from him. My concern with that is even if I keep the spiders away from him, how do I keep him from going after the spiders, because if he even sees a piece of lint on the floor, he's after it. I also am wondering if there is something to prevent the allergic reaction from progressing to anaphylaxis in the first place. I know that in humans, you can give them medicine called cromlyn sodium that pretty much helps to prevent an allergic reaction from happening, or at least keeps it from progressing to anaphylaxis. Is there anyone that knows anything about this or other preventative measures / medications that we could use. Any advice, and I mean anything, would be appreciated. Thank you. Oh, I just had one other thought. I know that humans sometimes outgrow their allergies, does anyone know if this is also possible with dogs?

Comments (8)