SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stephanie_in_ga

Tell me what you think- neighbor kid issue

stephanie_in_ga
16 years ago

I live in a subdivision. Friend of DS#2 (both 11 y/o)lives 2 blocks over, we are friends w/the whole family, all that is peachy. They recently got a dog (cutest little black Pomeranian, 9 mos old, I just love him). The kid keeps coming over w/the dog, probably 5 times in the last 2 weeks. Basically, since he got the dog, he never comes without the dog. I even let the dog in the house, but I'm not keen on it b/c of my cats and it's not entirely housebroken! I'd be perfectly fine w/letting the dog hang out in my backyard, which is fenced. But it's a small dog, last time he got his head stuck between two pickets! He was fine, but we were right there to help him. So he stayed in my garage while the boys played in the house for about 30 mins, but whined and scratched at the door the entire time.

He brings the dog with no leash, not even a collar. I have a problem with this. So I told the kid clearly DO NOT bring your dog back unless you have a leash on him. He carries the dog 2 blocks, but insists the dog "always" follows him and comes to him. Yeah, right, it's a puppy! If he were on a leash, we could attach the leash to something in the backyard to keep him safe, and when the boys are outside they don't have to constantly hold the dog.

Yet the kid is here again, just rang the bell, dog in arms, no leash. I know the mom, she is a nice woman, but tends to take risks and just lets things happen, not as cautious as I am.

Am I being the control freak here? Would this situation bother anyone else as much as it bothers me?

Like I said, I really am OK with the dog on my property. I think it's cute the kid brings the dog to play with his friends, and my neighbors think the dog is cute and all. I am easy going about all kids and animals in my yard/house. I just feel I need to get snippy and insist he's on a leash when he comes here, for the dogs own safety as well as control of the chaos at my house. I don't think the mom will argue w/me, I predict she will be understanding and nice to me in the conversation, and might even send him on a leash the next time, but she won't actually change a thing in the long run.

I sort of think at this point the kid thinks I have been joking. I am just gonna have to talk to the mom about this.

Thanks for following my rambling vent. ;o) I needed to do that before I scream!

Comments (10)